Should I keep what I got - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-02-2012, 08:36 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Should I keep what I got

I just had my first stroker (386) sbc built. will be running 110 octane,solid lift cam, an edelbrock performer rpm aluminum heads 12:5:1 compression and will be driven occasionally on the street. My question is I currently have a edelbrock performer rpm intake should I keep that one or should I up grade to an air gap rpm performer or something else. Both of the mentioned intakes are good to 6500 rpm according to the website. I don't know if the air gap is going to make any difference or not. My 68 has a big block an a victor jr. This engine is going in my 67 camaro with Muncie 4spd. Any opinions appreciated.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-02-2012, 09:21 PM

Last wiki edit: Header design
Last journal entry: And still more pics...
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

I personally wouldn't change it, unless you feel that you will gain something by switching to the air gap. I personally think the gains would be minimal, and not worth it given the cost. By the description you give of your combo, I'm surprised that you aren't using something more like a Vic Jr. or Victor instead of the Performer RPM, given the high compression, solid lift cam, etc, I would expect your RPM range to be up in the 7000 to 7500 range where one of those intakes would shine. Not knowing your cam specs makes all this just speculation, though. I'm guessing you got the Performer RPM to match the heads?
Old 07-02-2012, 10:09 PM

Last photo:

Well little bit bout the cam lift 540 duration 298 I just had the intake already. I like the victor jr i didn't think you could get much more than 6500 out of a stroker. An such I was going to occasionally drive it on the street I was thinking of low end power an responsiveness . So I guess I need to ask what you guys think i should run cause I really am not sure . Gears are 411
Old 07-03-2012, 01:14 AM
Yada Yada Yada

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacman View Post
. Gears are 411
Keep the performer rpm. you won't be reving the motor high enough to make best use of a single plane manifold.

And the rpm manifold is a much nicer street manifold.

Try a carb spacer for more top end if you think it needs it. After trying it as is, first.
Old 07-03-2012, 07:07 AM
How fast is fast enough?

Last photo:

If you want to match your combo yo shluld go with the super victor. The victor jr isn't even worth mentioning. The rpm will crutch an engine that is not matched to your application but leave you short on top. A street application would call for an rpm, your engine combination calls for a super vic.

Fwiw a super vic can be completely streetable if you have a good carb.
Old 07-04-2012, 06:50 PM

Last photo:

386 build

If you are going to drive it on the street I would keep the Performer Rpm. It would be different if you wanted for all out racing. The operating range on a single plane is 3500- 8000 rpm. The operating range on your cam is 2800-7200 rpms. Is the bottom end built for the high Rpms? The 15-20 hp gain from a single plane isn't worth spending the money to me.
Old 07-04-2012, 11:18 PM

Last photo:

The bottom end is internally balanced all forged. 4 bolt main studded an a 010 block. It will be driven a few times a month on the street a just a few trips a year to the track for play time.
Old 07-05-2012, 02:21 PM
WV hillbilly

Last journal entry: PTL 220CC
Last photo:

you can use what you have BUT with those style intakes I have run I always heavily port them, for your application Id suggest a Professional Products Single plane, Much better for what you have...

People seem to forget that no matter how good your heads flow, they will only flow as much as the intake will allow...
Old 07-05-2012, 04:10 PM
More for Less Racer

With a 4-speed, I wouldn't worry about low end torque. It just isn't an issue like it is with too low a stall converter and an auto trans. Your going to be more worried about getting enough tire for traction rather than enough low end torque, once it's running.

Another vote for either the Holley Strip Dominator or the Professional Products Hurricane single planes.

You've got enough cubes, compression, and head flow that you need good intake flow for it to really shine. Your internal balance stroker will turn 7500 rpm without a problem, that "stroker only good to 6500 rpm" is a wives tale perpetuated by those who don't know better and have never done a solid lifter or solid roller 383/385/388 or 406 SBC. It'll RPM just fine

On a 380" or bigger SBC the single planes will drive just as good as a dual plane on 350's/327's. Been there, done that.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.