should i line-x the whole damn thing or what? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Interior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-28-2004, 11:26 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

should i line-x the whole damn thing or what?

having a convertible 4x4 like my 78 bronco can cause all kinds of problems from mud and water flying in to leaves and crap falling in when its parked and my rubber matting all over the truck is cracking from UV exposure so...should i line-x the whole damn interior, or would this make it unbearably loud? anybody got any good ideas on tuff interior options for me?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-28-2004, 11:44 AM
Out of the Loop Moderator

Last wiki edit: Streetbeasts links
Last journal entry: at car show
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 5

Can't get much better than rubber. Throw a tarp over it when not in use. That will help save it from the UV damage.
Old 07-28-2004, 03:09 PM
Just one of the guys

Last journal entry: Garage Toys
Last photo:

Stacy David did it to Crazy Horse on Trucks.

Kevin
Old 07-29-2004, 12:51 AM

Last photo:

so i should just do it then? who cares about noise anyway right....just get a louder stereo
Old 07-29-2004, 09:33 PM

The linx is a pretty good noise barrior so it should not be to loud, more than what you have but if there is not top just how much can hear other than wind

I say go for it!
Old 07-30-2004, 12:38 AM

Last photo:

i cant hear nuthin but wind and little chevy's screaming as they get ran over.......
Old 07-31-2004, 01:24 AM

Last photo:

I'm just finishing up my 86 F150 and decided to try out undercoating on the floor (rubberized, similar to Line-X).
It turned out great, and I'm hoping that it will keep the floor pan from rusting out the way it had prior to the resto. I've sandblasted the underside, coated it as well, and hoping this will give me a good sound barrier. The old tin floor was rusted out under the mats, and esp. where your heels go (such as clutch pedal, gas, etc...).

Hard to get a good view with the waterspots on the lens, but loving the coating already
Old 07-31-2004, 03:24 AM
**** or get off the pot

Last photo:

Do It

I did the entire interior tub on my 83 K-5, I did all the prep work (pulled the seats and media blasted the inside) then took it to the local Rhino Lining facility and had them shoot it. Line-x is good but after using Rhino Lining in all my pick ups that is the route I went. Good luck to ya..
Old 07-31-2004, 11:35 AM

Last photo:

i knew it had to have been done by someone. the underside of my bronco has already been sprayed with some sort of rubberized coating, but what sota prep do the rhino liner/line-x guys want done before they will spray it on the interior? i assume i should sandblast it or something. some of the floor is rusting out but just little spots-will the coating just fill the little holes or should i replace the floor pan? and what the diff. between rhino liner and line-x? and do they come in different colors? it gets to be 115 degrees here in chico and the black could turn my truck into a solar oven! thanks for the response.
Old 07-31-2004, 01:51 PM

Last photo:

Rhino Lining, Line-X, Hippo Liner, etc... may not inhibit the rust, just seal it in for a bit while it works away at eating more of the floor pan (although on their web site they do state: "By forming a permanent bond with the surface of your truck bed, the lining prohibits rust, corrosion and surface abrasion from damaging the truck..."). Personally I would get rid of the rust anyway possile, wether it be replacing the floor pan, using Rust-Mort, or whatever...but get rid of it, not just seal it in.

My thought is, if you just cover it up for now, it will come back, and even if you plan on selling later on, somebody else will inherit the underlying problem.

I don't know specifically what Rhino Liner or the other companies want done as prep work (our nearest facility is 4 hours away), yet a friend decided to try some Hippo Liner on his fender flares and bottom panels of his S104x4...and it ended up peeling off. He said he scuffed up the paint...

I ended up replacing most of the floor pan in my truck, sandblasted the metal that was still good, DA sanding everything down (rough sanding where the liner was going), and sprayed the floor pan with a rust proofing/inhibitor primer (from Rust Check) prior to using the undercoating. I don't know if it was the right way, but figured the rust inhibitor would keep any micro traces of rust left on the old metal from activating again if any oxygen does get to it through the liner, and the liner should have a good bond to the primer (I hope).

Rhino Liner and others do have various colours available, so you can go with whatever colour is available (only thing, light colours may show the dirt quick) and hopefully keep the truck a bit cooler in that heat (must be nice... trade ya some of our cooler temps...).

Quote:
In addition to black, red, gray and blue linings are often standard at dealerships. The linings can also be custom dyed to match your exact color specifications.
Rhino Liner FAQ

Recent Interior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.