Should I Maaco???? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-17-2004, 03:49 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Should I Maaco????

As of right now since i bought my car, it is black primer and rough spots everywhere.

Let me explain the situation.

Within the next month i will be working on my cars engine quite a bit and wouldnt want to scratch a good paint job.

I was thinking of doing my prep work and getting a cheap
$300-500 dollar paint job.

My main questions are should i do it? and how long do you think the paint will last?

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-17-2004, 06:21 PM

Last photo:

My biased two cents worth!

If the car is a Amc pacer or a Chev Vega or a Ford tempo
by all means take it to MAACO!

If its a 66 mustang like I read in your title you should be shot for thinking about it!

Just my opinion and I'm sure you will get some better advice!
Old 04-17-2004, 07:03 PM
Muscle car fan

Last photo:

Re: Should I Maaco????

Quote:
Originally posted by calimstng66
As of right now since i bought my car, it is black primer and rough spots everywhere.

Let me explain the situation.

Within the next month i will be working on my cars engine quite a bit and wouldnt want to scratch a good paint job.

I was thinking of doing my prep work and getting a cheap
$300-500 dollar paint job.

My main questions are should i do it? and how long do you think the paint will last?
a week, a month, a year, a couple years....too short anyway and if there is anything wrong with their job they will probably try to blame the crappy paint job on the prep work saying that you did it improperly and it caused the paint to go bad, so good luck trying to get anything fixed that they botch

I'm in the same stage you are, starting to prep my car, but i wouldn't take the car to maaco, and i don't think anyone who is enthused about cars would either.
Old 04-18-2004, 12:25 AM

i forgot to throw this out in my original thread after upgrade my cars performance i will begin saving money for a NEWER and better paint job, im a just wondering if this is good for short term such as a year at the most.
Old 04-18-2004, 12:38 AM
point on positive

Last photo:

If you put a speedshop job on there you'll be doing more harm than good.

Maaco is for taxicabs and ice cream trucks...period
Old 04-18-2004, 10:34 AM

how would it be more harm than good?
Old 04-18-2004, 12:13 PM
Broke

Depends. If you talk to the painter over at Maaco, let him know that your serious about having a good paint job, if you can do really good prep work yourself, i bet you'd be happy with it. Yeah, Maaco isnt that great, but i'm sure there are a few guys there that know how to do a good paint job, but because the majority of the people that go there just want paint on the car and dont care about runs or drips, they just dont spent lots of time making the paint look good on a car that they know will never be washed or waxed, and most likely will be moving shopping carts out of parking spaces. LOL
If you can find someone there whos willing to do a GOOD job for you, and make sure he knows that your not gonna be happy with any BS paint job, you could probably get a good paint job. Dunno what kind of paint they use there, but you MIGHT be able to get them to use a paint that you choose.

and oh yeah, just make sure that the car is preppd really good....a $15k paint job would look worse on a poorly prepared car than a $150 paint job on a perfectly prepared car.
Old 04-18-2004, 12:25 PM
Out of the Loop Moderator

Last wiki edit: Streetbeasts links
Last journal entry: at car show
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 5

Depends how important the paint on your car is...................To some people, including me, paint is not the 1st priority. If its not, go with the MAACO

But remember, If you put a crappy job on it and plan on a better one, you are going to have totally strip off that cheap enamal, especially if you are going to have a stronger based paint system, that will eat into that enamal.

Better to let it look bad until you are prepared for that "killer" paint job.
Old 04-19-2004, 06:03 AM
... & Insanity Ensues .....

Last wiki edit: The FREE T Bucket plans Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 22

if u can do great prep work, ud be better off taking the car to a proper collision shop and have it EPOXY PRIMERED, have the primmer tinted black and drive it like THAT till its ready for paint ..... will cost just as much as maco, but this way its basicly ready for paint, instead of being a hack paintjob that was done by the shop simply for PROFIT motives

maco has a HORRIBLE reputation and they know it, therefore, they ddont have to worry if they do a crahp job ..... not like its gonna ruin them ! in their eyes, if the paint peels off 4 months later, the customer still got what the payed for !

but take it to a respected shop the has to keep their positive reputation, and have them write an estimate for primering the entire vehical. i would recommend finding a shop thats willing to work w/ u some ... find a shop that has a friendly manager thats willing to show u what might need work before its coated w/ primer. personaly, id find a shop like that, then bring the car in during their lunch break w/ 2 large pizzas in the front seat...... hand the body guys markers, ask them to inspect everything and mark problem areas.... pay them w/ the food ...

take the car home and fix everything they marked, then return to the shop and have it primered ... anything u can mask off urself .... do it ..... anything u can remove ... do it ....

pizza is cheap payment for work ..... pizza hut runs $11 larg pizza coupons all the time. 2 pizzas for inspection payment and 2 as their lunch teh day u bring the car back will buy u a great job on their end

heII ... my dad has paid town workers in the past using burger king and food fresh off the grill ......scrap removal, lawn rollings, new driveway blacktop, $200 worth of clean fill, rocky fill removal ... all for maybe $50 worth of food
Old 04-19-2004, 01:01 PM

The idea of having it primered by an actual shop has crosssed my mind a few times. For sure now im going to check out some places about primering, (my friends fathers shop is all about painting classic cars i hope i can get a deal there). Thanks for the response.
Old 04-19-2004, 06:18 PM

little quick question, if i were to bring it to a pro shop and get it primered there would it come out looking ok. I have seen when people do it by themselves and looks like crap (take for instance myself).
Old 04-19-2004, 06:57 PM

Last photo:

Great idea on friends father looking over the car.
The point everyone is trying to make in all the posts is you have a classic and that black primer is hiding something and the more you bury it with coats of other stuff the more work it will be to you if you strip it down the road or the more cost it will be to you to have someone else do it.
your friend may have mill Gage and can give you your cars life story witch may help in your decision.
Also you may want to wipe a spot of that black primer with lacquer thinner to see if its lacquer before you do anything,
because its black there is a good chance it came out of spray can>
Old 04-19-2004, 08:00 PM

it isnt actually black but that dark grey color i just said black for no real reason
Old 04-19-2004, 10:32 PM
... & Insanity Ensues .....

Last wiki edit: The FREE T Bucket plans Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 22

dude ... if your buddies dad owns a shop ..... pizza and beer money will probably rule as the #1 way to pay for primer work,

pizza / beer is the #1 form of payment between guys. $20 worth of p/b can sometimes go WAY farther then $40 in cold cash ...

go talk to the guy ... if he sees ya love cars, and hes a cool kinda guy, he'll prolly cut u a way better deal then any other shop would, if hes SUPER cool, i wouldnt be surprised if he just wants materials cost + food

and as for how it will look, the ppg primer we used at the shop, we pounded it on like we were painting a farm tractor, and everything would flow together and ther wouldnt be a single "zebra stripe" on the car .... just looked like flat grey paint till u got up close ... battle ship grey

ive never seen a car guy say a primer job looked "bad" on a car .. its always just ...well .... "primer"
Old 04-19-2004, 11:29 PM

me and my friend are pretty good friends but have heard different things about his pops, he does fantastic work but is a jerk. so cross your fingers and hope this goes good.

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.