Should I put it back to original or not????? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-30-2006, 08:23 PM
I need a bucket of arc sparks

Last wiki edit: How to identify SB Ford heads without pulling them
Last journal entry: trunk floor
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

Should I put it back to original or not?????

This last January I bought my girlfriend a 1970 Ford Mustang that I plan on fixing up for her. The Mustang is a M code car, but it is missing the original motor. To all of you out there who don't know, a M code Mustang in 1970 is a 4 barrel 351 Cleveland powered car. The other big thing with this car is that it is a coupe, not a fastback. This car had alot of the options except for power disc brakes. It had power steering, AC, factory tach, but that too is missing, tilt column, etc... The big question, should I find another 351 Cleveland 4 barrel engine for it and restore it back to original or should I put a different engine in it. I currently have a extra Ford 460 and a 302 looking for a home. Both these engines will need rebuilt, so should I go original and hunt down a 351 Cleveland. The other option is, should I go for overkill and stroke the 460 to 500+ cubes and stuff it in there or should I go for a warmed over 302?????

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-31-2006, 08:58 AM

Last wiki edit: Mopar tapered axle rear brake conversion
Last journal entry: What I'm doing now...
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 49

If it was mine I think I would do a "resto-mod" with it. Modern disk brakes, upgraded suspension, hopped up 351/4 speed, A/C, killer stereo, etc.

Going with the big block will make it handle like crap as all the big block Mustangs did. They were good for straight line performance but were too nose heavy to handle well. The 351 is an excellent compromise.
Old 07-31-2006, 09:03 AM
floppers forever

Wiki Edits: 0

ask your girlfriend since she will be the driver of what you build.
remimber if she ain't happy you won't be either.
my opinion would be the put it stock if the car is in good shape,but if the car has been butchered keep cutting and go will the 460.
Old 07-31-2006, 09:16 AM
I need a bucket of arc sparks

Last wiki edit: How to identify SB Ford heads without pulling them
Last journal entry: trunk floor
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

nitro_baller4692 that is a good point, I should ask her what she wants for a motor. It is her car, she probably wouldn't like a nose heavy Mustang with a big old fuel eating stroked 460. I'll ask her and see what she wants, if she want a 200 inline six stuffed in it that is what I will put in her car. This is the first coupe I have ever seen with a 4 barrel 351 Cleveland engine option, so I didn't know what I should do, I will ask her, thanks everybody.
Old 07-31-2006, 09:28 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Make a fiberglass fan shroud
Last journal entry: Next.. ..Bagging the king B (barge)
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 161

I'm building a motor for my wifes car right now. It is a 70 mustang convertable with the original 4V cleveland and 4 speed. Another somewhat rare factory build. Most of the ragtops came with 302/autos
If you try to build it back to stock, use the later block and open chamber 4V heads or aussie heads. The later blocks are less prone to be cracked, and have a little more meat for decking and boring. (at least thats what my machinist told me after chucking 3 unserviceable blocks)

The 70 heads are great if you can build the motor to take advantage of their potential, They do much better when allowed to rev. They are not torque monsters at all at low rpms.

I am building ours back to mostly stock for the sake of originality, and it will be a compromise at best.

If I did not care about that, I would use a windsor. Those perform well, don't have the cooling, oiling and low end issues that a cleveland does, and they are lighter also.

A 302 is a good motor if you want reliability and you can make them run well for cheap. my sisters 70 notchback got 22 mpg and was a real nice driver. I have never heard of anyone getting better than 12 mpg with a cleveland.

I won't say that a cleveland won't be a great motor, it is just hard to build one to run right in todays world with the crappy gas. I'm trying to pick a cam for ours right now, here is a thread about that:help with a cam choice

Here is what a 4V head looks like from the intake side. The ports and valves are way bigger than they need to be. They are 240 CC. How fast do you think that motor needs to spin before that port starts working?

You could park a car in that port.

IMO if I were starting off with nothing, and was not so concerned with originality, I would build something other than a cleveland. The big block is not a really good choice either as centerline already mentioned.

Hope this helps, mikey

BE different....ACT normal.

No one is completely useless..They can always be used as a bad example

Last edited by powerrodsmike; 07-31-2006 at 09:40 AM. Reason: get rid of a poor comparison.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.