Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board

Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/)
-   Suspension - Brakes - Steering (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/suspension-brakes-steering/)
-   -   Should I put in new wheel bearings? (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/should-i-put-new-wheel-bearings-229033.html)

roger1 01-31-2013 04:47 PM

Should I put in new wheel bearings?

I'm doing a brake job on my '83 El Camino. It has 80K miles on it and the front wheel bearings are original. The outer bearings have nylon roller retainers.
Should I replace them for good measure even though they look OK?
If so, should I get Timken? My Autozone has them in stock. My local Napa has bearings for a better price but they're branded Napa and I don't know who makes them for them.

Also, on the rear, brakes are drum brakes. The thicker padded shoe goes to the rear right?
Been a long time since I've done a brake job.

poncho62 01-31-2013 05:18 PM

Yes...the longer pad goes to the rear.

If the bearings look good, not pitted, I would reuse them. Check the races too

Valkyrie5.7 01-31-2013 06:51 PM

Yeah I'd just check them and reuse them if cost/time is a concern. My truck is around 250,000 miles and it's been on it's third set of bearings for about 10,000 of them. If you want peace of mind, though, there's nothing wrong with replacing them.

I was reading the rock auto news letter yesterday and there was a customer story about a guy who bought a ford truck cheap because the back brakes locked up unusually under normal conditions. He replaced the shoes and didn't know they were on backwards so he put them on backwards AGAIN copying the old brake job. When they locked up after the brake job he just adjusted them out so that they wouldn't do it any longer. Took 3 years later at a vehicle inspection for someone to notice it. Long story, but yeah, thicker pads to the back.

roger1 02-01-2013 11:57 AM

Ok,

I'll get them cleaned up today and inspect them closely.

I thought maybe there might be a concern about 30 year old bearings with nylon cages but maybe not.

Thanks.

prostreet6t9 02-01-2013 02:24 PM

If you can afford it I'd replace them. If the Brg fail's it's gonna take out the axle also.

Brg..5707
Seal 8660S

roger1 02-01-2013 02:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by prostreet6t9 (Post 1641378)
If you can afford it I'd replace them. If the Brg fail's it's gonna take out the axle also.
Brg..5707Seal 8660S

Money is not an issue at all.
If it's better to replace them I will.

Just trying to be practical and not waste.

Looks like I'm getting opinions both ways. Same thing my brain was doing and the reason I asked.

It's the front I'm referring too.

I'm wasn't planning on doing anything with the rear bearings until I get a seal leaking or noise. I've never seen a rear wheel bearing failure that didn't give a noise warning first.

prostreet6t9 02-01-2013 02:36 PM

I just noticed if was the front Brgs you were talking about so ignore my brg numbers I gave you :D

I would still replace them if it's original stuff. Better to be safe than sorry.

prostreet6t9 02-01-2013 02:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by roger1 (Post 1641385)
Money is not an issue at all.
If it's better to replace them I will.

Just trying to be practical and not waste.

Looks like I'm getting opinions both ways. Same thing my brain was doing and the reason I asked.

It's the front I'm referring too.

I'm wasn't planning on doing anything with the rear bearings until I get a seal leaking or noise. I've never seen a rear wheel bearing failure that didn't give a noise warning first.

Another way to look at it.. Sometimes if the rear Brg starts making noise the axle could be toast. Better to catch it before any noise of leaks show up.

Valkyrie5.7 02-01-2013 03:12 PM

If I was at all concerned, I would just replace them. Better to know their good then to worry about them on the road. I've used the Autozone Timken bearings in quite few applications, it's usually what I go with.

roger1 02-01-2013 03:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Valkyrie5.7 (Post 1641407)
If I was at all concerned, I would just replace them.

I think I've lost my concern. After cleaning them, they look new. No lines or colors at all. I also started thinking that this is a decision that can be made next time it needs brakes. Everything comes apart and has to be cleaned anyway. I wouldn't ever put new pads on the front without turning the rotors.

roger1 02-01-2013 04:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by prostreet6t9 (Post 1641391)
Another way to look at it.. Sometimes if the rear Brg starts making noise the axle could be toast. Better to catch it before any noise of leaks show up.

My past experience with axle bearings is that they go way longer than 80K miles. The seals are 30 years old though and that might be what goes first. But, the axles don't get ruined if that happens. The oil in this axle has been changed too. I had new gears and a posi put in about 25K miles ago.
Again, maybe I'll give this more thought at the next brake job.

I don't put many miles on this car, but I do want it safe and reliable.

Btw, this is an original Choo Choo SS car and is fairly rare for a 1983 model. I put an LT1/4L60E in it back in 1998. The engine and transmission came out of a '96 Impala SS that was taken out of the car when it only had 100 miles on it. I've only put 25K miles on it since then. I did the rear gear change at the same time.

I thought you guys might like to see the car we're talking about. Pics always make a thread more interesting.

http://www.hotrodders.com/gallery/da.../17782Elky.jpg

http://www.hotrodders.com/gallery/da...3Interiror.jpg

http://www.hotrodders.com/gallery/da...82ECengine.jpg

Valkyrie5.7 02-01-2013 08:13 PM

Very nice :thumbup:

bigdog7373 02-26-2013 10:19 PM

Oh. My. God. Roger1 that is an amazing car(or truck) :D The white interior is awesome

roger1 02-27-2013 08:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigdog7373 (Post 1650994)
Oh. My. God. Roger1 that is an amazing car(or truck) :D The white interior is awesome

Thanks!
It's actually a light tan. I think they call it Sandalwood.

boothboy 02-27-2013 08:25 PM

If your bearings show no wear or discoloration then go ahead and reuse them. The important thing is that you get enough grease between the rollers when you repack them. You've got disc brakes on the front so make sure you use the proper type grease. You might want to replace the seal before you put it back together. It's just cheap insurance. Adjust the bearing nut to the right spec after tightening it tight to seat the bearings and back it off. Then re-tighten to the proper spec. The reason your bearings look so good after 80K is because someone has been doing a good service job all along.

BB :thumbup: