Should I Re-Up for Community College Courses? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Hotrodding Basics
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-01-2010, 08:41 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Should I Re-Up for Community College Courses?

Recently I've been taking Auto Collision Technology Classes at my local Community College. I was thinking of getting my Certification through the college but..... now I don't know if it's worth it. I'll explain.

The teacher isn't mean or anything. I've found though that he just doesn't understand how to deal with College students well. He mainly teaches High School kids. He's easy and very relaxed, which is nice, but not in lots of situations. I'll turn in my homework and say "Can I get this back? So I know what I don't understand." He never gives it back to me! I've tried to explain that "This is something I want to learn, and I need to learn! Especially if I'm doing this for a living." He just doesn't seem to get it.

The last session he missed 4 classes, and let us go at the start of one class. I'd understand if he doesn't feel well once in awhile and needs to miss some classes, but this is a constant problem. A lot of times he doesn't feel well or has leg pains. He was a painter that never wore his mask in the booth! He's got a lot of medical problems, which cause him to not be able to teach well or miss class.

The classes are expensive at around $600. Also this semester the college will be charging a lot for materials. I recently found a Dealership Body Shop that will hire me. They just want me to do a Drug Test, and are running a backround check. I'm inclined to just take the job, and learn from that. Rather then wasting money on classes that I don't feel are worth the money or time. Unfortunately this is the only program close to me. I guess it's good to have the degree.

What do people think I should do? Sign-up for the classes, even though the teacher isn't good. Learn on the job with the dealership? Any other suggestions or advice?

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-02-2010, 12:00 PM

Last photo:

Does your community college have a counselor?

What have they said when you talked to them and expressed your concerns?
Old 02-02-2010, 01:03 PM

Last photo:

I've emailed the Director of the program about the teacher. He said "I've heard your concerns and will address the issues." Of course it doesn't seem he ever did.

The problem is that the college is trying to start this Auto Collision Technology program. So inevitably there will be problems. Technically I don't think they even have accreditation.

You can go talk to counselors at the college, but they aren't usually helpful. They are mainly there just to tell you what classes you need to take.
Old 02-02-2010, 02:07 PM

Last journal entry: 351W rebuild
Last photo:

Hi,
I think it would be advantagous to take the job, they may send you to school if you show promise after the hire, that's what a dealer did for me (gm factory trained for engines,transmissions, differentials, & air condsh) but if not, then when the school gets it's act together I'd sign up again.
Very Best of Luck,
Rich
Old 02-02-2010, 02:34 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by richard stewart 3rd
Then when the school gets it's act together I'd sign up again.
I don't know how likely that will be. The school doesn't have it's own facilities, and it's renting out a high school's shop. They don't plan on building new facilities or putting money into the program, which is a problem since the high school is shutting down it's Auto Collision Program. It's all kind of a weird situation.

Hopefully the dealership will pay for I-CAR or other training. They seem very open to having their techs learn as much as they can.
Old 02-02-2010, 04:27 PM
Engine machinist/builder/cnc

Sounds like a typical, but poorly addressed, new curriculum. In a situation like that, I think I'd take the on the job training that would come with the job.
Old 02-03-2010, 01:32 PM

Last photo:

The dealership hasn't called me in a week. I'm wondering if something happened. They could not have money for new hires!
Old 02-03-2010, 01:52 PM

Last photo:

schooling

call the dealership to they know for sure your interested in the job... and report your teacher again...
Old 02-03-2010, 03:01 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by delawarebill
call the dealership to they know for sure your interested in the job... and report your teacher again...
I did call. Apparently the HR person has been out for a few days. Their still waiting on the backround check.

I could contact the Director again, but I think he knows the situation. I know another student was upset as well. I don't know if there is much the college will do.
Old 02-03-2010, 06:26 PM

Last wiki edit: General Motors transmissions Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 27

junk colleges

I've taught at a couple of Jr colleges. It takes a while for them to go thru all the hoops in the union contract to get rid of poor teachers. The last place I taught part time nights was the pits, had very little support. in order to get copies made I had to show up 2 hours early . I was in a wheel chair because of an accident and had a hard time because of poor handicap access. The college used a lot of part time teachers so they didn't have to pay benifits and a couple of us didn't teach the next semester. Students needed the classes to graduate but we didn't want to put up with the college admin BS.. students were picketing on TV. pleading their case. having to wait one extra year to graduate.
Old 02-04-2010, 11:00 AM

Last photo:

Timothale I understand that teachers really don't get paid much. The situation that is worked out with him and the College might be bad.

However, I don't feel that's an excuse! When you have people paying for Classes, a teacher should respect that. This guy also teaches high school kids, and sometimes he's stuck in that mindset. There's a big difference between a high school student, and a College student that will do this for a living.

One good reason to do the classes is I can get 50% Off on Matco Tools! That would be useful for the job.

Last edited by mgold; 02-04-2010 at 04:08 PM.
Old 03-01-2010, 03:15 PM

Last photo:

Job Update

Unfortunately I don't think the job worked out. I haven't heard anything from the Shop. I guess it's the economy!
Old 03-01-2010, 04:18 PM

Last journal entry: 351W rebuild
Last photo:

Hi,
Sorry to hear it didn't work out for you, but don't let that get you down keep looking, your lack of experience is hurting you so you need to be more prescient, prescience overcomes resistance, after putting in your resume keep going back (not calling) that's exactly how my nephew got hired at Harley Davidson, he was driving an ice cream truck & he stopped there everyday one day they told him they needed some temp workers, he started working there the next day, then they went over the 30 day thing & were hired on permanently.
Good luck,
Rich
Old 03-01-2010, 04:30 PM
VW makes it, Chevy shakes it..

Last photo:

I would finish. It's somewhat of a safety net. Later down the road you and another guy might be looking for a job. Both of you well qualified, but he happens to have the degree. They'll likely hire the guy with the degree. You always continue to learn on the job.

Is it impossible for you to do both?
Old 03-01-2010, 07:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgold
Unfortunately I don't think the job worked out. I haven't heard anything from the Shop. I guess it's the economy!
I agree with Richard and Intense RT that you should take the job if it is available to you. If they are having cutbacks on hours because of the economy, maybe you could contact the shop again and consider offering to work part time.
That way you could still continue with the class and have a little money to help with tution. You get the best of both worlds - classwork that can lead to certification while being able to learn from some of the more experienced bodymen at the shop.
I sympathize with you and the problems with the instructor. The school will tend to protect him because they don't want to admit they made a bad hiring choice and may not be able to find a replacement anyway. Make the best of it and maybe some day you can take his job away from him and do it right since you will have in-depth knowledge in how NOT to do it.
Terry

Recent Hotrodding Basics posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.