Should I spray paint my door panels?????? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Interior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-02-2003, 05:26 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Should I spray paint my door panels??????

I have a '72 Chevy pickup custom 10 deluxe and the inside door panels are black but they are worn and they have bright white showing through. I can take the panels off and I have black spray paint and I was thinking about spraying them. Should I just takes them out , spray them , & let them dry or should I put a clear top coat on them or something. I don't see what would be that bad with the just spraying them but if you know of anything that might help I'd appreciate it.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-02-2003, 10:14 PM

Last photo:

its ok to spray them, but don't use auto paint, use vinal(?) paint. and try not to touch them ever again.

p.s. clean real good with laquer thinner.
Old 09-03-2003, 03:38 PM
Kid With A Wrench...

Last journal entry: The Blower and test fit.
Last photo:

Isn't the panel metal? I can't really remember right now, but I believe that my bro's 69 panels are metal. If so, don't use the vinyl paint. Take a pic and post it. I can't think of where the white could be wearing through. I'd like to see what you are talking about. Either way, spraying it should be fine, as long as you can handle the look...
Old 09-03-2003, 07:18 PM

they might not be called door panels

I might have misnamed what I'm going to paint but I'll try to describe it to you. It is on the inside of the truck and it is where the handle is and the armrest is attached to it. Most of the inside of the door is metal but the part that I'm talking about is plastic. I will have pics in about a week.

-J
Old 09-06-2003, 12:37 AM

Last photo:

you could paint it, but make sure you clean it with a good paint cleaner first (one that will not leave a residue)
-Holley 600 cfm 4-barrel
-Flowmaster Afterburner headers
-Turbo 350 Transmission
Old 09-06-2003, 04:31 AM
Just one of the guys

Last journal entry: Garage Toys
Last photo:

Check some of the Krylon paint. They make one for plastic now. You might do a search on here for Krylon because I believe there was a thread about it. Watch using laquer thinner to clean plastic. It can melt it if left on too long. Use enamel thinner instead. I'll look later but I believe I have something saved in the old 'puter about painting door panels and if so I'll post it.

Kevin
Old 09-08-2003, 03:38 PM
NEVER use credit cards!

Last journal entry: car with tt2's, (stockers going back on)
Last photo:

three letters: S>E>M>
Old 07-13-2004, 09:32 PM

Painting vinyl door panels

If your door panels are vinyl you can repaint them with vinyl paint.....Kyrlon Fusion will work if you are lucky to find your color....Black is simple and easy......The secret is to clean them first with enamel reducer.....then prep them with plastic prep to soften them up ...Then you can spray them Best to put a few thin coats then try to recover with one heavy coat and get runs and forget it.......I don't want to get into the new waterbase plastic paint with the crosslinker adhesion promoter... Man that stuff gets onto your fingers and forget about it......your skin will have to wear off before that paint will.......get ready guys.....soon thats all there will be......its going alll water base... Look at it this way .....A lot of that paint that was water base was used in the tombs in Egypt....and some of it still looks like it was just painted.......Check out my web site for upholstery tips.....***

Last edited by Jon; 07-16-2004 at 11:06 AM.
Old 07-29-2004, 12:07 AM

Clarifying the Last Message

I just wanted to clear up a lot of stuff that may be confusing if you dont know what everyone is talking about. You saw a lot of talk about "vinyl paint" on the replies. I used Duralast(i think that's the name of the brand, correct me if I'm wrong) vinyl paint on my trim pieces and my rear seat belts in my 86 Z28 and it looks great. Wears great, I've had no problems with it. If you want to be safe about the pre-spray prep., use a product made by PPG that I've always heard referred to as DX330, I don't know it by another name. This is a wonderful degreser that is safe on several more materials than laquer thinner is and it works great as a degreaser and paint remover. Always be sure to use it outside or in a very well ventilated area because the smell does get to you after a while. Take your time when doing this so that you get nice even coats. Don't rush through and try covering it all at once. It's really not worth it to have a bad job done just to save a few minutes right now. Make severeal even, light coats to cover your object. I'm not sure if I read this right, but if I'm not mistaken, someone suggested to do one final heavy coat, which no offense to them, but that is a horrible idea. The runs will show and you'll play hell trying to remove them. It will be easier to sand the whole pice down and start from scratch. Just take your time and it should come out alright. Thanks for your time. -Josh
Old 07-31-2004, 09:14 AM
Just one of the guys

Last journal entry: Garage Toys
Last photo:

I was talking to the guy that is painting my truck as I also have to have some interior trim (plastic) painted. He stateds that you can use automotive paint as long as you use an "adhesion promoter" beforehand. This will "open the pores" of the plastic and let the paint "bite". I always thought that you had to use a "flex additive" into the paint but he stated that was with the older types of paint. I'm pretty sure (fingers crossed) that he knows what he's talking about as I have seen quite a bit of his work.

Kevin
Old 08-07-2004, 12:32 PM

an adhesion promoter will do the trick on the plastic pieces.......alot of people from my cirle have been sanding all the bumps and ridges off the hard plastic pieces and then doing a primer/paint/clear and getting a show qaulity finish......
Old 10-31-2004, 03:31 PM
Gone fishin'

Last wiki edit: Removing stuck fasteners
Last journal entry: blah.......again
Wiki Edits: 2

I have a 86' Chevy Truck and i spray painted my door panels with dupli color vinyl paint. It turned out pretty nice it just that it gets scratched easy Because mine were Brown and i painted them blue and after rolling the windows down a couple of times i now have a ugly brown ring around the window cranks.

Recent Interior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.