Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Should I swap in bucket seats in my 54 Chevy?
View Single Post
Old 03-03-2011, 07:47 PM

Last journal entry: Por 15
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Should I swap in bucket seats in my 54 Chevy?

Guys,

Cliff notes in CAP LOCKS at the bottom for lazy people that don't want to read my rant...

Not that I am ready to do it yet, but I was talking with a shop today and the guy was encouraging me to install bucket seats.

My 1954 Chevy 210 has the factory bench seat in the front.

I am lowering the car with airbags front and rear. I am starting to investigate a 4 link rear suspension. The rear suspension mounting points require some hacking up of the rear floor pan under the rear seat and definitely the driveshaft tunnel.

Supposively the rear seat can be modified to fit with the mounting points of the 4 link, but I am doubtful...
The front bench seat would need to be slightly modified to allow for the driveshaft tunnel to fit (this was only told to me, I haven't seen this first hand yet).

So with all this cutting and modifying I was told that I could install some bucket seats in the front which would allow for the driveshaft tunnel modification and look "cool". One thing I really liked about this is, I could cut the floor to allow for the 2" raise that is stamped into the factory sheetmetal. Then mount the bucket seats to the floor, gaining me 2" of head room from the floor + additional inches depending on the seat (stock 54 seats are thick and very high off the floor).

MY QUESTION IS: What do you think about this path I am considering? too much hacking?

What bucket seats look best and can easily/cheaply be found? I will re-cover them to match the rest of my interior colors (yellow and white)?

Thanks for the advice in advance.