should i use the old stock one?? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Interior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-08-2004, 12:20 PM
here to learn

Last journal entry: finishing up the skirts
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

should i use the old stock one??

Here the thing. it's not in too bad of shape but the whole car is custom so if i put a stock dash it would go against the theme. i would obviously fix it up and try to customize it some how but is it worth it? i know a lot of people have done a whole new dash with fiberglass, but how hard is that going to be. The dash is from a stock 53 bel air that i bought for parts(which i come to find out that i don't need) but the car is complete, i was thinking of just reselling it, but if i use the dash, i cant get nearly as much.
i hope i didn't confuse anyone

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-08-2004, 01:16 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: How to rebuild a Rochester Quadrajet 4MV carbureto...
Last journal entry: How to change auto shift timing on 200R4
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 21

Keep the old dash and weld on the mods. An all-steel dash is a great base to start with and with all the compound curves, you can cut and weld to your little heart's desire and not cause any appreciable heat damage. A new fiberglass dash is WAY more work than it is worth. Worth a few judiciously chosen tubes and cones, and nips and tucks you can have the ultimate custom dash with minimal effort.

Here is a steel dash that I modified for a '37 Willys pickup. Welded on some cones and a lower panel with the small gauge cones and radio and came up with a great look and only spent about a day and a half on it. Be creative but keep the steel!
Old 07-08-2004, 03:14 PM

Last photo:

You could use your stock dash with one of the billet frame digital gage inserts with a late model or custom steering column. Love your front end. From the name I'm guessing it's metal. I had a 53 way back and made a similar nose with a conduit tube, chicken wire and then fiberglass. Man what a disaster, I did get it done but was a chore, made a set of flimsy nerf bars. A few months after it was finished I rear ended a wagon at about 10 mph the nerfs collapsed and the front end exploded.
Old 07-09-2004, 09:30 PM
Stitching or grease I love it

Last journal entry: Wings and Wheels fly in
Last photo:

COVER THAT WHEEL!!!!! Dont put one of those little bastards on that classic dash.

Rebuild that plastic with plastic filler and send it to a good trim shop, hell send it to me if you cant find one. I can wrap it for less than one of the cost of a little baby wheel. It can be padded up a little or be a classic small grip and put a contrasting baseball stitch on it and they look like a MILLION. And are very unique

I will send you a picture of the 50 wheel I am wrapping right now when its done. I will be submitting a thread that will show you guys how when I get it done
Old 07-10-2004, 09:59 PM

Last journal entry: JB's 37 Pickup
Last photo:

That is a pristine dash and I would use as is. Easy to wire in a voltage step down, and use the 64 sending unit for all those instruments. The speedo can be made to work properly. As far as I'm concerned, nothing beats a big diameter steering wheel and yours could be first class!!! You will never see a late model flip and flop column in any car I build unless I just can't find the original. Resto rods is a theme and you seldom saw radical custom dashes back when.

Trees
Old 07-19-2004, 10:14 AM
here to learn

Last photo:

im having problems finding a nice digital gage insert for that dash, but i know i've seen one around. if any one knows were i could get one, drop me a line. as far as the steering wheel goes, i don't think it would fit with the theme of the car.
Old 07-19-2004, 02:45 PM

Last photo:

does that mean your keeping the wheel?. Digitals are nice and all but I saw a really nice multi gauge at Classic. Tack, speedo pressure and Alternator I think in one really fine looking analog with a digital speedo pick up. Take a look if your heart is not set on a digital.
Old 07-19-2004, 02:58 PM

Last photo:

Check out RB's Obsolete Automotive Inc. Iv'e downloaded a pic of there dash insert for your year chevy. It accepts regular or digital gages. You could use a set of the classic style gages for an original look or go digital for a newer look.
Old 07-19-2004, 04:09 PM
here to learn

Last photo:

im NOT keeping the wheel and im not sure weather i want digital or analog? whatever looks better and cost less im still looking oround
Old 07-20-2004, 12:27 AM

Last photo:

Hey 53 I am in brighton. If you need some interior help let me know. I am in the area. Graduated from South Lyon
Old 07-20-2004, 07:42 AM
here to learn

Last photo:

hey i graduated from the same school. thanx for the help but im not there yet. i just wanted to know weather i should use the dash on the stock Bell air or just sell the whole car. when i get to the interior ill send you a PM, thanx for the help.

PS Dakota Digital does have a nice instrument gauge for the 53
$600

Recent Interior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.