Should you wear safety goggles? Hmmmmm, here's and example. - Page 3 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Hotrodding Basics
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-11-2012, 10:30 AM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanked 1,276 Times in 1,117 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by shine
brian, we finally found something we agree on 100%
safety is and has always been job one . we cant work if we cant see . i keep safety glasses everywhere. i have several pairs of knee pads . i wear gloves when i work . i also get a full work up every year including a chest x-ray and blood work. ours is a dangerous trade . putting on a pair of safety glasses beats a week with an eye patch anytime .
Shine, we agree on a LOT more than you think! We are actually way more alike than different.

Brian

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-11-2012, 11:09 AM

Last wiki edit: Ford engine specifications Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 8

I am having a hard time understanding why some folks rebel against something as simple as safety. Alright - don't wear the safety gear, that's your choice - just don't try to justify that choice to the rest of us here. Most, not all of us try to work safely and want to continue working. I'll trade you a couple of 'dead spots' on my right eye from steel chips - and those - they were 'obtained' with safety glasses and goggles - but unfortunately NOT the chemical closed vent version of goggles. A few days of wearing an eye patch on my dominant eye, no fun. Couldn't work, drive, watch TV, read - just sit and vegetate.

And this thread is 45 or so posts worth, some of these posts - totally useless, irresponsible and ridiculous!!!

Here is some choice safety reading, and especially about eye protection:

Burned Eyes

Your eyes

http://www.crankshaftcoalition.com/w...Shop_or_Garage
Old 03-11-2012, 01:55 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Health and safety in the shop or garage
Last journal entry: 36 Ford painting
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

Another thread gone to crap from trollish behavior. I will clean this up and if there are no objections, send it to the tools/shop forum (Monday) where most of the safety related posts are placed. Argument for the sake of an argument is easy, it happens every day on the playground at every grade school in America. I do have better things to do and I am getting weary of being a school grounds monitor. 100,000 + members on this site and there is always a few troublemakers, guess that's why I make the big bucks....$00.000.

On second thought, this is a good thread for the Basics. I have cleaned the thread up, sent the garbage to the dump. Troll comments and responses to the troll comments were edited, hopefully no one will be offended by me removing the responses.

Last edited by dinger; 03-11-2012 at 02:16 PM. Reason: adding info
Old 03-11-2012, 02:42 PM

Last journal entry: Bad Rats anglia Build Journal plus bike and other photos
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by crussell85
If you have slowly lost hearing over 20 years I doubt you would notice it. JMO
Oh Yeah!!! you sure as hell" DO NOTICE IT" simply because people quit trying to talk to you, cause it's a PITA to try making a person with hearing loss understand what you ar talking about, lots of HUH's What did you say? could you repeat that please?" people get tired of yelling at the top of their vocal capabilities just to carry on a conversation with a deaf person, so eventually you are just a person in the crowd,, that is hard to carry on a conversation with,,,
My grand son is 9y/o he automatically speaks in a LOUD voice when he trys talking to me, and more and more lately, he doesn't even try anymore, that breaks my heart,,
I have a set of the latest teck hearing aids on the way,, 8500.$ sure hope they work,,, my wife will be easier to get along with too I hope
Old 03-11-2012, 05:35 PM
Out of the Loop Moderator

Last wiki edit: Streetbeasts links
Last journal entry: at car show
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 5

I have really never hurt my eyes, but have come close enough to realize that I shouldnt have done that.......

My biggest mistake of my working life was not protecting my hearing. I worked for years in factory settings with machine noise etc....Now, I have a lot of hearing loss, so much so that I have to wear hearing aids.......Something also to think about.
Old 03-11-2012, 05:44 PM

Last wiki edit: Ford axle ratio codes
Last journal entry: Rear Suspension
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 31

I'm bad. I usually don't wear them. don't even think about it till I get somthing in my eyes, and have to spend 10 mins getting it out, then go find 1 of the many pairs of goggles I have.
Old 03-12-2012, 10:53 AM

Last photo:

Personal Protective Equipment

Read this and notice that many jobs require two forms of eye protection, a good example is grinding when you need to wear goggles and a face shield.

http://www.osha.gov/dte/library/ppe_...l#eye_and_face

In the PetroChemical industry the rules are pretty simple; You are required to take training on the PPE required for the job, if you get caught not wearing the proper PPE for the job, you are fired.

OSHA rules are written in blood.
Old 03-12-2012, 09:12 PM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:

Thanked 1,276 Times in 1,117 Posts
Yeow, that's a wake up call.

Brian
Old 03-12-2012, 09:36 PM

Last journal entry: The death of Blue
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 17

I'm an Army medic, seen too many "tough" guys with no eye pro that are now blind. They weren't working on cars, but shrapnel probably moves around as fast as metal kicked off from a 20 amp grinder. Just saying, it's pretty important. Ask these guys. Ask me. Protection(armor) kept my chest from being Swiss cheese from a rocket that landed too close for comfort. just saying....
Zak

Old 03-12-2012, 09:44 PM

Last photo:

ouch

Thats a perfect example of the protection a face shield provides. If you had a face shield like the riot cops, you may not have had a scratch. Appreciate your service Man. olNolan
Old 03-19-2012, 01:30 PM

I can't "compete" with the more graphic photos

This is what happened to my dead blow hammer a few minutes ago. That big chip - made a mark on my right glasses lens (luckily it came off). I can only imagine how I would be enjoying my stay in the local E-room about now instead of typing this:

That hammer is a USA made Compocast that has just been cut in half and trashed - R.I.P.. It will be replaced the next trip to a decent tool supplier.

Dave W
Old 03-19-2012, 01:49 PM

Last photo:

JM;

Thank you. Not only for your service to this country, but also for helping our wounded soldiers. We can never say 'thank you' enough
Old 03-19-2012, 03:57 PM

Last journal entry: The death of Blue
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoGear
JM;

Thank you. Not only for your service to this country, but also for helping our wounded soldiers. We can never say 'thank you' enough
That's why I love my job. Been an Army medic for 10 years and never looked back!
On another note, Jeez Ireland, WTF were you doing to that dead blow? I have beat some hammers in my day, but that's crazy! Looks like you were beating on a running sawmill!
Zak
Old 03-19-2012, 04:14 PM

Last journal entry: Latest changes
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMSTOY
I'm an Army medic, seen too many "tough" guys with no eye pro that are now blind. They weren't working on cars, but shrapnel probably moves around as fast as metal kicked off from a 20 amp grinder. Just saying, it's pretty important. Ask these guys. Ask me. Protection(armor) kept my chest from being Swiss cheese from a rocket that landed too close for comfort. just saying....
Zak

Wow! Definitely good you had the glasses on! Your face will heal, but imagine what it would have done to your eyes!
Thanks for posting, and thanks even more for what you do for a living! We really appreciate all you guys!
Old 03-19-2012, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMSTOY
I have beat some hammers in my day, but that's crazy! Looks like you were beating on a running sawmill!
Zak
Nothing spectacular - a disc brake rotor on my truck and right on the pad flat. My guess - that hammer was old and it had served me well - and it was just time

Dave W

Recent Hotrodding Basics posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.