Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board

Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/)
-   Hotrodding Basics (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/hotrodding-basics/)
-   -   Should you wear safety goggles? Hmmmmm, here's and example. (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/should-you-wear-safety-goggles-hmmmmm-heres-example-216244.html)

MARTINSR 03-07-2012 04:45 PM

Should you wear safety goggles? Hmmmmm, here's and example.

We have a company that comes by to oversee our process, they are called "Verifax" and have done a lot of good stuff to keep us on the straight and narrow. One of the things they do is safety meetings and that sort of thing. They recently put a big push on wearing safety goggles, EVERYONE wearing safety goggles. A lot of the guys have reluctently started wearing them, even when the Verifacts inspection guy is here. :rolleyes: Today they REALLY paid off for one of the painters. He did the old trick of putting his finger over the nozzle and pulling the trigger to make the air go back up the gun into the cup and blow out any debris in the passage. He was jambing a hood and probably using an old gun or something. Anyway, we use those plastic mixing ratio cups that go right on the top of the gun after you put the paint in. They have a little cap at the top that you have to open once it's on the gun so the cup has air to allow the paint to go out thru the gun. He had it closed, so when he put his finger over the nozzle the cup BLEW APART! It blew clear all over him, the hood, and everything around him.

Thank goodness he had his glasses on, check them out, how do you think it would feel with clear in your eyes?

And don't say "but he was doing something stupid", we all do every day, we make little mistakes and avoid hurting our self. But sometimes we get hurt bad, it happens all the time.

Wear your safety equipment!

Brian

http://i200.photobucket.com/albums/a...s/100_2608.jpg

topwrench 03-07-2012 05:44 PM

Hey Brian
Last week I was beating some carbon out of diffuser housing on a turbo and a pice of carbon went in my eye,the Doc dug it out and I had to wear a patch over my eye until i went to bed that nite.
Next day I bought safety glasses
Its a good idea but no one usually thinks of it till its too late!
I sure dont
But u can bet Ill wear them from now on!

crussell85 03-07-2012 06:14 PM

There are to many choices out there for safety glasses for anyone to have an excuse for not wearing them (their uncomfortable, they fog up when I breathe, they hurt my nose/ears).

Just throwing out a good choice. At work we wear the Jackson Safety "Nemesis" glasses. We all really love them. They are very comfortable. Their not very scratch resistant but if their on your face all day you should have to worry about scratches to bad. And their only about 5 bucks a pair!

Same thing for hearing protection!

matts37chev 03-07-2012 07:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by crussell85
There are to many choices out there for safety glasses for anyone to have an excuse for not wearing them (their uncomfortable, they fog up when I breathe, they hurt my nose/ears).

Just throwing out a good choice. At work we wear the Jackson Safety "Nemesis" glasses. We all really love them. They are very comfortable. Their not very scratch resistant but if their on your face all day you should have to worry about scratches to bad. And their only about 5 bucks a pair!

word for word ^^^^^^^ditto
we have to wear glasses, and we have lots of different brands and styles
i like the nemesis also (because a lot of the others fog)

if you find the ones that fit right, keep them clean and on your face, after a while you dont even know you are wearing them :thumbup:

tech69 03-07-2012 09:19 PM

I wear safety glasses when it's called for but not one of the guys who wears glasses to use a hammer and dolly or sanding on mud. I find that the guys who are overly anal about that stuff are usually slow as molassis and spend more time "preparing" to do a job than actually doing it. just my two cents, but I agree to the importance of glasses.

MARTINSR 03-07-2012 10:18 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by tech69
I wear safety glasses when it's called for but not one of the guys who wears glasses to use a hammer and dolly or sanding on mud. I find that the guys who are overly anal about that stuff are usually slow as molassis and spend more time "preparing" to do a job than actually doing it. just my two cents, but I agree to the importance of glasses.

If you think protecting yourself makes you slow as molasses, you should watch a 50 year old bodyman who hasn't protected himself, now THAT'S slow.

Henry, you know what I say to the young guys who I work with when I see them not protecting themselves, I say "You want to see your grandkids". Mine is below. :D

I have seen what old bodymen look like who didn't protect themselves. I worked with one guy who was about 10 years older than me. He was SHOT at 55, I mean DONE. It took him longer to in and out of a car than I would take to get a bumper off and I am seriously not joking. I was so blessed, so friggin blessed to have worked next to a machine shop where there was a woman who would wear OSHA style ear protection. I started talking to her about this, why did she wear it? She taught me about the importance of this subject. I am as old as that bodyman who could barely get in and out of a car and can do finger tip pushups and regularly hike up a 2500 foot hill near me without so much as a hickup. (Second photo).

If you think for one minute those guys are slow, it's because they ARE slow, it hasn't a damn thing to do with the ten seconds it takes to put protection on, and I am talking LITERALLY 10 seconds, time it, go ahead and time it, we are talking 10 seconds.

Brian

Bad Rat 03-08-2012 12:09 AM

!

Same thing for hearing protection![/QUOTE]
I certainly wish I had used hearing protection , long long ago.. I worked heavy construction for 45 years,,but I didn't want to be bothered with those ear plugs or especally those bulky ear muffs, and safety glasses? I can't count the times I had to go to the emergancy room to have steel slivers dug out of my eyes,, then after that steel started to rust,,go back and have the rust drilled out,, Now that really sucks,,,and now I have to wear tri focals,,where I use to be able to count the hairs on a knats a z z at 50 yards
I now also have very severe hearing loss, to the point of having to have very expensive hearing aids, I'm just lucky that state comp pays for them, for the rest of my life, even tho the hearing loss could have been easly prevented, BY ME
and believe me when I tell you not being able to hear your grand kids, or friends in a conversation, pretty soon you are in a world all your own , a very SILENT WORLD, no one can protect your body but you,,,

DoubleVision 03-08-2012 12:34 AM

For some hearing loss just happens. Take my mother who's never been around any excessively loud objects her whole life. She's 69 years old and she may as well be deaf. The TV has to be blasting for her to hear it. You can be behind her and speak in a normal tone and she can't hear you. She won't go see a doctor because she's a christian fanatical kook who says she don't have a hearing problem cause the lord healed her from it. If you've seen brain washed religious people I can promise you my mother runs neck and neck with them or if not worse. You can't have a conversation with her about anything without god being brought up. And if your not a christian she don't care who you are she'll start preaching at you and if you don't get away from her she'll cram it down your throat no matter how many times you politely tell her you don't wish to hear it. Anyways, on to the next case. I seen this older gent at my great uncles funeral who's been a mechanic his whole life, and he was laughing saying "How do I keep my hands and arms so clean? I wash them in gas" his arms and hands were both severaly discolored. I haven't figured out yet how he was still alive.
As for me, I had back surgury in 2007, and the old gents you see who it takes them all day to get on there feet and moving, that's me now, and I'm only 38.

crussell85 03-08-2012 04:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bad Rat
!

I certainly wish I had used hearing protection , long long ago.. I worked heavy construction for 45 years,,but I didn't want to be bothered with those ear plugs or especally those bulky ear muffs, and safety glasses? I can't count the times I had to go to the emergancy room to have steel slivers dug out of my eyes,, then after that steel started to rust,,go back and have the rust drilled out,, Now that really sucks,,,and now I have to wear tri focals,,where I use to be able to count the hairs on a knats a z z at 50 yards
I now also have very severe hearing loss, to the point of having to have very expensive hearing aids, I'm just lucky that state comp pays for them, for the rest of my life, even tho the hearing loss could have been easly prevented, BY ME
and believe me when I tell you not being able to hear your grand kids, or friends in a conversation, pretty soon you are in a world all your own , a very SILENT WORLD, no one can protect your body but you,,,[/QUOTE]
I'm sorry what did you say? I couldn't hear you. Lol Just Kidding. I tell the guys at work ask the time, just put a pair of ear plugs in your pocket that way you have them if you want them. We have probably fifteen or so guys that work for us right now and I bet it would take us five years to go through a full box of ear plugs! Safety if common sense and nothing anyone should have to be trained on!

MARTINSR 03-08-2012 07:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DoubleVision
For some hearing loss just happens. Take my mother who's never been around any excessively loud objects her whole life. She's 69 years old and she may as well be deaf. The TV has to be blasting for her to hear it. You can be behind her and speak in a normal tone and she can't hear you. She won't go see a doctor because she's a christian fanatical kook who says she don't have a hearing problem cause the lord healed her from it. If you've seen brain washed religious people I can promise you my mother runs neck and neck with them or if not worse. You can't have a conversation with her about anything without god being brought up. And if your not a christian she don't care who you are she'll start preaching at you and if you don't get away from her she'll cram it down your throat no matter how many times you politely tell her you don't wish to hear it. Anyways, on to the next case. I seen this older gent at my great uncles funeral who's been a mechanic his whole life, and he was laughing saying "How do I keep my hands and arms so clean? I wash them in gas" his arms and hands were both severaly discolored. I haven't figured out yet how he was still alive.
As for me, I had back surgury in 2007, and the old gents you see who it takes them all day to get on there feet and moving, that's me now, and I'm only 38.

A friend of mine dropped dead of a heart attack when we were 14 years old, and there are smokers who live to be 100, yes, but the ODDS say you are much better off to protect your body.
I am going to go with the odds and do what ever I can to protect myself, this life is just too friggin good to screw it up over a $20 pair or muffs or the 6 seconds it takes to walk over, get them and put them on. :rolleyes:

Brian

MARTINSR 03-08-2012 07:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by crussell85
just put a pair of ear plugs in your pocket that way you have them if you want them. We have probably fifteen or so guys that work for us right now and I bet it would take us five years to go through a full box of ear plugs! Safety if common sense and nothing anyone should have to be trained on!

Yep, when it hit me that it wasn't against the law to own more than one pair of ear muffs or goggles I bought many pairs of both. I had them all over the shop. Now in my little garage at home it is easy, on top of the tools are ear muffs, goggles, gloves, particle masks and a few respirators are right next to them. I don't have to do but a turn and grab them, takes 10 seconds to put them on and I am off and running.

Brian

tech69 03-08-2012 07:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MARTINSR
If you think protecting yourself makes you slow as molasses, you should watch a 50 year old bodyman who hasn't protected himself, now THAT'S slow.

Henry, you know what I say to the young guys who I work with when I see them not protecting themselves, I say "You want to see your grandkids". Mine is below. :D

I have seen what old bodymen look like who didn't protect themselves. I worked with one guy who was about 10 years older than me. He was SHOT at 55, I mean DONE. It took him longer to in and out of a car than I would take to get a bumper off and I am seriously not joking. I was so blessed, so friggin blessed to have worked next to a machine shop where there was a woman who would wear OSHA style ear protection. I started talking to her about this, why did she wear it? She taught me about the importance of this subject. I am as old as that bodyman who could barely get in and out of a car and can do finger tip pushups and regularly hike up a 2500 foot hill near me without so much as a hickup. (Second photo).

If you think for one minute those guys are slow, it's because they ARE slow, it hasn't a damn thing to do with the ten seconds it takes to put protection on, and I am talking LITERALLY 10 seconds, time it, go ahead and time it, we are talking 10 seconds.

Brian

I've seen kids put on gloves, glasses, and get a creeper just for a few stud pins. Close your eyes for crying out loud and get it done! It's usually the kids that are overly anal about that stuff, and you rarely see seasoned veterans like that cause that attitude goes a lot further than just putting on glasses. In any case, you're right about safety and I do have ear plugs and should probably use them, but there's also a line I draw. If I was going to be overly anal about it I'm probably not doing what's meant to be and not cut out for the work aspect of it. Just my two cents. In a nutshell, I'll use hearing protection and glasses but I'm not gonna go grab my glasses like a safety geek just to mix bondo or sand on filler, and I've seen it done.

MARTINSR 03-08-2012 08:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tech69
I've seen kids put on gloves, glasses, and get a creeper just for a few stud pins. Close your eyes for crying out loud and get it done! It's usually the kids that are overly anal about that stuff, and you rarely see seasoned veterans like that cause that attitude goes a lot further than just putting on glasses. In any case, you're right about safety and I do have ear plugs and should probably use them, but there's also a line I draw. If I was going to be overly anal about it I'm probably not doing what's meant to be and not cut out for the work aspect of it. Just my two cents. In a nutshell, I'll use hearing protection and glasses but I'm not gonna go grab my glasses like a safety geek just to mix bondo or sand on filler, and I've seen it done.

I have a feeling MARTINSR is going to be part of your long term memory as you will bring this conversation up in thirty years. :nono: Being "overly anal" about protecting yourself so you can enjoy this work for decades makes sense to me.

Brian

Brian

1971BB427 03-08-2012 09:54 AM

I really can't believe some of the negative responses to wearing safety equipment. It's really a case of not trying safety equipment long enough to have it become a habit. Believe me I've been there and done that, and argued the same way, but once I wore the equipment long enough I got used to it.
I remember telling the safety people I couldn't work in those gloves, or with those glasses on, or how they slid off my face because they didn't fit right. Couldn't install screws with gloves on, or whatever. It was early on a case of poor style glasses, or gloves that were poorly designed. Most glasses today are really light and fit nicely, so it's easy to wear them and get work done. Gloves have also come a long way! The new Kevlar work gloves will take a direct slice from a razor knife and not cut through, but I can still install small machine screws without removing my gloves.
I used to get a lot of crap in my eyes and often was washing my eyes out, or going to the doctor. I also had a bandaid on my finger just about every week from a cut. Not to mention my hands looked like a battlefield, and were pretty caloused. Now I never see the doctor, or wash my eyes out, and my hands never have any cuts or abrasions.
I'm sold on safety equipment, and I'm not slowed by it. I'm still working while the guy who didn't wear his gloves is stopping to put on a bandaid, or going for stitches.

crussell85 03-08-2012 10:41 AM

As our safety director tells us, "it will take a lot longer to heal from an injury than it will to equip yourself with the proper ppe" If you don't wanna work safe thats fine, but don't encourage others not to!