Show me or Kilbourne body??? - Page 2 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum



Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> General Rodding Tech
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
  #16 (permalink)  
Old 10-31-2011, 10:59 AM
da34guy's Avatar
Registered User
 
Last photo:
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Bumfork, OK
Posts: 496
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 27
Thanked 41 Times in 38 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MARTINSR
When you are paying someone to build a car, that labor isn't free. The money spent on a better body could end being a SAVINGS of money over what the shop would have charged to fine tune the cheaper body.

It isn't only about how firewalls are glued in and such, it's about how the doors and trunk are hung, are they straight, are they finished off nice or will they need a bunch of work to fit them nice enough for your expectations?

Is the body REALLY ready to paint or will it have pin holes and messed up boidy lines that need to be fine tuned, this all adds up to body labor that costs a lot of money.

I would still build some other (cheaper) car that was steel before I built a glass car but that's just me.

Brian
Brian, Your so right.
Labor is $$$$$
The N&N's are straight, Minor pin holes (as with all fiberglass
bodies and the mold seams).
Usually takes me less than 1 day to get a roadster up in epoxy.
Next dat block and prep.
3rd day - Pull the trigger.
Door and deck lids line up great on N&N's
Add 1 1/2 days labor for a coupe.
I'm speaking from 40 + years experiance.
Done many steel 32's over the years.
The last STEEL Brookville roadster I did (a year ago)
I had over 20 hrs in each 1/4 panel, and around 6 -8 hrs in each door and decklid,(the black 1 below)
Just buildin what the buying public wants and can afford.
Ya ever build a glass car?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	3  32's 002.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	326.9 KB
ID:	59272   Click image for larger version

Name:	Nu Orange Finished 004.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	600.5 KB
ID:	59273   Click image for larger version

Name:	Dale Roadster in Del Mar.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	89.1 KB
ID:	59274   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bernies 32 001.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	537.8 KB
ID:	59275  

    Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #17 (permalink)  
Old 10-31-2011, 12:20 PM
Deuce's Avatar
Hotrodders.com Moderator
 
Last wiki edit: Choosing a trailer
Last journal entry: Jan 13 2013
Last photo:
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Deuceland USA
Age: 66
Posts: 5,657
Wiki Edits: 6

Thanks: 0
Thanked 9 Times in 9 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by da34guy
Sure do Randy, and after 37 builds I'm still SOLD on N&N.
Great product.
I knew the count was over 20 ...
I did not know it was as high as 37.

IF 1bad32 likes the style of the fiberglass N&N ... he should buy one.
It is very evident that he is new to Hot Rods and does not really know what he needs.
I do not know what he needs either

I am just trying to get the guy to LOOK around, smell the roses and figure out what suits him.

I have a friend who bought a 32 3W ... from the second owner. It may have been one of your builds. HE hates the car. He did a quick impulse buy. The car is OK ... typical plastic 3W build but not what he wants now that he has been to a few events and shows.

1 ) the coupe smells of resin when sitting in the HOT South Carolina weather
2 ) the paint is lifting ... ( heat on the fiberglass )
3 ) the doors do not open well or latch well ( body has shifted )
4 ) the electric windows fail to work everytime ( electrical ground issue on a fiberglass door )
5 ) NO cowl vent ...
6 ) bucket seats ... ???
7 ) He has a T-350 not a 700R4
8 ) the engine is not real powerful. ( GM 290 HP crate I believe )

He has tried to sell it ... with no buyers.
It will be in Daytona Beach this Thanksgiving ... with a for sale sign in it. He is willing to lose 5 / 7 grand ... just to get rid of the thing.

Disclaimer :

I do not have any interest in selling 1bad32 a coupe. Nor do I want to work on his coupe. I am not trying to get him to buy ANY particular body or product. I am not trying to set the style of his build.

My comments are purely on a educational level.
I am DONE ...

.
__________________


"I won't be wronged . I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. "






Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #18 (permalink)  
Old 10-31-2011, 12:49 PM
MARTINSR's Avatar
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser
 
Last photo:
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: San francisco bay area
Age: 55
Posts: 13,370
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 1,495
Thanked 1,270 Times in 1,112 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by da34guy
Brian, Your so right.
Labor is $$$$$
The N&N's are straight, Minor pin holes (as with all fiberglass
bodies and the mold seams).
Usually takes me less than 1 day to get a roadster up in epoxy.
Next dat block and prep.
3rd day - Pull the trigger.
Door and deck lids line up great on N&N's
Add 1 1/2 days labor for a coupe.
I'm speaking from 40 + years experiance.
Done many steel 32's over the years.
The last STEEL Brookville roadster I did (a year ago)
I had over 20 hrs in each 1/4 panel, and around 6 -8 hrs in each door and decklid,(the black 1 below)
Just buildin what the buying public wants and can afford.
Ya ever build a glass car?
A couple many years ago, a T bucket and a 36 Auburn replica. They were HORRIBLE. I know they have gotten a lot better and I have looked at the bodies available today and they are VERY nice compared to the ones I did.

Brian
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #19 (permalink)  
Old 10-31-2011, 01:04 PM
da34guy's Avatar
Registered User
 
Last photo:
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Bumfork, OK
Posts: 496
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 27
Thanked 41 Times in 38 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deuce
I knew the count was over 20 ...
I did not know it was as high as 37.

IF 1bad32 likes the style of the fiberglass N&N ... he should buy one.
It is very evident that he is new to Hot Rods and does not really know what he needs.
I do not know what he needs either

I am just trying to get the guy to LOOK around, smell the roses and figure out what suits him.

I have a friend who bought a 32 3W ... from the second owner. It may have been one of your builds. HE hates the car. He did a quick impulse buy. The car is OK ... typical plastic 3W build but not what he wants now that he has been to a few events and shows.

1 ) the coupe smells of resin when sitting in the HOT South Carolina weather
2 ) the paint is lifting ... ( heat on the fiberglass )
3 ) the doors do not open well or latch well ( body has shifted )
4 ) the electric windows fail to work everytime ( electrical ground issue on a fiberglass door )
5 ) NO cowl vent ...
6 ) bucket seats ... ???
7 ) He has a T-350 not a 700R4
8 ) the engine is not real powerful. ( GM 290 HP crate I believe )

He has tried to sell it ... with no buyers.
It will be in Daytona Beach this Thanksgiving ... with a for sale sign in it. He is willing to lose 5 / 7 grand ... just to get rid of the thing.

Disclaimer :

I do not have any interest in selling 1bad32 a coupe. Nor do I want to work on his coupe. I am not trying to get him to buy ANY particular body or product. I am not trying to set the style of his build.

My comments are purely on a educational level.
I am DONE ...

.
Wasn't 1 of mine Randy.
The problem with your buddy's is related to bad resin or high resin content.
Lotsa lo end body mfg's use waaaay tooo much resin, causing the problems your buddy is having.
A quality body won't smell, expand or contract after 72 hrs of cure time.
None of mine ever get Baby motors, or bucket seats.
Re: the ground issue, if ya build em right with a good ground buss you'l never have a problem.
The paint problem he's having is related to PPP (piXX poor prep)
Probably 1 of those P.O.S outta Mission Kansas.
Have had the very unfortunate opportunity to rework a couple of those over the years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #20 (permalink)  
Old 10-31-2011, 01:11 PM
da34guy's Avatar
Registered User
 
Last photo:
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Bumfork, OK
Posts: 496
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 27
Thanked 41 Times in 38 Posts
Here's anutter plastic build Randy
Notice the W/S Frame and hinges.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	32 Vicky in OK.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	237.4 KB
ID:	59301   Click image for larger version

Name:	Vicky in Tampa.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	228.7 KB
ID:	59302   Click image for larger version

Name:	32 Vicky side.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	74.5 KB
ID:	59303  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #21 (permalink)  
Old 10-31-2011, 04:22 PM
Deuce's Avatar
Hotrodders.com Moderator
 
Last wiki edit: Choosing a trailer
Last journal entry: Jan 13 2013
Last photo:
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Deuceland USA
Age: 66
Posts: 5,657
Wiki Edits: 6

Thanks: 0
Thanked 9 Times in 9 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by da34guy
The problem with your buddy's is related to bad resin or high resin content.
Lotsa lo end body mfg's use waaaay tooo much resin, causing the problems your buddy is having.
A quality body won't smell, expand or contract after 72 hrs of cure time.
None of mine ever get Baby motors, or bucket seats.
Re: the ground issue, if ya build em right with a good ground buss you'l never have a problem.
The paint problem he's having is related to PPP (piXX poor prep)
Probably 1 of those P.O.S outta Mission Kansas.
Have had the very unfortunate opportunity to rework a couple of those over the years.
I have two friends with a Wescott and a Gibbons body. BOTH of them smells ... after sitting in the sun all day @ a car show. Even Gibbons and Wescott tell you not to paint your fiberglass body a dark color.


Like I said ... if 1bad32 wants a N&N body ... he should pull the trigger and get one. He just should KNOW what He is buying before hand
__________________


"I won't be wronged . I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. "






Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #22 (permalink)  
Old 10-31-2011, 07:57 PM
1bad32's Avatar
Registered User
 
Last photo:
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: California
Posts: 101
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by da34guy
Sure do Randy, and after 37 builds I'm still SOLD on N&N.
Great product.

I did talk to Dwayne this morning and He was very honest and helpful!!!
It will be between Show Me's body and N&N.{I believe they are both good bodies}
Both Owners said their bodies are about the same.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #23 (permalink)  
Old 10-31-2011, 08:08 PM
1bad32's Avatar
Registered User
 
Last photo:
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: California
Posts: 101
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by da34guy
Probably 1 of those P.O.S outta Mission Kansas.
Have had the very unfortunate opportunity to rework a couple of those over the years.

I hope You not referring to Fast Lane speed shop,,,because that's who's doing Mine????
I've talked to a few people and They said they build pretty good rods.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #24 (permalink)  
Old 10-31-2011, 11:42 PM
Deuce's Avatar
Hotrodders.com Moderator
 
Last wiki edit: Choosing a trailer
Last journal entry: Jan 13 2013
Last photo:
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Deuceland USA
Age: 66
Posts: 5,657
Wiki Edits: 6

Thanks: 0
Thanked 9 Times in 9 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1bad32
I hope You not referring to Fast Lane speed shop,,,because that's who's doing Mine????
I've talked to a few people and They said they build pretty good rods.

They have built a few cars for George Poteet ...

http://www.fastlanerodshop.com/Past.htm
__________________


"I won't be wronged . I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. "






Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #25 (permalink)  
Old 11-01-2011, 12:31 PM
MARTINSR's Avatar
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser
 
Last photo:
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: San francisco bay area
Age: 55
Posts: 13,370
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 1,495
Thanked 1,270 Times in 1,112 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deuce
I have two friends with a Wescott and a Gibbons body. BOTH of them smells ... after sitting in the sun all day @ a car show.
OMG that would tick me off!

Brian
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #26 (permalink)  
Old 11-01-2011, 03:27 PM
Deuce's Avatar
Hotrodders.com Moderator
 
Last wiki edit: Choosing a trailer
Last journal entry: Jan 13 2013
Last photo:
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Deuceland USA
Age: 66
Posts: 5,657
Wiki Edits: 6

Thanks: 0
Thanked 9 Times in 9 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MARTINSR
OMG that would tick me off!

Brian
I have a friend with a Outlaw fiberglass coupe and it does not smell.
My friend with the Wecott coupe ( which does smell ) has a Wescott roadster and it does not smell. The roadster is newer than the coupe. I believe the closed in confines of the coupe helps hold the resin type smell more so than a roadster.

The Gibbons is a 33/34 coupe also.
It is BLACK too ... so you know it is hot. But the paint has held up good and looks nice.

FastLane has built some real nice, award winning cars. I really like the 32 Ford sedan delivery they built. It is PERFECT.

.
__________________


"I won't be wronged . I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. "






Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #27 (permalink)  
Old 11-01-2011, 05:45 PM
bentwings's Avatar
bentwings
 
Last photo:
Join Date: May 2002
Location: St.Paul, Minn
Age: 72
Posts: 1,798
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 0
Thanked 16 Times in 15 Posts
I have an ACRODS (Antique and Collectable) Willys and it does not smell. They bake the body for a day or so in an oven to fully cure the resin.

I've recored 165 deg skin temp on my car a number times. 10 years old and still in good shape.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #28 (permalink)  
Old 11-02-2011, 04:49 AM
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Pa.
Posts: 20
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
quality glass bodies

I have never had so much of a hint of paint or odor problems with any of the
N&N bodies. I have built several for others (some painted black) and drive one as a daily driver in the summer for the last 5 yrs. Without quality glass bodies many of todays rodders could never enjoy our hobby as most of the oem Henrys are gone.The current aftermarket supply could not exist making our hobby even more limited. Whatever you choose welcome to our world and good luck.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #29 (permalink)  
Old 11-02-2011, 08:14 AM
1bad32's Avatar
Registered User
 
Last photo:
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: California
Posts: 101
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. T
I have never had so much of a hint of paint or odor problems with any of the
N&N bodies. I have built several for others (some painted black) and drive one as a daily driver in the summer for the last 5 yrs. Without quality glass bodies many of todays rodders could never enjoy our hobby as most of the oem Henrys are gone.The current aftermarket supply could not exist making our hobby even more limited. Whatever you choose welcome to our world and good luck.

Thank You!!
It's gonna be an N&N or a Show Me .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #30 (permalink)  
Old 11-02-2011, 02:40 PM
Registered User
 
Last wiki edit: Mopar tapered axle rear brake conversion
Last journal entry: What I'm doing now...
Last photo:
Join Date: Jan 2002
Posts: 4,267
Wiki Edits: 49

Thanks: 0
Thanked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. T
I have never had so much of a hint of paint or odor problems with any of the
N&N bodies.......
Its not paint odor they're talking about its fiberglass resin odor. Cheap resin will smell for quite a while, especially when it gets hot.

My Dave Koorey body (probably one of the least expensive bodies available when it was produced back in the early 90's) sat for more than 10 years before I started on the build. Does not smell at all. So, even some of the lesser expensive bodies can be made of good resin.

Centerline
HotRodsAndHemis.com

The most important things you learn are those things you learn AFTER you know it all. -- Chip Foose
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Recent General Rodding Tech posts with photos

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Dream Machine show is coming! May 1st NOT just a car show! MARTINSR Hotrodders' Lounge 4 04-19-2011 01:51 PM
Freak show photos from the body shop. MARTINSR Hotrodders' Lounge 15 08-15-2009 04:37 PM
Questions for paint guys - body show messed up my car zbhover Body - Exterior 9 06-25-2009 08:58 PM
nick kilbourne N.KILBOURNE Introduce Yourself 2 10-23-2005 12:49 PM
New Age, Kilbourne, Gibbons, Wescott McDeuce Body - Exterior 47 03-09-2004 11:33 AM


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 06:45 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2
Copyright Hotrodders.com 1999 - 2012. All Rights Reserved.