Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - show me your home made tools so I can copy them!
View Single Post
  #130 (permalink)  
Old 09-08-2010, 04:50 PM
Ray Bell Ray Bell is offline
Registered User
 
Last photo:
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Dalveen
Posts: 200
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Once I found out that Peugeots had rebuildable tie rod ends I decided to make it my business to do that job myself... not hard...

But then there were the ball joints on the lower ends of the Macpherson struts, which are quite a deal harder and require 'Special Tools' from the factory.

Not my style, so I looked it over and went out seeking materials. I determined that I wouldn't spend any money on this, just use up bits I had or could find for nothing.

First there was a cover that screwed into the socket in the lower control arm. It required a 3-pronged device, so I went to a suspension shop and raided their pile of discarded struts and shock absorbers. I found a piece of tube that fitted neat inside the cover, then another piece that slipped over it. I cut the larger piece so it fitted into the slots on the cover and welded it over the piece that slipped inside, drilled a hole in the other end and I had my tool to remove the cover.

But inside the nut that held the ball onto the taper that's on the bottom of the strut (yeah, they are way different to any other struts!) required something similar in reverse. A piece of hollow tie rod was the right diameter to cut the prongs into and fit over the central section of this nut, I simply welded an old socket onto the other end.

And so I became capable of doing my own ball joints on Peugeot front ends. Cost me a couple of sticks of weld and a bit of running around finding materials.
Reply With Quote