Hot Rod Forum banner

show me your home made tools so I can copy them!

290K views 238 replies 67 participants last post by  OneMoreTime 
#1 ·
home made tools that worked

I just thought it would be cool to hear of peoples home made tools that worked to do the job, or even better if it worked better than the actual tool did.

#179 ·
Sandblasting Cabinet

Just wanted to let you all see the mostly finished cabinet. Only two things left for me to do. Hook up one of my shop vacs to use as the venting system and a couple ground straps inside to help direct any charges that may build up.

Attachments

#180 ·
Hi,

I am new to this forum, and want to explore new things about techniques and tools used in garage.

I have a Query : Is there any home made tools for welding rods so that joint form will stay for longer period of time? Or a better technique to weld, because every time I made a joint, somethings happens to it, and the joint got broken. If some one can suggest me something, then I will be heartly thankful to that person.

Thanks and Regards.

#181 ·
Welding

Haven't done much stick welding but have done plenty of MIG. When I find that happening, it usually indicates I'm not getting good enough penetration. Poor penetration can cause the welds to end up barely attached. I attached two pics. The first one is poor, and the second one is good. I would start by examining your welds and maybe practice on some pieces till you get a weld that can't be broken with a hammer.

Attachments

#182 ·
rod size

Hey bro, can you give a little more info? What are you welding, what size rod and type. I.E. 7018, 6011 etc. You did say your stick welding right? Are your rods dry and your ground is solid for every weld? One more question, why aren't you mig welding it. Don't get me wrong I love stick welding, but some times mig welding is just more practical on a project.
Good luck on your project What are you building anyway? :thumbup:

#184 ·
Along the lines of the brake bleeder is my transfer case and differential filler. It is made from a 2qt jar, a metal disc in place of the glass cap with a tube and an airline fitting soldered on. It can be used with a bicycle pump,or very low air pressure from a regulator. Make sure to remove the valve core so it stops when you want it to.

#185 ·
NOBLNG said:
Along the lines of the brake bleeder is my transfer case and differential filler. It is made from a 2qt jar, a metal disc in place of the glass cap with a tube and an airline fitting soldered on. It can be used with a bicycle pump,or very low air pressure from a regulator. Make sure to remove the valve core so it stops when you want it to.

Its the simple ones that make you smile when you use them . :thumbup: I may have to make myself one of those!

#186 ·
Useful adaption to spray gun.

Thats a great idea noblng for an awkward spot to pour oil. Trying to pour oil uphill is a pain, especially around the diff/gearbox.
Here is one idea i found on this web site and put to use for spraying uphill . I cant remember who posted but it works great. It allowed me to spray under the dash and under the guards inside the trunk in my mustang where there was originally no paint. Just add a small piece of fuel hose and push two air hose fittings into each end.Trick was to spray with your head up under neath and not fume yourself out.

Attachments

#187 ·
NOBLNG said:
:thumbup: :thumbup:

#191 ·
deadbodyman, that is going to be my welding sign, it needs another 5 ft beam so I can plant it. Not an original idea, just something different.

For the reduction the large pulley is 10.5 granger;http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/BROWNING-Fixed-Bore-One-Groove-Sheave-3X805?Pid=search

The small 3 stage pulley is actually a piece made by JET it is a; 3SP-14 three speed kit, that is the name and part number needed to find it.

The first attempt just using the Jet kit did not slow the saw down enough. The big pulley was the answer.

Attachments

#192 ·
That sign is AWESOME! Beautiful job Pepi! I love the "sparks" coming off the arc! :thumbup:

A friend of mine who owns a local muffler shop had an awesome display with the name of the shop spelled out using muffler pipe. But other shops in the building complained because it looked like the whole building housing a number of other shops was all the same muffler shop and the landlord made him take it down, or at least made him remove his name. :rolleyes:

I'll try to get a picture of it. But I have to say, the art you have made there is much better. I love that stuff!

Brian

#195 ·
I dont have pics, but if someone would like some i can get them up...

I made a tire grooving stand, for cutting grooves in dirt track racing tires. Usually I had to sit in a chair, hold the tire between my legs, and groove about a 6 inch area, then spin the tire some and do it again. But, this year I took an old rotor, with my bolt pattern on it, welded a bolt to my overhead hoist, then took a big washer and welded it to the bolt. Next i took the rotor, with the bearing still inside, and stuck it over the bolt. The rear bearings contacted the washer, then took another washer for the front, and put a nut on the bolt. Now i can stand while i grove tires, and just spin the tire a little bit! Took a 30 min/tire job and turned it into a 5 min/tire job! Also works great for siping, and grinding the tires!!

Also, we had to pull the trans out of the car alot this year, 3 speed saginaw. So we took some 6 inch long bolts that fit the bellhousing where the trans bolts up, cut the heads off and then ground the ends round! now we just stick the trans up, and use the bolts as long dowel pins! makes putting a trans in A LOT faster!

Then for speedy pit stops, i took my 1 inch impact socket, and spot welded a light valve spring inside, so when the nut comes loose, you pull the socket away and the nut pops out of the socket!

We also have put a skid on our jack, to aid in manuvering on dirt, ran a controller from the valve up the handle so we dont have to take the handle off to let the car down, and put a big foot on the lifting part of the jack to keep the car stable during a fericious tire change!

#197 ·
The long bolt idea is a good one, would make a breeze of lining up the input shaft through the clutch.

Reminds me of doing a similar thing on Peugeot cylinder heads, the engine leans over at 45° like one bank of a V8, but there are no dowels. Two head bolts with the heads rounded off and flats for screwing them out, makes it a breeze...

And on the Peugeot the bellhousing is very tight in around the floor, so we get long bolts into the crossmember and drop it 2", engine and all drops, all the wiring is long enough and there's enough flex in the radiator hoses.

Then it's easy to get the box in and out.

#199 ·
pilot bearing alignment

BigRoy1978 said:
When i used to work on heavy trucks, thats how we would put third members, trannys, hubs...almost anything really heavy on! that and its all lined up pretty much.
If you're having trouble with pilot bearing alignment and you're alone, you can put valve springs, washers nuts on the long studs, snug up some, pull the coil wire hit the clutch turn it over a bit and it will snap in every time. ;)

#201 ·
BigRoy1978 said:
thats what i used to do, but the racecar has a hydraulic throwout bearing, so it doesnt work very good.
I have also used studs for intake manifold installs. 2 on one side will make it sit down straight and keep you from hurting the gaskets or the RTV bead.
Used to have quite an assortment of them when we did a lot of clutch work. Always used them to reinstall trannys, made life easy and if you were working alone made it so you could rest for a few seconds letting the studs support the transmission.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.