Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - show me your home made tools so I can copy them!
View Single Post
Old 04-08-2011, 01:18 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

a few days ago i broke out my homemade buffer (i haven't been in the garage really for a couple years) i had forgotten how satisfying buffing metal can be, it's great when you've been working different pads and compounds and all of a sudden you start to see the unmistakable signs of success. i highly recommend it.
so then i saw this thread and had to send a pic since friends have laughed when i told them about it and say "no way" when i show it to them and then they nod and rub their chins when i demonstrate it.
it's especially funny since it's basically made from an exercise walker (treadmill?) that was out on the street for bulk trash pickup and an old floor jack, i actually grabbed the treadmill for the metal frame which i used to make a tiny trailer for a guy who paid me 200 bucks for it .
the rollers have a 3/4 shaft and a bearing at each end, and was even fine threaded at one end, readily available chucks will screw right as does most everything else.... plus, since there were two rollers, i have a spare which i thought i'd need, but still haven't, the floor jack i just chopped up and welded for the stand. the shaft is basically unaltered except mounted and gusseted with a pulley on one end, (you can use different size pulleys for different speeds, i also used to use it as a bench grinder before i bought one) the motor is off my table saw which is what i clamp the buffer to when i use it. i thought about a third pulley so i didn't have to swap it out, but, it's no big deal, 4 bolts.
while i was out there taking a pic, i figured i'd send one of my version of an "upright" compressor too. it's just a couple small tanks that had been thrown away hooked together with a hose and check valve (which was already in the tank) , the pump is a harbor freight special, 100 bucks on sale for their big one, 5 hp or whatever, the motor is the key, its a commercial unit from an out of business garage a friend gave me, all combined, it kind of kicks ***.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	buffer1.jpg
Views:	1074
Size:	41.0 KB
ID:	54284   Click image for larger version

Name:	compr3.jpg
Views:	804
Size:	16.0 KB
ID:	54285