show me your home made tools so I can copy them! - Page 7 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Garage - Tools
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-24-2009, 05:50 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Lots of great inventions !

A small bit of advice that mght help with some of the photo's. Assuming you are using a digital camera and not a cell phone there is usually a "macro" function that allows the camera to focus in the close up range.
but for Gods sake, don't read the manual to find out how to use that function, you will loose your man card. Go at it like I do, try all the dam options until I figure it out, wasting hours of my time, LOL.

Oh, and it is best to do this out in the shop away from the wifes eyes, or other wise she will have some stupid comment like " why don't you read the manual?"

Merry Christmas fellas

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-29-2010, 03:27 PM
Im trying to have an idea!

Last photo:

Thought I would add this one.
36" paper roll cutter. Thought I would practice welding a bit.

had some rusty scrap around and thought I may as well put it to use.

copper tube for paper holder, 3 pieces of left over t-bar ceiling system with $4 harbor freight blade welded to it, center carb stud to hold down air cleaner guides the tbar down while the carb springs pull it down tight (but not to tight). I have a tape holder there too, so when you pull paper tape will be at edge (ran out of tape). Works great.

Old 04-29-2010, 03:42 PM

Last photo:

I thought I would go ahead and address table issue.
The table is solid but the legs are not assembled very well and wobbles bad.

Un-bolted the wood off the legs and was glad the 3x3x1/16 metal legs were extremely sturdy.

had a piece of 3x3x1/16 unistrut in the corner. Cut in half was the exact width of the table . Welded all sides. Also I did sand off the galvanized coating and paint from metals, although it does not look like it.

painted- HF welding mask does work great, thought I would throw that in.

Gona pick up some caster for it soon, may be today. I do get excited when I have time to do this kinda stuff.
Old 04-29-2010, 08:01 PM

Last wiki edit: Stripping paint Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 11

looks great Mr Gm.
Old 04-30-2010, 01:55 AM

Last photo:

thanks, i welded some casters on today. rolls nice and smooth . i <3 HF
Old 04-30-2010, 07:31 AM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:

Thanked 1,169 Times in 1,031 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by thirdmouse
My dad made a pair of these jackstands probably before I was born. I think they used to be tractor axle housings, I'm not sure. I wish I had another pair of them.
That is a classic, I have a pair myself. And those are early Ford axle housings, not a tractor.

Brian
Old 05-02-2010, 10:51 AM
done learning, done living

Last photo:

MRGM is that a Miller Passport in the photos or is it a suitcase welder? If that is the Passport have you ever ran the small one pound bottles of gas on it? And if you have how long do they last? We have a Miller Passport at work and we like the portability of the 110 volt welders like the Miller 140. That is why we chose the passport is because of the portability of it and being able to run it on 110 and 220. I really like the welder but I can't get them to try the 1 pound bottles because they don't think they will last long enough to buy them so we just run flux core in it.
Old 05-02-2010, 11:06 AM

Last journal entry: Finished
Last photo:

MRGM,

Luv the hand drawn frowney faces and the running commentary.

By the way, speaking of frowney faces for you curmudgeons. Did you know it takes over 40 muscles to show a frown...but only 4 to give the finger? (Heard last week on Prairie Home Companion of all places.)
Old 05-02-2010, 03:15 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by crussell85
MRGM is that a Miller Passport in the photos or is it a suitcase welder? If that is the Passport have you ever ran the small one pound bottles of gas on it? And if you have how long do they last? We have a Miller Passport at work and we like the portability of the 110 volt welders like the Miller 140. That is why we chose the passport is because of the portability of it and being able to run it on 110 and 220. I really like the welder but I can't get them to try the 1 pound bottles because they don't think they will last long enough to buy them so we just run flux core in it.
yes it is the Miller Passport Plus. the little 12oz internal bottle lasts at least 20 min. (for the small stuff I have been doing it lasts a lot longer) continuous welding, or 20 feet of heavy duty welding. I went ahead and bought an extra bottle (just the regular paintball CO2 bottles) from Academy sports for $20 and filled it for $3, just in case I run out in the middle of something. I can change them on the fly with no problem. I have been using the .030 wire. I also bought the flux core because I thought it would not last long also, I was wrong. You can buy and have bottle of reserve if you get into long welding. So far I have been doing 17/18 gauge to 1/8" on a regular extension cord with no problems at all. No heat issues, works like a champ.
Old 05-02-2010, 03:17 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cboy
MRGM,

Luv the hand drawn frowney faces and the running commentary.

By the way, speaking of frowney faces for you curmudgeons. Did you know it takes over 40 muscles to show a frown...but only 4 to give the finger? (Heard last week on Prairie Home Companion of all places.)
Thank ya sir.

I el oh eled
Old 05-05-2010, 05:36 PM

Last photo:

We have a Miller Passport at work and always run bare wire. We had our local supplier make us a special bottle for it.
It is a "60" with one of those no cap tops on it and is filled with #6.
It is easy to transport and lasts far longer than messing with those little bottles, and needless to say we dont have the messy fluxcor welds.
Old 05-05-2010, 06:58 PM
V8 Beetle & Hovercrafts

Last photo:

I've made tons of homemade tools. Lots for the hovercrafts that my dad and I built over the years. Plus I'm an industrial mechanic so I've made plenty of SST (special service tools)

Here is one from a hovercraft project, I just stumbled on this video on my computer.

The summer after I graduated Highschool (2003) I designed and built a 1/2 scale RC hovercraft, 6' long 5hp garden tiller engine, 30" foam prop I designed and built, etc........

Anyways I've been into wood turning for a long time so I figured why not make a lathe to turn a thrust duct for the hovercraft. I cut 2 30.25" disks with a home made router circle cutter, spaced them apart with 2x4's and had a 1" hole drilled through the center. Then wrapped the disks with 1/8" plywood for the liner of the duct and then wrapped I think 2" foam around that. I then mounted a 1" dowel cantilever style to the work bench. Next I made a treadle lathe and used that to spin the duct and used some drywall sanding screen to turn it down into an airfoil shape. (sanding screen works great for sanding foam btw)

Anyway here is a quick video of it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=93Qr2PRlKlw

And a couple finished pictures of the rc hover, I designed and build pretty much everything but the engine, pulleys and belt.

Old 05-05-2010, 07:48 PM

Last photo:

Did you just brain wash me with that video.
Old 05-08-2010, 04:41 AM
V8 Beetle & Hovercrafts

Last photo:

I was trying...........

Did it work????????

Do you feel the urge to finish up laying the laminate flooring in my house so I can go out in the garage and work on our beetle project??????

LOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRGM
Did you just brain wash me with that video.
Old 05-09-2010, 01:48 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by zbhover
I was trying...........

Did it work????????

Do you feel the urge to finish up laying the laminate flooring in my house so I can go out in the garage and work on our beetle project??????

LOL

No, just a craving to eat lunch meat on the floor in my kitchen....think you were off a little.

Recent Garage - Tools posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.