Hot Rod Forum banner

Show Off Your Man Cave

6K views 14 replies 4 participants last post by  Striker 
#1 ·
I am in the planning stages for a garage build and could use some inspiration. The garage I really want is over budget so I will have to have a smaller slab and maybe even in a location that I dont want. I have not had a garage in about a year now and its killing me. I will have one this year even if it just a floor but with all the hurtles it seems like I an humbled more and more every day. I really hate to have a smaller slab but I am stuck unless I can some how come up with 2 more grand.

This thread can be your own place to show off your work space, talk about future space or just hang out. My favorite thing about the garage is having my own space to hang things up and organize, with no worry of looking for the remote etc. It keeps us out of trouble and gives us a place to hang out and drink a beer or two. Talk about projects etc.

So post some pics guys and gals. Here is pictures of my old 2 bay garage. We only rented that house for a year before we bought this place. I loved that shop but it was unheated and very drafty.

See less See more
#3 ·
Here is where I have been working for the last year. When its cold I cant work. When it rains I cant work cause the water turns the floor to mud. No creeper, just cardboard.

The first pic is the old shed that I have to keep my tools in. It has holes and my tools are rusting along with mouse making homes in my box and also found some snake skin once. I also have 3 other buildings where some tools are. I am scattered all over the place and its hard to find things at times. My poor cherry picker is covered by a tarp and the metal shelf with doors that you see above by the compressor is getting water in it when it rains.
The foam box is a makeshift well house. On the right of the shed is where I want the garage to be but will cost 1,000-1,500 more cause the ground is not level.

Second is of the carport I work on cars in. Dirt floor. It does have lights, a switch and two outlets. The compressor and my welder stay in the bigger shed and I have to have 100' of air hose to reach the car port.

The third picture is the large shed with a lean too. Tools are all over like I was saying. Its nice to have buildings but every one of them need work. I had to put new 2x12" in the large building to hold the floor up. That was fun. I loaded it down with stuff when I moved here and had to take it all back out to fix the floor.

The last one is to show where the cheep floor would go. Down by where the 5th wheel is. That would make it pretty close to the road. I need to save money but this place is paid off in 5 more years and we want to build up the hill behind the camara 100 yards. It would give us a view and cell phone service :). I plan on keeping the house we live in now as a guest house and a bar with a pool table in the living room. Also want arcades and a standing electric dart board.

#8 ·
This is my garage/man cave. The pics show a clean workshop but these pics were taken a while ago. Now it has got more "clutter" with unused household furniture. I have also posted a couple of pics of my lathe and 3 in 1 combination machine, both which are my latest additions to my garage tools list.

Attachments

#11 ·
mi chael said:
This is my garage/man cave. The pics show a clean workshop but these pics were taken a while ago. Now it has got more "clutter" with unused household furniture. I have also posted a couple of pics of my lathe and 3 in 1 combination machine, both which are my latest additions to my garage tools list.
Looks good. I like the size and the style. Looks like what I am shooting for. What size and did you design or buy a kit? Id like more info on your set up. Sure its not as warm in the winter but that could be fixed over time. I bet u can put a lift in the center huh? My second bidder is due to be here in an hour. I am getting excited.

#12 ·
I am from down under. Prices may vary quite a bit. It cost me(including installation) about $3200. That was 16 years ago. The size being 20 foot by 24 foot. I dug the hole for the pit by hand, and did the concreting as well myself. The layout of the machinery etc has changed every time I buy something new. I used to have a rod in the shed, now it is full of machining and welding machinery. Most of which I use every day. I still do a lot of panel work with rods and normal cars alike. Something to keep me busy away from my normal work. Please get back to me if you need any other info. Happy to help!!!

Cheers!!!

#13 · (Edited)
mi chael said:
I am from down under. Prices may vary quite a bit. It cost me(including installation) about $3200. That was 16 years ago. The size being 20 foot by 24 foot. I dug the hole for the pit by hand, and did the concreting as well myself. The layout of the machinery etc has changed every time I buy something new. I used to have a rod in the shed, now it is full of machining and welding machinery. Most of which I use every day. I still do a lot of panel work with rods and normal cars alike. Something to keep me busy away from my normal work. Please get back to me if you need any other info. Happy to help!!!

Cheers!!!
One guy out of the 6 places I have called for bids on the flat work has showed and did what he said he was going to do. I was thinking about teaching myself. How much experience did you have with concrete before u did your floor?

The one guy seems high. He wants over 4 grand for a 24x30 floor on flat land. I can do this cant I? I have a book that I been reading but its never the same as doing it.

#14 ·
I had a bit of experience before I decided to concrete my garage floor. However, I did not mention that I had 3 other friends who helped. I put on a Barbie and beers, and made a day of it. Maybe you might be able to get some friends to do the same. Just a thought. I had all the preliminary work done, we just had to wheel barrow the lot (a full truck load being 6 cubic metres) in about 2 hours. Plus final levelling and finishing off in about 3 hours tops. We started early in the morning before it got too hot.

#15 ·
mi chael said:
I had a bit of experience before I decided to concrete my garage floor. However, I did not mention that I had 3 other friends who helped. I put on a Barbie and beers, and made a day of it. Maybe you might be able to get some friends to do the same. Just a thought. I had all the preliminary work done, we just had to wheel barrow the lot (a full truck load being 6 cubic metres) in about 2 hours. Plus final levelling and finishing off in about 3 hours tops. We started early in the morning before it got too hot.
I think it would be best for me to pay someone. At least I can get the floor in and feel more safe under a car that the jack stand is not going to sink in the dirt. Then finish the build next year. Really as long as its done before the house is paid off in 5 years. Thats the plan.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.