Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - show pics of your engines boys!
View Single Post
Old 06-29-2006, 01:10 AM
Hates: Liver. Loves: Diesel

Last wiki edit: How to find cheap parts
Last journal entry: 1999-2001: Getting it on the road
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 16

Not quite as flashy as some of yours, but this is the first engine I built myself... and I mean built mySELF. The only thing I didn't do on this build was pin the pistons to the rods since they were press-fit. Otherwise every nut, bolt, and part choice I did myself from the valvesprings to the gaskets. Its a 60-over 454 with a comp cams XE262H cam (218/224), edelbrock intake, Mallory billet HEI, Hooker super comp coated headers, speed pro 8.7:1 pistons, and all the other normal goodies. It makes about 390hp (est) and one month after I built it, I drove it 8000 miles on a cross-country three-month trip and it never missed a lick. I had to tighten a water hose clamp and I replaced the alternator in Ohio, but 20,000 miles later its never given me anything but smiles... and 9 mpg

Its VERY "vanilla" in the grand scheme of things, but even though I've built some more exotic stuff since then, this was my first. My next project will probably be a high-boost Subaru STI boxer in the neighborhood of 450 hp for a 74 Maverick.

Pics of the 454: