Hot Rod Forum banner

show pics of your engines boys!

243K views 565 replies 305 participants last post by  adantessr 
#1 ·
im working on a 1970 355 supercharged 2 600's 4spd 4.11 posi gmc 1/2 ton stepside truck i got over 15k invested so far here's some pictures

Attachments

See less See more
#55 ·
Here's my rat, at the moment a cranky little bastard...But I guess that's just what they call teething pains :)

402 chevy
hi comp "L78"-pistons with almost zero deck
Eddy oval-port Performer heads
Torker II manifold with a Holley hodge-podge DP on top (about 830 cfm)
Comp Cams valvetrain (roller rockers, pushrods, lifters, roller cam with nice big lumps on it)
HEI with an accel coil on top
Big evil headers with 3" H-pipe and two Apple Racing blow-through mufflers - LOUD :D
Very, very sluggish off the line, then the entire choir comes charging in at 2600 rpm and never shuts up.

Attachments

#57 ·
LeadfootBob said:
Very, very sluggish off the line, then the entire choir comes charging in at 2600 rpm and never shuts up.
Hmmm...
I bought a TorkerII intake at a swap meet for my 454, and have been worrying about that "sluggish off the line" thing ever since.

I don't have the engine completely assembled yet, so I'm thinking that buying an "Air Gap" intake (which is a dual-plane) might be the way to go. It's supposed to be good for 1500 - 6500 ... whereas the Torker is 2500 - 6500.

I DO have a 2400 RPM Nitrous Holeshot converter ... so it MIGHT be OK ... but that goofy-looking cocked carb mount is causing me some stress as far as the Holley dual-inlet fuel line goes. It's positioned so that it won't clear a tall valve cover.

I'm thinking that the Torker is headed back to a swap meet. :D

#62 ·
66GMC said:
Hmmm...
I bought a TorkerII intake at a swap meet for my 454, and have been worrying about that "sluggish off the line" thing ever since.

I don't have the engine completely assembled yet, so I'm thinking that buying an "Air Gap" intake (which is a dual-plane) might be the way to go. It's supposed to be good for 1500 - 6500 ... whereas the Torker is 2500 - 6500.

I DO have a 2400 RPM Nitrous Holeshot converter ... so it MIGHT be OK ... but that goofy-looking cocked carb mount is causing me some stress as far as the Holley dual-inlet fuel line goes. It's positioned so that it won't clear a tall valve cover.

I'm thinking that the Torker is headed back to a swap meet. :D
The amusing thing with my combo is the surprising fact that the sluggishness HELPS me off the line as it is right now.
With the old heads/cam I had gobs of torque from idle on up, torque that was no good at all when I have 1900 kilograms of car to move and about 9 inches of rubber per side to move it - No matter how much I babied the car off the line the tires went all white n' smoky once the loud pedal came down all the way.

Now I just foot brake her up to 1200 or so (swap meet B&M converter, 2200 rpm stall my ***!) and nail the throttle. Without any kind of bottom pull in the motor she starts rolling (no sputtering at all after fiddling a bit with the carb) and after 20-30 feet or so she's in the powerband and pulling like a freight train, no tires spun more than needed.

I read afterwards in "High Performance" (great book btw) that Keith Black used this trick back in the day to improve traction in a slingshot he was having problems with.

Crude as hell, but it works until I can put some cash behind the motor :)

#63 ·
Classix_Lover said:
::drools everywhere:: :drool: :drool: How about we swap elky's? My 64 for your 59.. please!! Haha man that's a beauty right there.
Someone stopped by my house and tried to buy my 66ec, While I was out of town. Good thing by BETTER half knew what was good for her-

Got another Rat in the garage just itchin' to go into it, But i will probably put it in the C-10 as that 454 has about had it.

#65 ·
jesse01 said:
the biggest and baddest of all back in it's day, but i think it's time for a new one or a rebuild, it's been kinda "sluggish" lately and squeaks every so often :D
what?!?!? only 1 person liked my old engine.......well......poerrodsmike don't really count cause he isn't all there to begin with :D :welcome:

i don't care!! i still think my engine would've run all over ya'lls back in it's day :p

J

Attachments

#70 ·
Moderately warmed up 351 Lightning in a Lincoln

Basically stock shortblock, Ebrock heads, Explorer port matched to a GT40-351 lower, TF Stg 1 hydr roller w/Crane 1.72 roller rockers. Nice daily driver in an
89 Lincoln Mark VII LSC w/street stall, late 4R70W w/vb mods, 3:55's, Dynomax catback, Cobra wheels, etc etc.

Attachments

#72 ·
re: show pics of your engines boys

355sbc
Keith Black flattop pistons
L98 d-port heads full ported and polished
Comp Cam 292 magnum hydraulic flat tappet
Pete Jackson gear drive
Vertex magneto
Weiand stelth intake 750 Carter carb
Full manual th350
Hillborn injection rusting away on shelf :(

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.