Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - show pics of your engines boys!
View Single Post
Old 07-04-2006, 05:55 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by 66GMC
Hmmm...
I bought a TorkerII intake at a swap meet for my 454, and have been worrying about that "sluggish off the line" thing ever since.

I don't have the engine completely assembled yet, so I'm thinking that buying an "Air Gap" intake (which is a dual-plane) might be the way to go. It's supposed to be good for 1500 - 6500 ... whereas the Torker is 2500 - 6500.

I DO have a 2400 RPM Nitrous Holeshot converter ... so it MIGHT be OK ... but that goofy-looking cocked carb mount is causing me some stress as far as the Holley dual-inlet fuel line goes. It's positioned so that it won't clear a tall valve cover.

I'm thinking that the Torker is headed back to a swap meet.
The amusing thing with my combo is the surprising fact that the sluggishness HELPS me off the line as it is right now.
With the old heads/cam I had gobs of torque from idle on up, torque that was no good at all when I have 1900 kilograms of car to move and about 9 inches of rubber per side to move it - No matter how much I babied the car off the line the tires went all white n' smoky once the loud pedal came down all the way.

Now I just foot brake her up to 1200 or so (swap meet B&M converter, 2200 rpm stall my ***!) and nail the throttle. Without any kind of bottom pull in the motor she starts rolling (no sputtering at all after fiddling a bit with the carb) and after 20-30 feet or so she's in the powerband and pulling like a freight train, no tires spun more than needed.

I read afterwards in "High Performance" (great book btw) that Keith Black used this trick back in the day to improve traction in a slingshot he was having problems with.

Crude as hell, but it works until I can put some cash behind the motor :-)