Hot Rod Forum banner

show pics of your engines boys!

243K views 565 replies 305 participants last post by  adantessr 
#1 ·
im working on a 1970 355 supercharged 2 600's 4spd 4.11 posi gmc 1/2 ton stepside truck i got over 15k invested so far here's some pictures

Attachments

See less See more
#29 ·
Not quite as flashy as some of yours, but this is the first engine I built myself... and I mean built mySELF. The only thing I didn't do on this build was pin the pistons to the rods since they were press-fit. Otherwise every nut, bolt, and part choice I did myself from the valvesprings to the gaskets. Its a 60-over 454 with a comp cams XE262H cam (218/224), edelbrock intake, Mallory billet HEI, Hooker super comp coated headers, speed pro 8.7:1 pistons, and all the other normal goodies. It makes about 390hp (est) and one month after I built it, I drove it 8000 miles on a cross-country three-month trip and it never missed a lick. I had to tighten a water hose clamp and I replaced the alternator in Ohio, but 20,000 miles later its never given me anything but smiles... and 9 mpg :)

Its VERY "vanilla" in the grand scheme of things, but even though I've built some more exotic stuff since then, this was my first. My next project will probably be a high-boost Subaru STI boxer in the neighborhood of 450 hp for a 74 Maverick.

Pics of the 454:

#35 · (Edited)
383MontecarloSS said:
The Monte SS will be moving once again :thumbup:

LSx 408:

-Diamond pistons 10.5 compression [maybe lower]
-Arp head studs
-Ls2 timing chain
-Comp chrome moly pushrods
-Manley rods
-Eagle crank
-Callies billet mains
-Prs ls6 ported heads
-Patriot dual springs
-cam: 242 250 114
-Harlan sharp rockers
-FAST intake

....and much much more.

You're going to love that motor! I have almost 9k miles on one in my Camaro built pretty close to what you're doing:

-Eagle 4340 LS1 4.000 stroke crank
-SCAT LS1 6.125 long H-Beams w/ 7/16 ARP bolts
-Wiseco 8cc dish Pistons and Plasma Moly rings.
-FM 152M Race LS1 Main Bearings
-Clevite CB663H Race Rod Bearings
-ARP 234-5608 LS1 Main Studs
-ET Performance 5.3 heads
-LS6 Intake
-Cam is 244 248 612 615 on a 112+2
-SD Tune (Mafless)

Mine made 477rwhp/466rwtq and gets >21 mpg mixed > 25 hwy with 3:73's :thumbup: As soon as I get the fuel system reworked I'm going to see what it'll make on a little spray :D

Wanna' know how it might sound when you fire it up?
Cold Start Video

OOPs forgot to add a pic since it's a pic thread. This is with the old motor in place, but the new one looks the same except for the block color :D

#39 ·
home brew said:
ZipZ28 - Listened to your cold start up. Car sounds fantastic!! :thumbup: :thumbup: What are you using for an exhaust system?
It has a set of 1 3/4" longtube headers going into 3" duals with an X pipe, Here's a couple of pics of the system as it was being fabbed. The part of the exhaust that goes over the axles are 2 1/2" tubes, we expected that to be a restriction so we had flanges added to the back of the mufflers so I can bolt on a set of tundowns for the track. The mufflers are Magnaflow's, I don't remember the # offhand but if you want it I'll dig it up, they're 3" straight through to match the main exhaust :welcome:

Thanks for the compliment :thumbup:

Attachments

#41 ·
Hey jesse! that's the motor out of the new rx7, huh?

So thats what a rotary motor looks like.

hahahahahaahahahahahaha! wheres that picture of jesus?
:thumbup:
mikey

You gotta know by now that i'm just messin with you.

ere's a new saying I started using... and it's catchin on around here...***- What the FAQ!!!!!

hahahahahahahaha

#42 ·
lol. ya i know man, i couldn't go thru life w/o giving someone else a hard time occasionaly neither :D

ya thats the old rotary motor it just started to act sluggish one day and then it came to a stop and wouldn't move after that. i was like what the FAQ!! so i pulled the car home and i'm getting ready to pull it out

i'm putiing this one down in there next :D

Attachments

#43 ·
How about some before/after pics?

1.) Here is the 454 as it looked when I pulled it out of the donor truck.
2.) Long block at the machine shop.
3.) Painted with Endura (2K) paint. My very own brand of "Chevy Orange" that I made by mixing "about" 60% yellow / 40% red. (Might be tough to duplicate.) I had them assemble the engine with the stock tin for painting purposes, and was going to replace them with those M/T valve covers ... but I've changed my mind.
4.) TH-400 also painted with (a seperate batch) of Endura.

Stay tuned for updates... I'm waiting for $500.00 worth of shiny parts that I ordered from motorchrome.com

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.