Hot Rod Forum banner

show us you COE

25K views 37 replies 19 participants last post by  duncan_m 
#1 · (Edited)
show us your COE (Cab Over Engine)

I just discovered Knighthawk has one of these things and was wondering how many others were tucked away in Hot Rod land? I posted some picks of mine the other day on my Introduction thread. So I will start this thing off with the same pics. I have whittled mine down to garage size, Had thoughts of going car hauler supersize. But opted for the smaller parts runner, tow truck look. No parking problems now. :D

fresh out of the field

Frames built, motor and tranny in, Chopped channeled and the bed started.

addition of a pair of 39 ford rear fenders.

The truck now has running boards and looks pretty complete. I am building a visor out of a the front of a Beemer hood. Its going to look good I think. Then I have to tackle some type of grill. Any ideas? Ok now show me yours!

See less See more
#3 ·
mosstrooper said:
I wish I could show you mine, I like the COE trucks and can see you are doing a good job there.

Here are a couple I like.
Yea, Maybe I should of titled it "Show me your favorite COE" Out of all the rods Ive built over the years the COE by far has been the most fun and challenging. And there is something about that thing that people gravitate to. Maybe because its so ugly, or unique? Thanks for the pics, send more!

#4 ·
Here is my friend Byron's 48 ford COE.

A little different than most.

302 ford with a Tremec TKO 5 speed,(real trucks have 3 pedals), all the rest of the frame and running gear is stock, (other than being shortened 7 feet)
Check out page 13 of my photo album for a couple more pics.

It's a cool truck, it brings a smile to all who see it. :thumbup:

COE's are cool.

#7 ·
Metal Twister said:
Iam really suprised! only 3 coe's on this big of site? whats up with this? I was hoping to find some guys that I could bounce things off of. Oh well I know there are a lot of model A's out there. :D
You can only play big rooms, eh?

How many COE owners were you hoping to find? 50? 1000?

Later, mikey

#8 ·
Metal Twister said:
Iam really suprised! only 3 coe's on this big of site? whats up with this? I was hoping to find some guys that I could bounce things off of. Oh well I know there are a lot of model A's out there. :D
I would be disappointed too, and you are spot on about the Ford thing, which I can never understand either. It will be red or blue or a daring yellow, and have stupid flames

We might have to wait until the Rat Rod thing blows over.

#9 · (Edited)
powerrodsmike said:
You can only play big rooms, eh?

How many COE owners were you hoping to find? 50? 1000?

Later, mikey
YEH, 1000 or two? I know of about 50 in San Diego x's the world. Should be at least a couple thousand tucked around, dont you think? :D :welcome:And thanks for posting your buddys. That is what a truck is supposed to look like. Sweeeeet! :thumbup:

#12 · (Edited)
[We might have to wait until the Rat Rod thing blows over.[/QUOTE]

I hope the rat rod thing never dies!

Ive been in cars all my life and love em all shiny and bling, originals are pretty cool, and the rat rod to me is the purest form of rodding. Individual and unique. every one is built with a different flair. If you got the bucks cool, If you dont, cool. Its all about expression, and enjoying your hobbie. Ive been around so many of these things that ive really grown board with sparkel. The other cool thing about rat is that any make or year works. Saw a early Impala a few weeks ago and wow! Just my 2cents

#15 ·
Metal Twister said:
I hope the rat rod thing never dies!

Ive been in cars all my life and love em all shiny and bling, original is are pretty cool, and the rat rod to me is the purest form of rodding. Individual and unique. every one is built with a different flair. If you got the bucks cool, If you dont, cool. Its all about expression, and enjoying your hobbie. Ive been around so many of these things that ive really grown board with sparkel. The other cool thing about rat is that any make or year works. Saw a early Impala a few weeks ago and wow! Just my 2cents
WELL SAID! I concur.

#18 ·
"49 F-5 COE

I also like the '40's style truck, but this one was for sale for $700 and delivered to my barn door ! So I couldn't turn it down. It has the V-8 flathead, was run once about 10 years ago, otherwise, not licensed since '67 . I had to clean mud out of the carb, new starter switch and solenoid, runs like a million bucks!!!......... The V-8 maybe for sale someday, depending on what I do to it ,and when I get to it !

#19 ·
Metal Twister said:
Just got this pic of Knighthawk's, He was having a tough time getting it out of photobucket. Im sure he will be along soon to tell us about it. Looks very cool!
That is the perfect background for that truck. Looks like a Fathers day card cover. :D Mine had an AB motor in it, I traded it to the tow rig driver for hauling mine into town. In hind sight I should of paid and kept the engine. Oh well, how many of those kinds of things have I done over the years!
Yours is so complete, I dont know if I could ---well you know? Was 49 the first year of that body style? :thumbup:

#24 · (Edited)
I am bulding a 1950 gmc COE on a 1972 4x4 chevy frame

My first post, I am building a 4x4 gmc coe on a 1/2 ton 1972 4x4 frame. Started three weeks ago on the weekends with a restored frame, rebuilt 350 engine and th350 transmission. I took the cradel off the origninal coe frame and adapted it to the 72 frame. Took the power brake system out of a 1989 chevy ventura van (pedal and underdash components along with the power assist unit on the other side of the firewall. The tilt wheel came from the same van. The powersteering box is out of that 1970's international scout II.

I have fabricated a number of brakets and it is nearly ready to roll out of the garage now. Spent three weekends on it already. The frame was already done before I lost interest in putting the 1972 cab back on it. If it were not for craigs list I would have never thought of putting this big ugly looking cab on the truck. It actually has grown on me now and it looks pretty kewl. not cool but kewl!

I found this web site this morning before going to work and looked at many other pictures of what others are doing so I thought I would share my experience so far. I uploaded a few pictures of other coe trucks that caught my eye and led me to this project.

I call it therapy and my wife calls it a mental condition. There is a fine line between a hobby and insanity so she puts up with it. I run a financial planning firm in Seattle so it is a really big contradiction to her to see me in a suit one hour and in the torn up jeans and tee shirts the next....with a smile on my face. We just built a large new house with many garages of course...( she now regrets the "many" part of the that. :nono:

would like to know who belongs to these three trucks I up loaded if anyone knows. The dark grey one is the same truck over to different periods. The blue one is the idea for my bed on the the truck I am building. The yellow one has a gmc grill like mine. I have not seen a 4x4 version yet so I am in uncharged territory, which is just the way I like it. I love the idea of a bunch of welding equipment, a torch, lots of raw stock metal and no instructions.

Dallas in Seattle

Attachments

#25 ·
dallas2254 said:
"I call it therapy and my wife calls it a mental condition. There is a fine line between a hobby and insanity so whe puts up with it.

"I love the idea of a bunch of welding equipment, a torch, lots of raw stock metal and no instructions."

Dallas in Seattle
Welcome to Hotrodders.com

Yup your a real hot rodders most all of members are of the same breed. grease 1st ,other stuff later. :D

Welcome to the forum

:thumbup:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.