Quit your complaining about gas cost and change your driving habits! - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hotrodders' Lounge> Off-Topic
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-27-2012, 11:13 AM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanked 1,276 Times in 1,117 Posts
Quit your complaining about gas cost and change your driving habits!

Ok folks, instead of complaining about the rising fuel costs, change your driving habits to save fuel. I have mentioned it here before, I have changed my driving habits and saved 20% on my gas, 20%! Just with a very simple change in driving habits that resulted in virtually ZERO arrival time change. I did a two month long study and found a 20% improvement simply by doing the best I could to keep my foot off the gas and the brake. Yep, think about it. If you were to get in your car and drive to work without pushing on the gas pedal or the brake pedal you would get pretty good milage wouldn't you? Then why do we stay on the gas when we see a red light on the next block? Why do we take our foot off the gas and put it right on the brake without letting the car slow down naturally? I am not kidding folks, you can change your habits and save 20% (or way more for some of you) so don't complain, change your habits.

There are some folks on this site getting some CRAZY fuel economy out of their cars and trucks. http://ecomodder.com/

You don't have to do anything as crazy as they are to get BIG improvements. I am not kidding folks, in my study driving over the speed limit, braking at the last second after pulling my foot off the gas pedal all those things we do, I kept a log every day and my trip to work averaged out 20 seconds faster. You THINK because you got thru that stop light you are saving time, you have saved nothing because you will get stopped at another one that the car behind you didn't because they simply came to it at a different time after stopping at the one you got thru! I am MUCH more relaxed as I drive now, I KNOW it won't make a difference so I just cruz watching all the madness out in front of me. I leave 5-10 car spaces between me and the car in front of me. We are talking VERY simple habits to break and save your self BIG $$ on your gas bill.

Brian

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-27-2012, 06:48 PM

Last wiki edit: Ford axle ratio codes
Last journal entry: Rear Suspension
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 31

I just click the cruise on at 60 MPH and forget about it... 14-17 MPG depending on how cold it is out, and if the A/C is on or not. Defrost only turns the A/C on in my truck, so I have to remember to turn it to floor/ defrost after I get the window clear. I do downshift thru all the gears, and I don't skip gears going up... Beetle was never able to get better than 27 MPG no matter how I drove and it ran best on premium.. When I get the '51 Chevy on the road later this month, hopefully I'll squeeze 19 MPG out of it which is what was reported back when it was new. It will be my DD hopefully
Old 02-27-2012, 09:35 PM

Last photo:

It is a common misconception that the cruise is good for fuel economy, it ISN'T!

If you are on perfectly flat land with no winds, it isn't bad. But if you have any hills for instance it is BAD. In that case you want to build up speed on the flat land where it takes less energy (read that fuel) and then let OFF the gas as you go up the hill, then of course as you crest it, you coast down the other side.

Now, you usually can't do exactly that as drive. But the point is you try to, you try to do things like that and you get closer and better at perfection as you learn and you will be MUCH better than the cruise control.

On the down shifting, why? Why do you down shift? Unless you are racing thru a curvy mountain road there is no need to down shift, coast, you simply take your foot off the gas and gently put it back on as you pull away. And certainly as you come to a stop light or sign, you simply push the clutch in LONG before the stop and coast to a stop.

Go to Ecomodder.com and start studying it. It will blow you away at how much you don't know. I know I was, I was flat blown away at how much I THOUGHT I knew, and reality.

Brian
Old 02-27-2012, 10:16 PM

Last journal entry: Bad Rats anglia Build Journal plus bike and other photos
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 2

we have a 09 Prius it has 42K miles on it so far our best highway mileage is around 53-56 MPG depends on the direction the wind is blowing, the grade of the highway,( up hill or down hill) driving style
town driving is about 35-38 mpg And like Brian stated, the mileage you get all depands on your driving style,,
with a prius, you simply let the pressure off the brake,and the elec motor moves the car with out much throttle at all, they have pretty good aceleration, just not a tire scorcher ,,can't drive one like a hotrod,
Old 02-27-2012, 11:26 PM

Last photo:

I laugh when I see someone with all the bad driving habits like accelerating up to the stop light and stupid stuff like that in a Prius. I always say "Gee, you could be driving a 10 year old Honda for a lot less money if you wanted to use too much gas". It cracks me up when I am driving at the exact same speed as the traffic "mass" and some moron drives past me like a bat out of hell only to tailgate the car in the lane next to me that is 5 car lengths ahead of me going the exact same speed as everyone else! LOL amazing, just amazing.

Brian
Old 02-28-2012, 09:48 AM
put up or shut up

Last journal entry: saying goodbye to the beast
Last photo:

I got an OCC schwinn chopper bike that I plan to convert to a moped. Custom painting the tank and fenders. Turn heads and save on gas putting to work. sounds good to me.
Old 02-28-2012, 01:21 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Health and safety in the shop or garage
Last journal entry: 36 Ford painting
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

Quit your griping about gas prices? I don't think so. It still pisses me off when I spend 60 bucks to fill up my Tacoma, I drive as sane as possible but 40 bucks more a week is still 40 bucks a week. I am seriously thinking about not going to the March Meets, Oildale for dirt track racing, things I enjoy doing but the extra 30 bucks for unnecessary trips start to weigh on my play money. I was thinking of going to the Half Moon Bay car show also, it's out. People stay at home with their tv's, video games, all kinds of stuff you can do at home, it doesn't help the economy a bit. If the gas prices keep going up, you are going to see a lot more businesses going under, food prices and anything that has to be transported, it rolls across the board. Think about what you used to spend on groceries 2 years ago. We're getting screwed on meat prices, the price of corn has gone up, the feed bill for livestock has risen, all so we can reduce our dependence on oil. It ain't working. The cost of living is rising sharply every time this happens, ask someone on a fixed income how they are doing? COLA increases don't keep up.
Old 02-28-2012, 03:28 PM

Last photo:

Obviously Dan, we are not talking about changing the world (none of us can, not unless there is a Gandhi or MLK among us) but we can help ourselves personally with these high prices. And believe me, "sane driving" is for gas mileage what "insane driving" is for racing, just a broad idea but no details.

When I got into the hypermiling I thought I knew too, come on it's common sense. I learned fast over at ecomodders.com that I didn't know crap!

If you want to reduce your fuel usage check it out Dan, it will blow you away at how much fuel you waste.

Damn it, I want to see you at the Dream Machines in HMB!

Brian
Old 02-28-2012, 08:55 PM
put up or shut up

Last journal entry: saying goodbye to the beast
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinger
Quit your griping about gas prices? I don't think so. It still pisses me off when I spend 60 bucks to fill up my Tacoma, I drive as sane as possible but 40 bucks more a week is still 40 bucks a week. I am seriously thinking about not going to the March Meets, Oildale for dirt track racing, things I enjoy doing but the extra 30 bucks for unnecessary trips start to weigh on my play money. I was thinking of going to the Half Moon Bay car show also, it's out. People stay at home with their tv's, video games, all kinds of stuff you can do at home, it doesn't help the economy a bit. If the gas prices keep going up, you are going to see a lot more businesses going under, food prices and anything that has to be transported, it rolls across the board. Think about what you used to spend on groceries 2 years ago. We're getting screwed on meat prices, the price of corn has gone up, the feed bill for livestock has risen, all so we can reduce our dependence on oil. It ain't working. The cost of living is rising sharply every time this happens, ask someone on a fixed income how they are doing? COLA increases don't keep up.
you have a point.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=74Gp7...1eFAAAAAAAAAAA
Old 02-29-2012, 04:36 AM
SB S10

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinger
well said, the higher it goes the more we live outside our means. before its over we'll have to cancel the electric and light the candles.
Old 02-29-2012, 11:51 AM
my KARMA ran over my DOGMA

Last journal entry: SS
Last photo:

I agree that we can conserve and save by driving like granny. However there is a big looming issue that is about to have a huge impact on prices. Iran is playng games, Trump figures 7 dollars a gallon is not far off

http://www.moneynews.com/StreetTalk/...2/21/id/430010

Then the Obomba's canceled a big pipeline job from our nation to the USA. We have oil sands, millions of barrels, dirty or not we are going to sell it to the Chinese if the USA does not take it.
Old 02-29-2012, 02:13 PM
SB S10

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Custom10
I agree that we can conserve and save by driving like granny. However there is a big looming issue that is about to have a huge impact on prices. Iran is playng games, Trump figures 7 dollars a gallon is not far off

http://www.moneynews.com/StreetTalk/...2/21/id/430010

Then the Obomba's canceled a big pipeline job from our nation to the USA. We have oil sands, millions of barrels, dirty or not we are going to sell it to the Chinese if the USA does not take it.
it looks as if the people dont want it and are the reason it isnt getting done.
http://www.washingtonpost.com/local/...RtM_story.html
even if we did it does not mean the price will come down. they have been gouging it for over a decade. and that pipeline heads straight to the gulf where it can be shipped out for profit.

Last edited by runn141; 02-29-2012 at 02:24 PM.
Old 02-29-2012, 04:00 PM

Last journal entry: Bad Rats anglia Build Journal plus bike and other photos
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 2

These dumb A Z Z enviromentlists don't even realize that the paper they wipe their A Z Z's with comes from trees, they are protesting something constantly here in Oregon,, they have managed to get most of the forestery jobs shut down, whole communities that depend on the logging industry are struggling just to stay alive, can you imagine the fire hazards that result from no forestry management,
they don't give a rip about the damage they do to communities or people in those communities, just like the oil industry,, most of the retards here ride friggin bycicles, so why should they care about anyone else,, and the need for fuel..
Old 02-29-2012, 04:22 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Health and safety in the shop or garage
Last journal entry: 36 Ford painting
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad Rat
These dumb A Z Z enviromentlists don't even realize that the paper they wipe their A Z Z's with comes from trees, they are protesting something constantly here in Oregon,, they have managed to get most of the forestery jobs shut down, whole communities that depend on the logging industry are struggling just to stay alive, can you imagine the fire hazards that result from no forestry management,
they don't give a rip about the damage they do to communities or people in those communities, just like the oil industry,, most of the retards here ride friggin bycicles, so why should they care about anyone else,, and the need for fuel..
Bill, tell us how you really feel...
I agree. In most areas I know of, with the exception of Redwood type of trees, logging has had a positive influence. Nothing is wasted anymore, all has a use. People take a backseat to the folks that make the most noise. I see the Greenpeace people making some bad decisions at sea, it's a wonder some just don't...disappear! There are ways to regulate,and control, some of these guys are terrorists for a cause. 40 miles from here, Harris Ranch, these terrorists burned to the ground 14 transporters. http://www.negotiationisover.net/201...ga-california/

Man, we really went off topic...lol. Dan
Old 02-29-2012, 06:08 PM
gearheadslife

Last journal entry: The TwoTonShu #10
Last photo:

I have got 15% better mpg by dropping it into n going down a hill, the lock up converters do nothing to help mpg when you are coasting..
best I can get out of the 4.0 v6 ford is 15. as my to work drive is back roads, I could go the hyway but it goes from 25 miles to 36 miles if I take the highway, and because of the hours I work there is almost no traffic..
I set the cruise and go.. yes my foot would be better at saving fuel.. but the cruise lets the truck stay at that mph ,and let likely to get a ticket for speeding. towns are hard up for money.. 10 over is only a safe bet on a nasty rainy day, and even then.. you might not be lucky.. also the gaining speed before a hill is a great one, sadly the cops know this also.. and in one spot they have a speed trap right at the base of a hill.. sneakie b****sreds.
I wonder just how much mpg can be had with thinner tires.. seems todays cars the tires are wide, and that= more rolling resistance..

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.