Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Shringer disc.
Thread: Shringer disc.
View Single Post
Old 12-04-2012, 10:41 AM
put up or shut up

Last journal entry: saying goodbye to the beast
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

they can be troubling on hoods and decks due to the fact the skin is adherred to the shell. It can effect where the metal goes so light shrinks is ideal. If we're talking just looseness that needs to be tightened I like to hit the corners/edges with a dinging spoon to tighten up the arch first. It works pretty well. More than anything, a hood and deck as we all know usually provides an arch that provides stability to the big open area of metal between lines and edges, and this is what also makes them harder to deal with, besides the fact you got a huge shell clinging onto it. What I've realized it's best to cut away the skin from the shell before shrinking it, and to as always, do really good metal work before getting out the disk. Just be sure to distribute the heat in a broad area as opposed to putting too much heat in one area. Also, you might like to keep your disk clean with 40-180 grit paper by hand. Some people would be against it but I think the scratch 0f 40-80 grit makes it heat up faster and it's easy and fast to clean it up. Some people warn against sanding them clean but I don't think it's a big deal.