Shringer disc. - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-01-2012, 02:16 PM

Last journal entry: rust on lt body shell
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Shringer disc.

I've got a 62 chev that I'am doing a paint job on. Going to be bright red. The hood on both sides from the two center humps that run the lenght of the hood to the outer edge feel like a roller coaster.I know I have more metal than needed and somehow I need to shring it. I have never used a shringing disc but do you thing this would be a good use for it. I really hate to work it with heat and fill the hood from end to end.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-01-2012, 05:19 PM
HOT ROD...... FROM A CHRYSLER?

Last wiki edit: Metal shaping
Last journal entry: FLOOR BEADS
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 29

Its shrinking disc and yes it would be perfect. Going at a hood with heat could be fatal.
Old 12-01-2012, 06:52 PM

Last wiki edit: General Motors transmissions Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 27

shrinking disc.

If you haven't used a disc, get some dumpster body pieces from a body shop and practice. If you click on the search box without entering anything you will get the old search function, go to the bottom of the page and click on deep forum search, then do the search for shrinking disc and you will get several pages of old posts about using one.
Old 12-02-2012, 05:08 AM

Last photo:

sorry guy's I wish they hadn't removed the spell check from the site.
Old 12-04-2012, 09:41 AM
put up or shut up

Last journal entry: saying goodbye to the beast
Last photo:

they can be troubling on hoods and decks due to the fact the skin is adherred to the shell. It can effect where the metal goes so light shrinks is ideal. If we're talking just looseness that needs to be tightened I like to hit the corners/edges with a dinging spoon to tighten up the arch first. It works pretty well. More than anything, a hood and deck as we all know usually provides an arch that provides stability to the big open area of metal between lines and edges, and this is what also makes them harder to deal with, besides the fact you got a huge shell clinging onto it. What I've realized it's best to cut away the skin from the shell before shrinking it, and to as always, do really good metal work before getting out the disk. Just be sure to distribute the heat in a broad area as opposed to putting too much heat in one area. Also, you might like to keep your disk clean with 40-180 grit paper by hand. Some people would be against it but I think the scratch 0f 40-80 grit makes it heat up faster and it's easy and fast to clean it up. Some people warn against sanding them clean but I don't think it's a big deal.
Old 12-04-2012, 10:50 AM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:

Thanked 1,083 Times in 966 Posts
Very good points Henry, a wavy large panel is a lot more than just running a shrinking disc over it. I haven't a bunch of experience with the shrinking disc, I have one, have done some pretty amazing things with it, I am VERY impressed with what you can do. But I would be VERY cautious about running it over a hood.

There are so many things that could be at play here as you pointed out so well.

swvalcon, here is a "Basics of Basics" on large flat panels, there are a number of other things to think about before hitting it with heat as Henry points out, check it out. Large Panel Repair - Autobodystore

Not saying that anyone is wrong, Pugsy knows more about metal fabbing I could dream of. But just from a repairers point of view, with average skills, that is how I am seeing it. Read the basics and there may be something there for you as well.

Brian
Old 12-04-2012, 11:06 AM
put up or shut up

Last photo:

yeah, for waves and stuff it's not really good, especially if it's adherred to the skin. Everyone knows hoods especially are hard to shrink with excessive heat in localized areas and the problems venture outwards til you're scratching your head and the entire hood has gotten shrunk, so this means a shrinking disk is definitely the tool you want to use but you mainly only want to use it for tightening up the panel, in which you're better off using the disk in the corners to tighten the overall flex of it but to also use it in the traditional aspect of "metal work" shrinking(not solely just flex of it) more along tighter areas where the metal is tighter and easier to work with. The more you venture towards the middle of the arch the better the metal work has to be in order to not get adverse affects. It's my opinion that the disk is best useful when using shot bags and planishing hammers or something equal to it but for hoods to go light and kind of keep it close to tighter areas and more careful in looser open areas. For quarters and tighter areas they are much more forgiving for the user.

one last thing, the disk is at its best when you have easy access to both sides of the panel so you can break out the bean bags and mallets
planishing hammer or equal to. without that it's much more difficult to get the results needed to truly get any value out of it, and so with that said,
I find it easiest to use it sparingly on hoods/decks cause it can reek havoc on hoods that aren't fully worked.

Last edited by tech69; 12-04-2012 at 11:17 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to tech69 For This Useful Post:
John long (12-06-2012)
Old 12-05-2012, 05:03 AM

In the event you go through the search box without entering anything you'll get the aged search purpose, go towards the bottom in the page and select deep forum search, then complete the hunt for shrinking disc and you will get numerous pages regarding.
Old 12-05-2012, 07:15 AM

Last photo:

I just went ahead and did some hammer and dollie work on it and put a thin coat of mud end to end. If it dosen't hold up he'll have to find a new hood. He sand blasted it and thats what ruined the hood. Any where he hit the underside of the skin it pulled the skin down and made the top panel waves.
Old 12-05-2012, 07:51 AM

Last photo:

Yep, frigging sand blasting, this is why I warn people about it, it can REALLY do some damage.

Brian
Old 12-05-2012, 09:55 AM
put up or shut up

Last photo:

those are the worst and hardest to detect. In other words, the small areas that are adhered to the shell still give it the arch it needs but what surrounds sags. Those are absolutely the hardest to deal with and are a headache.

We just had a new year one hood and it looked great coming out of the box. It was exactly what you are describing but new, if you can believe that. It got mud almost covering the entire surface and primed twice....keep in mind this was a brand new hood.
Old 12-05-2012, 11:25 AM

Last photo:

A new AM hood at the shop for my bosses Chevelle.

Brian

The Following User Says Thank You to MARTINSR For This Useful Post:
tech69 (12-05-2012)
Old 12-05-2012, 12:05 PM
put up or shut up

Last photo:

if only customers knew what it "really" means to use aftermarket parts on a hotrod.
Old 12-06-2012, 06:33 AM

Last wiki edit: Stripping paint Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 11

LOL,customer says...... I got a brand new front end on my 69 camaro ....IT'LL BE EZ TO PAINT....HOW MUCH.....HUH,1500.00 ??????
dont do any bodywork just paint it...
Body shop....bring me the pieces and I'll paint it for 300.00
Customer....Sounds like a deal
two weeks later......customer says.... hey remember me ? you painted my camaro nose, well can you get it bolted on and painted again?????
WHAT!!!!!! 3,000.00 but you said 1,500.00 before I screwed it all up......
Old 12-06-2012, 12:57 PM
put up or shut up

Last photo:

tell him next time his only job is to put in the rubber stops for you. I think that's right up his alley. man, I feel sorry for those type of guys. They're just doing what any of us would try in saving money. Just got a little too balsy for his own good.

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.