Hot Rod Forum banner

Shrinking Disc Help, Please

1K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  milo 
#1 ·
Hi all,

I'm doing quarter panel replacements on my '47 Ford and finally got a chance to use my shrinking disc, but I'm not sure I'm doing it right. After welding in the new panel, there is an outward "bump" along the top horizontal seam where the two panels were butted tight. I ran the disc along the seam several times but I'm not seeing any change. Am I asking too much? I've hit the seam and the areas about 2" - 3" on either side of it until the seam (high spot) turns blue...

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
Did you stretch the weld and the area that turned blue next to the weld and then smooth with a hammer and dolly after welding? The weld shrinks, so the disc is used later after the panel is smooth but high!

If the metal is turning blue with the shrinking disc, you have gone to far. It is only necessary to have the metal steam when it is quenched after using the disc.

It sounds like you might be expecting the disc to do what your hammer and dolly should be doing.

Let me know if this is not clear.

John www.ghiaspecialties.com

#3 ·
John Kelly said:
Did you stretch the weld and the area that turned blue next to the weld and then smooth with a hammer and dolly after welding? The weld shrinks, so the disc is used later after the panel is smooth but high!
No, I guess not. I just butted the panel, tack-welded every 2 inches and welded it in (skipping around). I wouldn't know how to (properly) hammer a weld...

If the metal is turning blue with the shrinking disc, you have gone to far. It is only necessary to have the metal steam when it is quenched after using the disc.
Oooh, magic word! "quenched" I wasn't aware that I was to quench the area after, I thought I was to let it air cool. Am I to use a wet rag?

It sounds like you might be expecting the disc to do what your hammer and dolly should be doing.

Let me know if this is not clear.

John www.ghiaspecialties.com
FYI: I went back after allowing everything to cool down and it had indeed made a difference. I'll do the quench and wait a little longer...

Thanks!

Russ

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.