side mirrors - need to make rubber gasket/grommets - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-05-2005, 02:34 AM
Socket Breaker

Last journal entry: My website for my '65 chevy c10 lwb step
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

side mirrors - need to make rubber gasket/grommets

side mirrors - need to make rubber gasket/grommets

Hiya folks.

I have these mirrors here:

The painted white ones on the right side(the shiny ones are fomoco)... for my '65 chevy truck.

----

So, I want to mount up my side mirrors, but I bought these mirrors used, as they are '64-'66 vintage OEM chevy parts... so no rubber gaskets to fit between the mounting arms and the body of the door.

I am looking basically for a printer paper sized sheet of rubber to cut my own gaskets(for lack of a better term). When I was a kid this was a common thing... I found the cork and paper(for using with fuel systems) gaskets, but so far no joy on the rubber.

I went around to some parts stores today and the parts people looked at me and said: yeah, that seems like something you could get in a parts store, but I don't know of anything we have.

I'm thinking maybe they have it, or they can get it, they just do not know exactly what to call it.

So, if anyone has any information they can share.. parts numbers, names of brands, name of product, whatever, I'd appreciate it.

I'm also going to try the local hardware store, we have a pretty good one, maybe they have something I can use.

Thanks,

-W

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-05-2005, 03:38 AM
point on positive

Last photo:

Bicycle inner tube...
Longs...
$ 3
Old 11-05-2005, 06:28 AM

Last photo:

we've got an 84 ford 1 ton we use around the farm....last year we pick'd up some of those mirrors and ran into the same problem

hubby went to wal-mart, bought the cheapest black floor mats he could find, traced the mirror base, whittled them out with an exacto knife and job well done
Old 11-05-2005, 07:45 AM
Problem Child,Hard Case

Last journal entry: Strangest job I've ever done
Last photo:

Most auto part stores should have small roll's or sheet gasket material that you make your own with.

I've used inertube before but it's really too soft and squish's out the edge's.

Go to the houseware's section and look for some place mats for the dinner table. Or the Art & Craft area. You'll be amazed at what all you can find there.
Especally BABE'S!!
Old 11-06-2005, 09:07 PM
Socket Breaker

Last journal entry: My website for my '65 chevy c10 lwb step
Last photo:

Thanks to everyone for the ideas.

Bee4me,
I went to the parts store, the local Advance were too busy bickering with each other and the local NAPA guys looked at me and said: yeah, you'd think you could get something like that at a parts store...
I found the cork roll sheets, like you would use for valve cover gaskets and the thinner paper type roll sheets for fuel system uses, but no rubber ones.
I'll try again and check out some of the ideas I've read here and in other places.

Thanks again,

-W
Old 11-07-2005, 05:40 AM

Last photo:

Rubber will probably be too soft and will squish. Use some black plastic. Lawn edging, place matts, coffee can lids, various containers, auto parts-splash shields. Use some good sealer on the fasteners and also under the gasket.
Old 11-07-2005, 09:54 AM

Go to the hardware store (Ace, Lowe's, etc.) and look for their rubber gasket material sold in bulk rolls. It's available in several thicknesses, so one should be what you're looking for.
Old 11-07-2005, 07:50 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by baddbob
Rubber will probably be too soft and will squish.
And that's the exact reason you should use rubber, not plastic. It creates a seal between the object, in this case a mirror base and the body of the vehicle, preventing water from getting underneath, which potentially causes rust on the body and the mounting screws.

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.