Hot Rod Forum banner

side window channels ford 34 coupe

13K views 18 replies 3 participants last post by  scaryeyes 
#1 ·
Hi
Im new to this with bodywork. ive come this far in my build, that I bought a power window kit. Now I need channels for the glass and all that stuff. How do I mount the channels?
This is a 34 3 window coupe, and the fiber glass body is just a shell.
Should the channels be mounted in the outer doorskins? I believe so. And then I have to glue the skin to the inner skin first.
I really would like some photos if anyone have

See less See more
This post has been deleted
#4 ·
On mine I got some window channel, went down to the steel supply got some channel that the felt channel fit in andIgot two pieces that would make one lope.

Now you must remember the felt channel for power windows is not the same as crank ups. I believe it is a little bigger. anyhow I took and put a couple of rivets to hold it in at the top. works good.

When you put in the steel channel you will have to put pie cuts in it for the corners. The felt channel you don't need the pie cuts.

You can get the felt channel in different sizes depending on your glass thickness. all that will have to be known before you get the steel channel.

Bob

#5 ·
Well. They dont have anything. They took over the molds from a small company that made casting from an old rust bucket in the 80's. Most builders back then used parts from old cars in the junk yard.
But this thread made thinkin again and gave me som ideas.
But still i would like photos.
The 34 is not that common here as the deuce 5 window.
Maybe i can use some ideas from them.....

#16 ·
Thanks

I went to the glass man and got a piece of glass. thats a lot easier, even though it was a bit expensive. almost 50 dollars for a working piece. But the real hardened glass are not more than a few dollars expensiver than that.

Things are falling into place, but real slowly. One thing here. These original style channels are very deep. And I dint need to fasten them inside the u-channer I made. They are fixed already. But the upper channel. Im thinkin of an aluminium profile. I Bent a 4mm sheet, 2 inch wide at the same profile as the inner skin. So if im bolting that from the outside of the door frame and then screw the channel in from the inside like you advised me. There is an original channel in steel doors where the rubbel channel goes. Maybe its glued in there originally?
I found some clips on the back of the channels. (see Bob Drake channels) But cant make anything out of them. Even all the small rubber parts. I believe they should be going at the end of the steel channels some how.
Im not using any of that.
I now came that far in construction work, that I can roll up and down the glass with the outer skin screwed on. (soon to be glued and glassed on)
But the scraping strips.... I still cant come up with a solution. Do any of you have a strip at goes around the window, or just in the bottom? Were do you end it in that way?

#19 ·
Yea! But I never saw any volvo as a hot rod. But I really like this one. Is it 3800 engine? I had once a volvo PV from -61 once. It rusted away damn fast.

Heres a bad pic from outside my garage. My friends amazon race car.
Turbo straight 4. been out on 3 events this year and now he is down to 5.20/ 1/8 mile. Before the summer is over we believe hes down to high 4s
Home ported 16 valve head and standard cement filled block.
Almost 1000 hp on 2.9 bar boost!
But we are trying to convince him that the 3800 engine is the way to go.
His class is called "4 to 6".

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.