Hot Rod Forum banner

Siezed up rebuilt cleavland

1K views 9 replies 5 participants last post by  Mr. P-Body 
#1 · (Edited)
I put a rebiult 351c in my mach1,,after the install it sat for a few months over the winter. I finally got time and put it together..got the battery in..turned the key..click,,click,,nothin. Anyhow i put a socket on the front of the crank,,and it wont budge. The moter was never run..but turned over fine when i put it in..{bolting flywheel to torque converter}\ I spent big bucks on this moter..now i just want to sit in the corner of garage with a 40 0z and cry,,,I removed plugs and sprayed in realese-all and wd40...not sure what else to do..could use some advice...thanks.:(

#4 ·
One way to move it ever so "slightly" is to put a pry bar between the ring gear and block, and "pry" it about one "tooth". If it moves without massive resistance, you should be okay. Remove all the spark plugs, re-prime the oil system and try the starter again. If it resists, then "pops" free, you have fretting corrosion from the rings to the walls. It will have to come out, be re-honed and new rings.

Best of luck.

Jim

#6 ·
Oppsy daisy*

WEll boys i got er now...This is embar-assing to say the least. I crawled under the car to inspect the flywheel..low and behold..the torque converter wasnt even bolted up..the bolts welded to the converter were half way in between the flywheel..no where even close to the holes..so they bound up against it..i cracked the tranny loose..spun the torque..lined up holes..and actully put nuts on em this time..wala!! turned key..motor spins out like the wife on a friday night..awsome help guys..checkin the flywheel really panned out for me. I thought i had done that..but i guess when i was bolting moter up i should have left the budwieser in the fridge...thanks again.

#8 ·
It might not hurt to place a little engine oil in the cylinders before you put the plugs in and turn the engine over by hand after you've oil primed the system as that way there will be better lubrication on the cylinder walls as soon as the engine fires. Not to say that it will be an issue but penetrating oils are very thin and wouldn't be as good as a nice thin coating of engine oil on the cylinders. Then leave the engine sit for a bit to allow the excess oil to slip by the rings before you try firing it up for the first time.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.