Sig Erson cams still around? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-04-2005, 10:47 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Sig Erson cams still around?

Does anyone know if they're still around? I'm having trouble choosing a cam for my 327 since a tech question in the latest Car Craft shot down my idea for a 268H, saying that they didn't work well with a 327.

I asked my dad what he thought, and he recalled a 67 Chevelle that ran very strong at the time (13 flat), so I figure that would be plenty for my Vega... as far as the weight difference at least .

So does anyone know if they're still around, or where I can hopefully find their specs? My dad says that his Sig Erson cam was specific for the 327, and I would at least like to know the specs. He even remembers the name for the line of cam (which I can get later, he's at work). Thx in advance, Josh.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-04-2005, 10:56 PM

Last photo:

Found it. They don't go by "Sig Erson Cams"... it's now just "Erson Cams".
Old 11-05-2005, 12:14 AM
How fast is fast enough?

Last photo:

I got my cam custom ground from them for $130 - very reasonable.
Old 11-05-2005, 03:40 PM

Last photo:

one of the most successful cams I ever put in a sbc. I believe it was the high rev 2 grind, but that was 30 years ago. I am sure there are comparable products nowadays, as I have not been able to readily find these grinds in Canada. My buddy is using the xe274 in his 327 with 64cc heads and 11:1 dometops. nice motor. It rips with a 780 vac sec and a TH350.
Old 11-05-2005, 04:53 PM

Two Of The Best Cams I've Ever Used Were Erson's. One-A Well Worn TQ-20 I Put In A .030 Over 307 With 76cc Heads. This Engine Couldn't Have Had More Than 8:1 Comp If It Had That Much. And It Freakin' Screamed! The Second Is A Hi-Flow 1H. It Is In A .040 Over 350 With Flattops And 76cc Heads. It Has A Stock Cast Iron Q-Jet Intake, Accel Blueprint HEI, Regular Headers, 2 1/2" Pipes With Two Chamber Flowmasters. Nothin Fancy Or Out Of The Ordinary! Since '96 When I Built It It Has Revved High Enough To Float The Stock Fuel Pump Pushrod Whenever I Want. Yet The Truck ('77 C-10 With Close Ratio 4-Speed And 3.07 Gears) Is Surprisingly Tractable For Something With A Healthy Lope. The One Time I Drove It Right I Went From Ft Walton FL To Destin FL Back To Ft Walton FL Then On To Blountstown FL. In Blountstown I Filled Up. Could Not Get More Than 6 Gallons In The Tank. Dude At The Gas Station Figured The Mileage Cause He Made That Trip A Lot And Knew Exactly How Many Miles It Was. Mileage? 23! It Ain't Half Bad Outta The Hole And Will Scream On Top End. Used The Exact Same Cam In A Balanced 305 With Some Maxxed Out 601's In A Monza. You Wouldn't Even Believe What That Car Would Do! It Would Appear Erson Has Some Capable Engineers, Indeed!!!! MD
Old 11-06-2005, 11:55 AM
Save a horse, Ride a Cowboy.

Last photo:

Every company has new lobe technology today. Avoid the ancient grinds.

If you want a healthy lope and good revability, tighten those lobe centers. Erson was famous for that.

CC shooting down the 268H for you has more to do with overcamming.... (We used it as a healthy circle track hobby stock cam in a 355/406)
Changing brands won't allow you to overcam and get away with it.

It never ceases to amaze me how so many people that seem to have home computers won't punch something into Google and look BEFORE they jump on a forum.....
Erson changed when their owner "Super Shops" went bankrupt.

just thinking out loud.
Old 11-06-2005, 02:29 PM
Mark Goulette

erson cams

you can contact erson cams by going to the mr. gasket website. they are a "division" of mr. gasket now. i've always had good luck with erson cams. they are the only ones i use in all my motors (custom grinds). they have consistantly outpowered cams ground for the same application by the "other" guys, but keep in mind, these are custom ground cams. shelf cams i'm not as familiar with. even john force runs them in his car..........just one thing to warn you of though, at least for the roller cams they make, is that they are VERY AGGRESSIVE. valve spring selection becomes very critical, and check your springs often. for street applications, you should be fine. i just don't build many street engines, so that's why my lack of knowledge on the shelf cams...................
Old 11-09-2005, 10:17 AM

Last photo:

ratlover just to let you know that i got my erson cam from Canadian tire, but make sure you know what you want before going in there because so of the parts people don't know a thing about cams. check out there website to find the info on the different grinds

John
Old 04-29-2009, 12:19 PM

Sig Erson

If anyone is interested, Sig's daughter Barbara just emailed me and said that Sig is very ill and is in pretty bad shape. Sig has been retired and living in Florida for years now. I hope you all join me in wishing he and his family well and keep him in our thoughts and prayers.
Old 04-29-2009, 06:05 PM

PBM own Erson Cams now.

http://www.pbmperformance.com/splash.php

Last edited by racecar100; 04-29-2009 at 06:20 PM.
Old 04-29-2009, 06:31 PM

Last photo:

327 Cam

This is a great cam for a 327 ground on a 108 lobe center,Check out the www.crower.com and check out this part# 00210 278HDP give their tech dept a call and see what they advise.
Old 04-29-2009, 07:22 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5window coupe
If anyone is interested, Sig's daughter Barbara just emailed me and said that Sig is very ill and is in pretty bad shape. Sig has been retired and living in Florida for years now. I hope you all join me in wishing he and his family well and keep him in our thoughts and prayers.
I'm sorry to hear that, but not surprised, so may of the guys that built the age of hot rodding after WW II and beyond have been lost to us.

Bogie
Old 04-29-2009, 07:43 PM

Lou Baney..

and my dad were good friends back in the day. They built roasters together for many celebrities and people who wanted custom builds.
My dad went his own way as a building contractor and did well for himself.
Lou stayed active in the sport and even helped start SEMA.
I remember meeting Lou for the first time at Lions when I was about 5.
He was had been building record breaking cars for McEwen and Prudhomme,
(Long before the Hot Wheels Funny Cars came out) But I do remember when I was older, we would go to lions and see Lou working on both of the Mattel funny cars. (Mongoose & Snake)

Years later I became aquainted with famous custom car builder George Barris. George told me about the first SEMA show in Anaheim. He told me he knew Lou Baney and they were only 2, of 4 people with booths at the frist SEMA show. (Only 4 booths???) My, how things have changed. Last time I went to SEMA it was in 3 different buildings and you had to take a bus to get to one that was too far away. Geeze!

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldbogie
I'm sorry to hear that, but not surprised, so may of the guys that built the age of hot rodding after WW II and beyond have been lost to us.

Bogie

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.