Signs OF Bent Pushrod Or broken valve Springs - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-24-2010, 01:05 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

Signs OF Bent Pushrod Or broken valve Springs

hey guys i need to know if you can help me diagnose the sounds of (if any at all) on how i would know if i broke a valve spring or bent a pushrod all i can tell you is its a 79 400 sb chevy 100 percent stock no peformance what so ever and after the snow it started knocking like crazy u can hear it clattering all around the truck and idk what is wrong and when your driving it you can hear something clattering but it only happens when its ideling or when u hit a certain rpm and if you give it a little bit of gas when your cruisin around please help me anyway possible thanx

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-24-2010, 01:12 AM
WFO

Last wiki edit: Intake manifold
Last journal entry: 1980 Malibu Wagon
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1616

Quote:
Originally Posted by 81scottsdale400
hey guys i need to know if you can help me diagnose the sounds of (if any at all) on how i would know if i broke a valve spring or bent a pushrod all i can tell you is its a 79 400 sb chevy 100 percent stock no peformance what so ever and after the snow it started knocking like crazy u can hear it clattering all around the truck and idk what is wrong and when your driving it you can hear something clattering but it only happens when its ideling or when u hit a certain rpm and if you give it a little bit of gas when your cruisin around please help me anyway possible thanx
The easiest way to "see" a bad spring or valve in general w/o removing the v-cover, is to use a vacuum gage. If the needle oscillates in time w/the miss or noise, that's an indication that it's valve related.

But, it sounds like you may have a bearing going bad. If you have an oil pressure gage, keep a close eye on it for lower than normal pressure- but the best thing is to stop driving it yesterday and properly diagnose the problem before the engine is trashed.

A length of fuel hose held to your ear or a mechanic's stethoscope can help to isolate where the noise is coming from.
Old 03-24-2010, 04:50 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

thanks cobalt but the hardest part is ive used the stethescope and cant hit the noise anywhere cuz its so loud and its not on either side of the block its all around and idk what to do other than pulling the block and ripping it down

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.