Hot Rod Forum banner

silver candy

8K views 18 replies 9 participants last post by  mitmaks 
#1 ·
anyone have pictures of silver candy painted cars

#6 ·
mitmaks said:
well candy gives color special effect, deep look or something like that, it looks way better than regular color or any metallic

That's true but the candy coat is clear with a toner added for a transparent color over silver, gold, or pearl. I still think a clear 'candy' is just a metallic silver paint job! :confused:
That's true but a real candy coat is clear with a colored toner (got it's name from using a red toner in the first one giving a candied apple look) over a silver, gold, or pearl base. I still think clear 'candy' is just a silver paint job! :confused:

#8 ·
Candy(Kandy) is basically a concentrated dye mixed with an inter coat clear or a base paint binder for it's "transport fluid" to apply a colored layer(s) over a metallic base color. The metallic give's it the sparkle and depth making the color pop. Otherwise, it's just a transparent color coating.
Like painting with water color's when in school.If you just wet the brush and rub it in the paint lightly,you get a light shading of the actual color when you stroke the brush.It builds gradually and you keep applying consecutive coats to get the desired depth of color. Now you can richen up the concentrate and apply it at a deeper color,but you can easly over do it and have it too dark after just a few coats.
There is no "Silver" kandy so to speak. Kandy's all have some kind of color to them. That's their purpose in life is to add a vibrant color tone that has a transparent effect to it that is capable of being shaded in to the desired color and depth.
I guess Kosmoski saw a Candy apple at the fair and thought Hummmm????.

#10 ·
When I paint candy colored graphics this is how it goes.
I paint the recommended base first, it's usually silver , gold, or white.
The candy color will have one specified. This base is only for
reflecting up through the candy paint.
Next I spray the candy color, it's a clear with a color that's translucent.
You can see through it. I keep adding coats of candy untill I get the
color or effect I'm after. Usually by this time, several coats later, you
really can't hardly tell the base is there. But it is and it affects the look.
Once the color is what I want I clear over it with a urethane just like a
regular base coat paint job.
It's really that simple. Now on large areas like a car you have to be consistent
on the color coats so it all matches, every coat you add will change the
color a little. That's the challenge.

#11 · (Edited)
Due to the fact that you have to put several coats of kandy to achieve the desired coverage using a urethane (regular) type clear coat is out of the question. The build would be so thick it would cause major issues with curing out.The urethane clear is done after all Kandy paint/graghic's are finished as the final clear would be applied on a bc/cc job.
An inter coat clear is designed for kandy's & pearl's specifically as it's thin like base paint and stacking many coats with proper flash is fine.
A base paint binder is about the same deal as it's the "base" for paint with no pigment and the concentrate is added to it then reduced like base paint to spray.

#12 ·
67goat said:
i just painted a 67 camaro hok orion silver base coat, extremely glamorous, i will post some pics very soon, mike
i painted a couple cars in orion silver. an 87 porche 911 and i just finished a 95 civic. the 911 was done in the coarse grain silver. looked great indoors but outside in the sun it was a little too much for that type of car. a little too old school sparkle (bling bling) but the owner liked it. with the civic i went with the fine orion and it came out awesome. definately more slick. for bikes and under candy i always use the coarse stuff.

bee and the other guys are right. there is no silver candy. candy just refers to transparent color rather then opaque. some are in basecoat form, some in urethane and some are just straight dye to mix into what you want. a red candy dye over silver would look like a real deep metallic red. i attached a pic of a harley fender i did a while back. this is silver base and the airbrush is done in white and black. the candy red is put over everything making it all shades of red. you can see its completely transparent. almost like wrapping it with red window tint.

Attachments

#14 ·
I need to mention that candy colors are notoriously hard to match! You can forget about any kind of normal blend procedure and go ahead and "butt" or panel match it, adding coats of ever more reduced candy to the panel until the match looks good under bright light. Big pain in the ***!

That's why I don't recommend them. There are many factory colors that approach a "candy" look, and most people are happy to know that they have a beautiful vehicle that can also be easily repaired.

#15 ·
mitmaks said:
anyone have parts/cars pics of candy done in silver then? my charger was originally silver and i wanna see how I can get it to look even better when ill paint it. I need some ideas
There are a lot of really nice silvers on some of the newer cars. The reflection and brightness is way nicer than the original singlestage laquer silver that came on your car from the factory. Look around and you'll find a silver you like. Both domestic and imported cars have many to choose from. If the car needs to be a correct restoration you'll need to go with the original color, if not just pick one you like.

#18 ·
mitmaks said:
actually my R/T wasnt some chevy, and they didnt use lacquer on mopars at that time, mine was originally buffed silver metallic, so I gues i could paint it original color and then clear with candy in silver color?

Yeah, definately not a chevy, I think you should paint it the original silver than add just a small amount of violet candy to get that plum crazy look which would suit you and your mopar. Maybe call House Of Kolor and ask them for a silver candy suggestion.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.