Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - silver metalic problem
View Single Post
Old 02-01-2006, 05:38 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by yeepman2
I'm sorry i'm a little confused.Are you saying to mix 2 to 1 and then 25 to 50 percent more reducer?I agree that a wide fan would help but with my fan wide open I only get about 5 inches,do you think the 1.4 tip is too small?
A five inch pattern just ain't ging to cut it on a silver metalic, how did you do the drop coat? I usually get enough material on to achieve full coverage, then apply one more coat and imediately go back with a drop coat. Hold the gun back about 12 inches and move it fast or dial the air pressure and fluid down so not much material is coming out, if done correctly the thin and evenly sprayed drop coat will melt into the previous coat and when it flashes off will be as smooth as a regular medium wet coat. If you do the drop coat wrong or are using a reducer that is too fast the drop coat will be more like overspray, have texture, and could lead to adhesion problems if it didn't merge with the previous coat. Add more reducer or mix in some intercoat clear during the drop coat if you've got a really tough color to thin it down for a more even application. Hope this made sense. Bob