Silver paint! - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-12-2005, 11:04 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

Silver paint!

Hello, I am new here. I'm working on customizing a bike from the frame up and this is my first project. My Dad and I have been involved with hot rods since I was a child and I know if you want questions answered.... the hot rod guys are the ones to ask!

So here's my question:

Silver Paint! I am looking to paint the whole bike, frame and all, in bright silver with light metallic grey ghost flames interweaved with blue flames.

What is the best kind of paint to use?
Anyone know of a really nice bright silver?

I guess I have a few other questions too!
I noticed on some of the customizing shows, the painter puts on a coat of what looks like bondo all over the bigger parts to be painted. I'm thinking this is to take care of any ripples in the metal (filler). What is this?

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-12-2005, 11:21 AM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:

Thanked 1,078 Times in 961 Posts
On the color, I have always just made a silver using the brightest flake on the mixing bank. The paint store should be able to do this for you. Most silvers have a lot of other toners in them and really aren't very bright when compared to a "pure" silver. You can also put a flatener toner to make the flake lay out nice and sparkle more.

NOTE: You guys who match color all day, if you havn't discovered this flatener is the "Holy Grail" of color matching. You can lighten a metallic color without adding flop or making it "silvery".

On the body work, polyester primer could be what you are seeing. It is literally like spreading filler on it. A few coats will bury a quarter!

Brian
Old 07-12-2005, 11:32 AM

Ok... so is there a better primer to use for silver? Maybe white instead of grey?

I've been noticing really a really nice color of silver on Pontiacs lately.... I like the look but just isn't bright enough.

The bike is full of chrome and I am wrapping all the wiring and cables in a metallic blue. So you can kind of see what I'm going after.

Thanks a lot for the reply and bingo on the "filler..... I'm sure that’s what I'm talking about.
Old 07-12-2005, 01:49 PM

I Think The Best Way To Go Is Hok Orion Silver,and Youll Find It To Be Cheaper Than Your Dupont Chroma Or Any Other High End Brand, You Can Get It For About 35.00 A Quart, Be Sure To Use There Reducer , Its Fairly Reasonable Also About 12.00 A Quart, I Think It Is Bc-02 Orion Silver Shimrin, Hope This Helps, Mike.
Old 07-12-2005, 01:52 PM

Yes thanks... I'm gonna check all these out.
Old 07-12-2005, 01:55 PM
Just one of the guys

Last journal entry: Garage Toys
Last photo:

Martin....what Tabooda is talking about is not polyester primer. It is a green bondo they spread out all over but it looks to sand very easily. It's not sprayed on. Most of the rides on Monster Garage get it done to them before painting or at least the ones that they show they paint.

Kevin
Old 07-12-2005, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin45
Martin....what Tabooda is talking about is not polyester primer. It is a green bondo they spread out all over but it looks to sand very easily. It's not sprayed on. Most of the rides on Monster Garage get it done to them before painting or at least the ones that they show they paint.

Kevin
Yes.... I've seen it in other colors but it does seem very easy to sand.

They pretty much apply it with a straight edge all over the piece then sand it.

I had a dent in the tank I fixed to a point with the "dent king" (LOL... I laugh but it worked) but the dent is still somewhat visible. (it had a small crease)
I would like to do most of the body parts (tank, side covers and fenders) in this "putty" just to make sure I get a nice even look to the paint job.
Old 07-12-2005, 02:35 PM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:

Thanked 1,078 Times in 961 Posts
"Green" filler is a particular brand......I forget the name......crap. Anyway, a polyester putty would be easy to sand. The filler is easy too if you don't let it cure too hard.

I have to tell you, to get an over all "wavy" part perfect, polyester primer is a great way to go. ESPECIALLY when it has a lot of complex shapes like bike parts.

Brian

Last edited by MARTINSR; 07-12-2005 at 02:42 PM.
Old 07-12-2005, 02:57 PM
Problem Child,Hard Case

Last journal entry: Strangest job I've ever done
Last photo:

It's Rage or simular lightweight filler. Smaller parts,their using the glazes for minor filling.

Might check into HOK's Diamond series coatings. These make the metallic's really pop. If your looking for a real sparkle. Might consider some larger 'flake over a silver base.Not the giant type used on say,bass boats or the old helmets but something along those lines.

Actually,Nason silver with their largest metallic isn't bad from the sparkle aspect.I used some under Kandy's for just this and look's really good.
Just keep the coats minimal as the more coats, the less effect you get.
Old 07-12-2005, 11:31 PM

Should I maybe use a different paint for a base paint so I can use more coats but not so much of the "good stuff"? I would like to go over it with a Kandy also.

Painting is not my thing as you can see..... but I want to do it myself ya know?
Old 07-13-2005, 05:50 AM

Last photo:

Coat all of your bare metal parts with 2-3 coats of epoxy primer then follow that with polyester filler or polyester primer. Polyester primer really works well for bike parts- some parts are very tough to skim with regular fillers. The epoxy adds a whole lot of durability and also adhesion, and corrosion protection. Bob
Old 07-13-2005, 11:37 AM
Last photo:

Ditto on the polyester primer, it goes on like cream and will hide just about anything. I typically sand with 80 grit, lay on two heavy coats of polyester which completely hides the 80 grit sanding scratches. Block, then a couple of coats of urethane catalyzed primer with blocking between coats.

Vince
Old 07-13-2005, 03:47 PM

Last photo:

the green stuff is rage gold which is yellow out of the can but then kicked off with blue hardener turns green. nice stuff. thats all i really use around here. if your looking for the brightest silver out there then hok orion silver is the way to go. its perfect for under a candy because it sparkels alot and pops through the candy dye.
Old 07-18-2005, 08:40 PM

Last photo:

Evercoat's Z-grip filler starts green and gets green..er
Old 07-19-2005, 11:20 PM

Thanks a lot, I'm sure I'll have a few more questions later. There are so many new products out there since I have done this before.... I know I need a lot of help.

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.