simple brake lite question ( simple for you) - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Electrical
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-07-2002, 07:27 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Post simple brake lite question ( simple for you)

well, i got pulled for no brake lites (207bucks!!!!!) the bulbs work fine except for the second filament(?) doesnt lite up when i mash on the brakes, so i pulled the fuse in control of the interior lites and all the lites in the rear and checked it, it was fine, i pulled it in and out again to make sure it was, BUT, the wire behind the fuse box that goes to that fuse, has been cut and taped in several places, should i chase this one down and replace it, or is my problem deeper than that, also when i was jiggling the fuse box, i did get some frying sounds ( indicating a short?) there are alot of wires now that i think about it, with tape on em, they were just twisted together and taped instead of having butt connectors, but anyways, what should i do about this so i can drivvvvve again, where all do i look? its a 91 stang by the way.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-08-2002, 01:28 AM
banned

well although time consuming I would take a weekend and track down all the wires going to the rear with tape on em and fix them all... then if I had time I would do the same for the rest of the wires... No sense in just leaving the crappy wiring since if they short you could have a big smokey mess and if you are unluckly somethin might burn...
Old 12-08-2002, 03:19 AM

Red face

Darn dontknownuttin,Sounds like we're in the same boat oon electrical stuff,however,i did find my prob,but enough 'bout me,yes I agree,it's best to replace the and or wires that is causing the ticket getter. They (cops) really like picking out the ones they first find having problems with areas like that,brake lights,headlights,ect,How's the gauge situation coming along? Better I hope.
Old 12-08-2002, 08:35 AM

By all means replace ALL wires that are taped. It sounds to me that someone with limited wireing knowledge has done some questionable splices and may not have used the correct wire sizes either.
Correct wireing is something that you should invest a little time in reading up on.
Years ago I bought a "how to" book on wireing from Tex Smith Publishing Company P.O. Box 726, City Airport Driggs , ID 83422. I still refer to this book today plus search the web for info.
My point is that a faulty wireing job can cause a fire and could total a car.
I would also recomend that you consider one of the after market wireing kits out there as they are really reasonable and the best insurance you can buy for your car.
Old 12-08-2002, 08:36 AM

the gauge situation is fine, i found someone to do it, we need a t-fitting cuz i got the gauge and a mini warning lite...anyways, he could fix this too,but he's been working and i havent gotten in touch in a while, today i was looking under the dash, and noticed a wire connecting(clip on actually) to this think on the brake pedal stem(?) one was on, and the other was off, so i thought if i connected the other that was it, it would send the signal, but DOH, it didnt, my dome lite also wont cut the hell of,so i have to pull the bulb to get it to shut up.
Old 12-08-2002, 12:05 PM

ok, so i figured that,that was the brake pedal switch and nope nothing works both are connected this suck.
Old 12-08-2002, 02:54 PM
Just one of the guys

Last journal entry: Garage Toys
Last photo:

Hey DontKnowNuttin,
Check out this site <a href="http://www.cybrrpartspro.com/chiltonautolibrary/root/index.html" target="_blank">http://www.cybrrpartspro.com/chiltonautolibrary/root/index.html</a> follow the directions after you enter. After about 4 steps you can get to the wiring diagrams for your car. I did notice that on another posting you stated it was a '91 then a '90. I don't know much about Fords but have heard they are year specific for certain things like wiring. I hope this helps you out somewhat.

Kevin
Old 12-08-2002, 06:58 PM

thanks for the help, and the link, yeah its a 90, my bad.

Recent Electrical posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.