Simple question regarding synthetic oil - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-06-2005, 03:32 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Simple question regarding synthetic oil

I've been told that switching from regular oil to synthetic is okay but switching back is a big no no. I've also been told that it doesn't do anything if you switch back to regular. So which is it? I have synthetic in mine and I don't plan on switching I just want to know Thanks!

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-06-2005, 03:52 PM

I think the issue is that regular oil will over time leave small deposits in gasket/rings ect sealing possible holes/leaks.
When you switch to synthetic it cleans these deposits out and may start to leak where it previously had not.
Once you go back to regular its too late the "damage" has been done and the only way to fix it is to replace the leaky gaskets.
Old 10-06-2005, 04:36 PM
Certified Lead Foot

Last photo:

You can most definately switch from synthetic to conventional oil any time you want. You just loose the benefits of synthetic oils.

I have been using synthetic oils since 83. Like the man said, synthetic oils are natural born cleaners. They will remove the sludge and crud built up by conventional oils. Many times this crud is what keeps the oil in the engines. After you clean the crud, going to "dino oil" will not reseal the leaks. It took a long time for the dino oil to eat the gasket away and deposit the crud. The synthetic oil cleans right quickly.

Another point that causes synthetics to get a bad rap is they have a higher film strength and therefore are not thicker like dino oil. This "thinner" oil can find all of the smaller holes to run out. Synthetic oil will also go dark almost instantly. According to the American Petroleum Institute, API, this is normal for a detergent oil. I is visible proof the oil is transporting the dirt to the filter.

I have a crown vic that was my father-in-law's. It had 140k on it when I put mobil 1 in it. I ran mobil 1 for about 2 years and 5K miles. I now use amsoil and have put another 7k on it. I now have weepage at the valve cover bolts. I do not use the car often enough to make me do the work necessary to pull the EFI off to pull the covers and put new gaskets in. I will not put dino oil in the engine again.

I have 223K miles on my Sonoma's 2.8L V6. I have used about 1 quart of oil in the last 9K miles. That is since memorial day. This includes spending 10 hours in traffic and traveling 40 miles in 8 hours for huricane Rita. I noticed NO drop in the dip stick level after that experience.
Old 10-06-2005, 05:02 PM

Last photo:

thanks guys. from everything I've been reading here these boards it seems synthetic is the way to go. I switched from "dino-oil" to synthetic in my 69 impala - it has a rebuilt 396 with about 10k miles on it - about a month after I bought it and so far so good
thanks again
Old 10-06-2005, 07:01 PM

Last wiki edit: Mopar tapered axle rear brake conversion
Last journal entry: What I'm doing now...
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 49

The only problem someone might encounter with switching to synthetics is that if the engine is high mileage it could develop some oil leaks. Synthetic oil has smaller molecules than fossil oils and can find its way through cracks in gaskets and seals that fossil oils can't. Other than that you can switch either way without problems.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.