Hot Rod Forum banner

Simple Radiator Question for a simple person

2K views 13 replies 8 participants last post by  2000jack 
#1 ·
Car overheats when I drive down the road and I have replaced or it is new everything. Now I am trying anything. When I placed a handkerchief in front of my radiator at idle the handkerchief flew/waved at me at almost a 90 degree angle. The air is coming from the engine side pushed by the fan through the radiator towards me as I am standing in front of the car. I thinking, shouldn't the handkerchief be sucked up to the radiator face when hold it in front? Or am I wrong in my thinking? As you can see we are not talking any hi-tech job. Just a plain jane 305ho, although there is not much "ho" in a 305ho.

Attachments

See less See more
#4 ·
2000jack said:
Car overheats when I drive down the road and I have replaced or it is new everything. Now I am trying anything. When I placed a handkerchief in front of my radiator at idle the handkerchief flew/waved at me at almost a 90 degree angle. The air is coming from the engine side pushed by the fan through the radiator towards me as I am standing in front of the car. I thinking, shouldn't the handkerchief be sucked up to the radiator face when hold it in front? Or am I wrong in my thinking? As you can see we are not talking any hi-tech job. Just a plain jane 305ho, although there is not much "ho" in a 305ho.
If this is a pump mounted fan and you replaced the pump as well one of several things happened.

To start with V-Belt pumps and fans rotate clockwise, same as the crank. Serpentine belt pumps and fans rotate opposite to V-belts and the crank in a counter-clockwise direction.

If you have cross breded the pump or fan between these they will be turning opposite to the direction needed for the belt system.

The pump will attempt to pull coolant from the engine, so intake will be from the top of the radiator and return thru the bottom.

The fan will blow air out the front of the radiator instead of pulling it in.

Bogie

#9 · (Edited)
johnnya said:
The fan being on backwards would still move the air the same direction, just not as effeciently. Sounds to me like the fan is pitched backward from the proper rotation.
Can you post a close up picture of the engine fan?
JA
I was looking in Summit and that have photos of fans for reverse directions. I was going to check the fan against that. Also I will probably take it off and check for a part number and see if it has one and double check the application. If you go this web site you will see a picture of the engine, not the best photo though, but it shows the fan. http://www.hotrodhotline.com/feature/rrow/2008/08woodmansee0422/

#10 ·
burnt olds said:
get a pre 87 chevy fan
you got a nice ride
Now that I got an idea of what to look at, hopefully I will get a better handle on the problem. Thanks for the compliment. I have a "29 and I partially (wip) did it over and had of left over parts. So I started this one with a '31frame and a '27 Tudor sedan body.
More photos http://www.hotrodhotline.com/feature/rrow/2008/08woodmansee0422/

#11 ·
2000jack said:
I was looking in Summit and that have photos of fans for reverse directions. I was going to check the fan against that. Also I will probably take it off and check for a part number and see if it has one and double check the application. If you go this web site you will see a picture of the engine, not the best photo though, but it shows the fan. http://www.hotrodhotline.com/feature/rrow/2008/08woodmansee0422/
That fan is definetly for reverse rotation.

#12 ·
SSedan64 said:
That fan is definetly for reverse rotation.
First thanks for your help! :thumbup: When I bought the fan, I never gave it any thought. I guess it is because when I was first into hot rods in the 60's and early 70's with my 23 T, before Total Performance open it's doors, a 36 Dodge coupe and a 33 sedan (although I did buy a Pete and Jake's front axle, that was a "wow" then) there was just about only JC Whitney catalog's to get stuff from. A lot of Chevy stuff was interchangeable, if it fits it works. In the 70's I was into muscle cars, 65 GTO, that had an Isky 310 duration cam, the old way of measuring, a stock tri-power 66 GTO, 66 Nova, 55 Chevy and a 68 Corvette Convertible. Then I opened a business that I had for 20 years and I changed gears and now I changed gears again into the hot rod mode. I have a lot of catching up to do :rolleyes:

#14 · (Edited)
n-gin said:
Sur loks to be wrong fan for aplication, Unless your were to go to serpentine belt system. Also a benefit if you have a lot of accessories to releve stress off the crank nose.
I want and bought the correct one and I am going to install it tonight. I checked the number on the one one in Summit catalog and sure enough it was for a serpentine belt. I drove it for twenty minutes and it never went over 190, before it would be 6/7 minutes and it would be at 220/230.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.