Simple Rookie Paint Question - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-06-2011, 12:46 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Simple Rookie Paint Question

Howdy, hey I've only shot a few small parts with urethane paint with a hardener and now have a full rack of suspension components ready to shoot. Just wondering when waiting between your first tack coat and 2nd coat do you run some reducer through your gun to keep the passages from gumming up? The gun will have enough paint in it to do about 3 coats...can I just let it sit the 10 minutes between coats without clogging it up?
Thanks!

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-06-2011, 05:15 PM
boatbob2

paint with hardner........

Hi,yes you can leave the paint in the gun for at least 10 minutes,but,if i had to leave it for 1 or 2 hours,i would take all the catalized paint ,put it in a bottle,with top,and put it into the freezer. the very cold temp will stop the paint from getting hard,then clean the gun very good.(ive have catalized paint in the freezer,for months,) pull it out,let it warm up,add a little reducer,and use it.
Old 09-06-2011, 05:20 PM

Last photo:

I would have never thought about freezing mixed paint. In my case, I suppose the paint would be in the gun for around half an hour...enough time to lay down 3 coats with aprox. 10 minutes of tacking up between coats....so just let the gun sit?
Old 09-06-2011, 06:14 PM
Hotrodders.com moderator

Last wiki edit: Health and safety in the shop or garage
Last journal entry: Yard Dog pic
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 3

Some of the paint I use would gum up the works big time if I left it set in the gun for a half hour so I just mix what I need. Use the stainless measuring spoons from the grocery far mixing small amounts of paint..

Sam
Old 09-06-2011, 09:45 PM
boatbob2

paint in the freezer.....

Hi,no,the paint will NOT freeze,though it will get thick,i always add a little reducer,stirred good into the paint before placing it into the freezer.
Old 09-07-2011, 05:57 AM

Last wiki edit: Stripping paint Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 11

The "Pot Life" of your particular paint will be posted on the can ,near the mix ratio
Old 09-08-2011, 01:23 PM

Last photo:

I understand the pot life of the paint itself, I'm just concerned that the gun will start to clog up if I don't run some reducer through it between coats. The tack time between coats will be much less than the actual pot life.
With a gravity feed I'll have to dump the paint out, add reducer and run that out. Wait a few minutes and then refill the gun and shoot some more. Is that what you all do?
Thanks,
Dave
Old 09-08-2011, 02:02 PM

It wont gum up your gun in 10 mins. If you only have a small amount of paint left in the cup, dump it and run reducer through. But if you have a pint or more just leave it, and spray some masking paper first, to make sure your spray is still uniform. I'm still a noob tho. I'm on car #5.
Old 09-08-2011, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatbob2
Hi,yes you can leave the paint in the gun for at least 10 minutes,but,if i had to leave it for 1 or 2 hours,i would take all the catalized paint ,put it in a bottle,with top,and put it into the freezer. the very cold temp will stop the paint from getting hard,then clean the gun very good.(ive have catalized paint in the freezer,for months,) pull it out,let it warm up,add a little reducer,and use it.
So does that mean I can leave my unused un catalized paint outside through winter and not worry? I have been afraid to leave anything outside to freeze since I left some icing light fill outside and come spring when I used it it didnt harden lol...that was a nightmare!!! Happened on the car in my pic lol...thats the whole reason I rattle canned it satin black. (wanted to drive it but didnt wanna mess with the minor imperfections for awhile)
Old 09-08-2011, 08:57 PM

Last wiki edit: Stripping paint Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 11

After I lay a coat down I disconnect the hose and set the gun down then walk away....I come back for the next coat connect the hose and spray toward the exhaust to see my fan pattern before I start the next coat if its not quite right I'll just wipe the front of the cap with a shop towel and a bit of reducer but its a rarity that I'll need to do that or sometimes the vent hole gets clogged, just get into the habit of checking the fan before you start ,no need for all that cleaning,But thats one of the reasons you newbie painters do so well... you worry about this stuff and all that extra work wont hurt it just takes extra time,plus with all that extra pouring back and forth you'll have a good chance of spilling something ...I still remember my first paint job in my Moms garage ,I must have painted that car 100 times in my head before I got started...good luck

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.