Hot Rod Forum banner

Since We Are Having A Special On AC Threads...

793 views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  1ownerT 
#1 ·
While sitting in the garage this winter, my 1988 Buick LeSabre T-type developed a oil leak from the AC compressor. Is it possible to get rebuild parts for the compressor and how hard might it be to replace some seals?
The reason I would like to repair vs. replace, I bought the car new in 88 it now has 25,000 miles, everything is original except the fluids. I would like to keep the OE compressor also.
Worst case are there shops who can replace the bad seal/seals or does everyone toss them out and replace with a new one?

#3 ·
1ownerT said:
While sitting in the garage this winter, my 1988 Buick LeSabre T-type developed a oil leak from the AC compressor. Is it possible to get rebuild parts for the compressor and how hard might it be to replace some seals?
The reason I would like to repair vs. replace, I bought the car new in 88 it now has 25,000 miles, everything is original except the fluids. I would like to keep the OE compressor also.
Worst case are there shops who can replace the bad seal/seals or does everyone toss them out and replace with a new one?
Parts should be available. You need a special tool to get the clutch off.
Exactly where is it leaking.

#5 ·
Well, I was able to look at it on Sunday. I wasn't really able to tell much, the compressor is mounted at the bottom of the engine and between the engine and the radiator. The entire compressor had a film of oily dirt on it, some signs of oil having ran across the motor mount just below it. I can't tell where the leak is originating from partially because it is so hard to see where it is tucked into and the hard lines coming off of it block the view also.
The oil that was on the floor is clear, the engine oil is slightly caramel colored so it rules out engine oil. The system is not charged now apparently because the compressor cycled on and off continuously when I turned it on and it would not cool.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.