Singer 111W153: New Developments?
So I've had it for close to a month now. Every so oftern it does act up. This is what I did. First of all I took a really good look at the inside of this machine. My research indicateds that this machine is from somewhere around 1940. Well, it looked like it really deep into the head. The grease was old and caked causing the machine to slightly bind up. I removed the bobbin case, took the sside and top cover off. Annd then cleaned the hell out of it using engine degreaser. It looked like a crankshaft to me inside so I figured - what the heck. Tons of old grease and oil left the machine as I rinsed - the binding was gone. I dried it out with a hair dryer and regreased/oiled all the moving parts. I reinstalled the bobbin case and realized that all this time I had been following Singers lousy instructioions with th thread not going under the bobbin spring. I guess that explains more tension troubles that I had. So this time I did it my own way and really pulled the thread down and to the side, waiting to hear the thread clip under the spring.
My test run was automotive grade vinyl that had been used to repair my carseat. I used #69 thread along with an 18 needle. The top thread kept snapping but it did make a perfect stitch. I switched to a 24 needle and all problems where solved. the machine works great now and I can;t wait to creat something seriuos now.