Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Singer 111w155 problem
View Single Post
Old 03-04-2013, 08:50 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanTwoLakes View Post
O.K., but when does it do it? When you first start up sewing, after you've sewn for a while, when?
The machine sews fine and everything looks good until you lift the foot and needle to remove the piece I'm sewing. I try to pull the material out and it comes out hard. There is about 4 pieces of thread instead of 2 under the material. One is the top thread, one is the bobbin thread, then there is 2 extra threads that are wound around the underside of the bobbin case. At first I thought it was just me, but after using this machine for almost a year I'm pretty sure it isn't me and now its starting to annoy me. Yesterday I went to sew a 1" square piece of velcro to a piece of 2oz leather. It was such a small sewing job I decided to just handwheel the machine. I held the top and bobbin thread for the first inch and it sewed great until I went to remove the piece and I had the old 4 pieces of thread under the material. I cut the top and bobbin thread and removed the material I was sewing and the 2 extra threads were wound tight under the bobbin case. I has to remove the foot plate and the 2 very small bobbin hold down screws and remove the bobbin case to get the tangled thread out (total pain in the ***). So a two minute sewing job turned into a 2 hour event by the time I was done. When I got this machine before I started sewing with it I was oiling it and noticed some thread coming from under the bobbin case, so I pulled the bobbin case and there must have been about 2 yards of old thread wound around the bobbin shaft under the bobbin case. I cleaned it out and started to sew with it. So I think whoever was sewing with the machine before me had the same problem.
Now that I think of it, one of the largest trim shops in Wausau was only 2 blocks to the north of Ariel (Wausau trim shop). The owner (I believe his name was Ray Thorne) retired in the late 80s and had the business for sale, but ended up just selling the building and now there is a music studio there. Janesville is quite a haul to get your machines serviced, even for me!