Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board

Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/)
-   Interior (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/interior/)
-   -   Singer 211G-156 (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/singer-211g-156-a-214800.html)

lilsuz 02-16-2012 10:11 AM

Singer 211G-156

2 Attachment(s)
Hello,

I've been reading the forum off and on for a few years. I've done some auto upholstery work and airplane upholstery too, and lots of home interior work such as sofas and curtains. Happy to join and share here!

I'm looking at purchasing another sewing machine, which is the Singer 211G-156 listed in my post title. I have to drive about an hour and a half to look at this machine which seller sent me photos of. It looks to be in good condition and he says it works well.

He says it is the large capacity bobbin though, and from what I can find, it looks like a smaller bobbin to me. It is top loading. I asked him for measurements of the bobbin, I figure if it is large capacity, the bobbin should measure about an inch across, and the width of it would be about 3/8"... Does that sound about right?

What letter of the alphabet "L" "M" "G" or other would signify the large capacity bobbin on this machine? I cannot find that information in a service manual online.

Thanks ahead for your helpl!

Kind regards,
Suz

DanTwoLakes 02-16-2012 01:24 PM

1 Attachment(s)
The "G" in the 211G156 means the machine was manufactured in Germany. It is, coincidentally, also the type of bobbin that the machine uses, which is approximately 3/4" in diameter. This is not considered a large bobbin. An "M" bobbin is about 1" in diameter, and a "U" bobbin is a little over 1 1/8" in diameter. Those are considered large bobbins, but your machine can only use a "G" bobbin. BTW, the "L" bobbin is used in home sewing machines.

That machine looks like it is in great condition, how much do they want for it?

Here is the link to the service manual for the machine: CLICK HERE

lilsuz 02-17-2012 09:36 AM

Hi Dan,
Thanks for the info on the bobbin size for this machine. "G" is kind of small, as I do aircraft covers and lots of long seams. My other machines have "M" size bobbins and they do last a while before changing. Yes, I agree, machine looks to be in great shape though. He wants close to $500 for it, but has missing parts. So, another downfall. It would be good as a leather machine though, so may consider it for that purpose, but price would have to go down to buy the needed parts for it. I'd probably offer about $300.00 or thereabouts.
Thanks again for the info on the bobbins. By the way, I do have (2) commercial embroidery machines that take "L" size prewound bobbins. Those do fit into my home machines as well.
Thanks again Dan, Love your forum!
Suz

DanTwoLakes 02-17-2012 10:09 AM

If you can get the machine for $300 - $500 with table and motor it would be a good deal. What parts are missing?

BTW, my Consew 255RB-3 uses "U" bobbins so if you need a machine with a large bobbin, I'd recommend that. They sell for around $2000 now with table and motor, so a used one would be a lot more than $500.

lilsuz 02-17-2012 10:38 AM

Dan, I'm not sure yet what all is missing, but the knee lift for sure. I'd have to go down to see it to know for sure. Just not enough time to go yet, we'll see. Hopefully I can do that soon.

About the Consew you have, the "U" sounds lovely! That would be great. I did see a Consew (I think 226?) that had a jumbo bobbin a couple days ago, it was only $300, and it sold right away. It was in like new condition. There was another that just sold for $400, so that is where I'd be price wise for any machine that I buy. I have time on my side as I already have machines I can get by with til then. I just have to keep looki'n.

Hey, did I read that you had a Singer 211 too? I saw a video of one, they sound smooth. I could see how they would be nice for leather and softer goods. Sometimes I make lighter weight covers too.

This week, I patterned a car cover for a BMW, guy wants it made of Tricot stretchy white see-through nylon. It will be like ladies nighties. He loves his car. Haha! Really, he loves his car! I could use my Kenmore home machine on that cover with a 69 thread. Probably use my Bernina/Juki serger to finish the edges of the seams. Fun fun!

DanTwoLakes 02-17-2012 11:45 AM

I don't have a Singer 211, I have a Consew 226-R, and it only has a "G" bobbin. I have the Consew 255RB-3, and also a Singer 144W204 which is a 20" long arm machine. I also have a Singer 236W post bed machine, but I don't have that up and running yet.

The 211 is perfect for covers, leather, etc. It has needle feed and drop feed, and is a walking foot machine. It's exactly like my Consew 226, including the feet, the tension, and a lot of other parts.

lilsuz 02-17-2012 12:26 PM

Okay, Thanks Dan! No wonder you are so knowledgeable, you own lots of great machines.

My friend has the Consew 224r, or 226r with the g bobbin and I liked it so much. She has had it for many years without much fuss. I used it when my main machine was down, but it is up and running again. Actually, I did not seem to be bothered too much with the small bobbin on her machine, I had a bunch ready to go while I was sewing. So, maybe I'll go get the 211. Thanks again and have a great day!

DanTwoLakes 02-17-2012 01:03 PM

The Consew 226 is a clone of the original Singer 111W that everybody copied. The 211 is just a new and improved version of the 111. You will love it.

nine4gmc 02-17-2012 03:26 PM

quick question, is that a pneumatic foot lift on that machine? I have heard but not seen one that I know of.

DanTwoLakes 02-17-2012 06:11 PM

No, the foot lift is a manual lift, either by hand or with a knee lift. It would be rare to see a pneumatic lift, even in a factory setting. The operator would need to control the lift as they were sewing. There would not need to be an assisted lift in almost any sewing situation I could think of.

nine4gmc 02-17-2012 06:29 PM

what is that actuator looking thing attached to the back of the machine, it has what looks like a brass fitting and air line.

DanTwoLakes 02-18-2012 08:58 AM

I see what you're talking about now, and that's exactly what it looks like. That's where the lifting mechanism is located, at the end of that long lever. That's also where a chain would normally come through the table if the machine had a manual foot pedal operated lift mechanism instead of a knee lift.

lilsuz 09-26-2013 07:43 AM

Been A While - Got a Machine!

Hi All,

Well, the 211 got sold to someone else, I snoozed and loozed. :(

But that was a while ago, I was able to purchase and older Pfaff 545 with the large bobbin and high lift. It isn't sewing (yet) and the owner passed away. Her Sis was selling the machine and there were quite a few interested parties, but she sold it to me. $450 was the price, I gave her $500, which made me the buyer. Whoo hoo! So, she took the best offer.

The former owner of the machine had a nickname (Lena), so I think I'll call her Pfaffalena. Sorry, my machines get names if I really love them and want to keep them around. This one is a girl. Hope she gets to stay! But that will depend on if she can sew! :mwink: Before I arrived to look, the person showing the machine told me it worked, but had not sewn on it herself.

There are two sizes of needles that were included with the machine, and I have the original (green) manual too. There is a date of 11/1979 on the back of the manual, so I'm thinking she was built in 1979, or thereabouts. The machine looks brand new. I was shown a boat interior and an RV interior that were sewn with the machine, within the past few years. So, I'm confident the machine will sew, I just have to figure it out, or get some help figuring it out. Looks a bit more more complicated than anything I've fixed so far, but just a couple days ago, I did install a brand new hook (Jumbo) in an Econosew 2060 sewing machine. So, I may be able to do this!

Thank you all for your posts, I'll be doing some reading!

DanTwoLakes 09-26-2013 08:24 AM

The Pfaff 545 is a great sewing machine. It is higher quality than the Singer but you will find that the repair parts are more expensive. Either way, you stole it.

lilsuz 09-26-2013 01:44 PM

Dan,

Thank you so much for the confirmation that I did okay! ;)
I really appreciate that a bunch!