Hot Rod Forum banner

singer 241 info.

30K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  Coodeville 
#1 ·
Has anyone out there had any experiance with one of these machines?I have found some info on them, but not sure if it does have a walking foot!There is one for sale locally with table and fairly new motor.Just looking for any advise. Is $375.00 a decent price? I would think so, but not sure if I would use it enough.

#2 ·
jcarter said:
Has anyone out there had any experiance with one of these machines?I have found some info on them, but not sure if it does have a walking foot!There is one for sale locally with table and fairly new motor.Just looking for any advise. Is $375.00 a decent price? I would think so, but not sure if I would use it enough.
jcarter,I asked my wife about this machine,she is the head seamstress for a sail shop and has been sewing all of her life so i figured she would know about sewing machines. She told me to do a Google search for this machine which I did,but not having the machine specifics ,I was not able to find much.
She does not think that machine would have a walking foot,but when it comes to sewing machines that any thing is possible.She says that they have a Singer machine in the shop that has a walking foot on it but can't remember what model it is and that they only only use it for sewing light nylon strap because that it will not sew heavy material.
You need to get more info on the machine, like if it is a industrial machine, double needle e.t.c. .
Also what are you wanting to sew as this will determine the type machine that you need.

Kenny

Lost your job yet?
Keep buying foreign.

#3 · (Edited)
The Singer 241 is a high speed, single needle, lock stitch, (as opposed to a chain stitch) lighter duty industrial machine. It is not have compound feed, a walking foot, or reverse. It will handle light upholstery work. Here is the instruction manual for the machine. CLICK HERE There are 3 models, 241-11, 241-12, and 241-13. The 11 is the lightest duty of the bunch which will only handle 9/32" of material thickness. The 13 will handle 3/8" of material thickness. (for comparison, my Consew 226-R will handle 1/2", and my Consew 255-RB-3 will handle 9/16")

My suggestion to you is that if you intend to do more than just one or two simple jobs with it to invest in a machine with a walking foot that has reverse. While neither of those features is a necessity, they sure make life a lot easier. By simple, I mean this machine would have trouble feeding two thicknesses of fabric and sew foam through itself and still sew good even stitches. If you just want to sew two or more pieces of fabric together, it would work fine. $375 is a fair price if the machine has been gone over by a sewing machine mechanic and the machine is in top shape.

#4 ·
Thanks guys!Not sure if this is an 11,12 or 13 sreies yet!I had found that info about them, but wasn't quite sure if it was a walking foot or not.It was calling it a presser foot.Sewing material thickness's and foam questions were what I was wondering about?This doe's have a variable speed motor which is good,But is not having reverse a concern? We would be looking at using this machine for personal, hobby use on our own interiors,or chair restoration, or maybe a canvass truck tarp. Jim.

#5 ·
Most older machines have clutch motors, that are either on or off. You have to control the machine by feathering the foot pedal to just engage the clutch enough to move slowly ahead. If you have some type of variable speed motor, that is good.

Not having reverse only means that when you want to back tack at the end of a seam, you have to lift the foot, slide the work towards you about 1/2", let the foot down and stitch it again on top of the original seam to lock the seam down so it doesn't open up. If the machine has reverse, all you have to do is push down a lever to make the machine back up and then release the lever to tack over the end of a seam. Like I said before, reverse is not a necessity, but it sure makes things a lot easier. This machine should handle most, if not all of what you want to do, but it would be better if it was a 13 instead of an 11.

#6 ·
Singer 241 oil?

I recently bought a singer 241-12 and can't figure what type of oil I'm suposed to use on it. I can't find any singer branded oil in a big enough size. The best thing I've found so far is Lilly white all purpose oil. Would that work good? And I wanted to say thank you for the information here. I have been wondering how I would lock the stitch and picking up the foot and moving it is brilliant.

#7 ·
Lilly White is a sewing machine oil, that would be fine. Sewing machine oil is simply mineral oil, so any good quality oil will do, and Lilly White is a very good oil. Just don't use anything else, 'cuz you could stain fabric and all purpose oils will get gummy in a sewing machine.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.