Singer model question - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Interior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-08-2011, 10:02 AM

Last journal entry: First Entry 82' Camaro Z28 Project
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Singer model question

I have the opportunity to pick up a working 211G machine for a great price but the seller says it doesn't have a walking foot. The numbers are 211G-451-01 which from what limited info I can find should have the walking foot. Can somebody tell me about this machine?

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-08-2011, 10:51 AM

Last photo:

More specifically are any of the 211G walking foot, or can this model be equipped with one? The manual says it's compound feed but that's just the needle correct? Thanks for the help!
Old 03-08-2011, 04:55 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Contact adhesive
Last journal entry: 49 Packard
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 22

The 211G451 is the same as a 211G151 except the 451 has an underbed thread trimmer with a thread wiper. It is compound feed, but does not have a walking foot (alternating presser feet). None of the 211 series have a walking foot. Find a 111W153, 154, or 155.

No one lives forever, the trick is creating something that will.
Old 03-08-2011, 05:16 PM

Last photo:

Dan, thanks for answering my questions. I've been looking for about 6 months for the right machine and thought this might be the one. Seller is asking $100 for the machine and table. Since I never sewed a stitch until getting a 66-16 for Christmas and knowing it won't do what I need it to, I think this 211 might be a step up and for the price and I might buy it anyway.

Another question...why do most places advertise walking presser feet for the 111 & 211 models both? That is what's confusing me.
Old 03-08-2011, 05:56 PM

Last photo:

I've had great luck at finding walking foot sewing machines. Keep your eyes an eBay. That's where I found both of mine. Just make sure you don't purchase the 211 and turn it into a dust collector or coat rack - I have 2 machines here that I purchased in order to do upholstery and they both turned into that. Close to 250 out the window.
Old 03-08-2011, 06:20 PM

Last photo:

So your the one out bidding me all the time on ebay! j/k

I've been searching all over the place and they just don't come up locally or ebay very much this one being local is quite a big deal.

My 66 machine spent about a month on the table and the girlfriend got tired of looking at it and tucked it away downstairs. Suits me since I practiced a ton and have been busy actually working on the car. Since it's getting closer to interior time I need to get something going.
Old 03-08-2011, 08:32 PM

Last photo:

It's been about 7 months since I bid on one. Got what I need now. The Singer 66 is a good machine - I have one myself.
Old 03-08-2011, 09:32 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolball
Dan, thanks for answering my questions. I've been looking for about 6 months for the right machine and thought this might be the one. Seller is asking $100 for the machine and table. Since I never sewed a stitch until getting a 66-16 for Christmas and knowing it won't do what I need it to, I think this 211 might be a step up and for the price and I might buy it anyway.

Another question...why do most places advertise walking presser feet for the 111 & 211 models both? That is what's confusing me.
The 211 would have been used in a factory for one specific purpose, and it was probably great for what it was used for. Probably long stretches of joining something together. It's just not as versatile as a machine with a walking foot. It also doesn't have reverse. While reverse is not absolutely necessary, if you ever use a machine with reverse you'll never go back to one without.

The people who sell them don't check them out. They think the 111 and 211 are the same and they're not. They use the same housing so they do look alike.

BTW, in your original question you asked about compound feed. Compound feed means the machine uses a combination of two feeding systems. The 211 and 111 use needle feed and drop feed together. Drop feed means the machines push the work through with feed dogs and needle feed means the needle also pulls the work through. This feature holds the two parts of the work together better as you sew.

Last edited by DanTwoLakes; 03-08-2011 at 09:39 PM.
Old 03-09-2011, 12:12 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanTwoLakes
The 211 would have been used in a factory for one specific purpose, and it was probably great for what it was used for. Probably long stretches of joining something together. It's just not as versatile as a machine with a walking foot. It also doesn't have reverse. While reverse is not absolutely necessary, if you ever use a machine with reverse you'll never go back to one without.

The people who sell them don't check them out. They think the 111 and 211 are the same and they're not. They use the same housing so they do look alike.

BTW, in your original question you asked about compound feed. Compound feed means the machine uses a combination of two feeding systems. The 211 and 111 use needle feed and drop feed together. Drop feed means the machines push the work through with feed dogs and needle feed means the needle also pulls the work through. This feature holds the two parts of the work together better as you sew.
Walking foot compound feed is the way to go. Putting upholstery aside - I've been able to mend my leather jackets on my 111W and 225. That alone was worth it to me since the last tailor I dealt with botched everything up.
Old 12-11-2011, 10:48 AM

Last photo:

Old post, but...

I thought at least the 211G 155/156 was a walking-foot machine. I have one but have never used it and don't know how to tell... but it is advertised in many places as a walking-foot machine. Singer's service manual describes it as having "alternating presser feet." Not sure if that's the same as walking foot or not.

http://parts.singerco.com/IPsvcManua...55_211G156.pdf
Old 12-11-2011, 09:39 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

Alternating presser feet and walking foot are the same thing.

You can tell if the machine has a walking foot because the foot is in two separate pieces on two different shafts. When one half of the foot comes down, the other half of the foot goes up. Look at the picture. From right to left, the front shaft holds the needle, the middle shaft holds the inside section of the foot (in this case a presser foot) and the rear shaft holds the outside section of the foot.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1202.JPG
Views:	159
Size:	128.2 KB
ID:	60709  

Last edited by DanTwoLakes; 12-12-2011 at 10:06 AM.

Recent Interior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.