Thread: Singh Grooves
View Single Post
Old 09-22-2010, 10:24 PM
Boost Retard

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by crussell85
I guess my largest interest in singh grooves was to increase the quench area to reduce compression, in other posts they are saying that the grooves are decreasing the risk of detonation, is any of this true?
I'm not sure if you said it earlier or someone else, but I don't get "increase quench area to reduce compression." Depending on how you're defining it, grooving the quench pad either doesn't change quench area or decreases it, and if you increase the distance as Singh suggests you'll further decrease the effect.

Second, yes, groves seem to make the engine less detonation sensitive (that is where my 10% increase in compression on the briggs idea came from, generally those briggs L-heads do not like compression increases and almost never show any positive effects from it but I knew that I'd be safe based on previous experience with groves), but there are loads of other ways to skin that cat. I've run as high as 11.8:1 compression on an iron headed SBC with 87 octane without groves and without detonation problems. My DD in college was at around 10:1 (again, iron headed SBC that by the time I was done with it could average 35-37mpg highway, still crappy in the city though), and much of the time I didn't have the money for better than 87 and that thing ran reliably like that after some tweaking.