Singh Grooves and chamber advice - Page 2 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-20-2009, 04:21 PM
Chasing dreams with a ball bat

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks for sharing the info guys. Will post back with some progress pics.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-21-2009, 06:51 PM

Last photo:

I have the first set of grooves cut. Just used a die grinder with a disc and then used the needle files to finish them off, per AB's suggestions. I think they look pretty good. In aluminum, it really didn't take long to do either.

I used the old gasket clamped to the head with spring clamps to make sure the files didn't slip and gouge the sealing surface. Seems to have worked well.
Old 08-24-2009, 09:09 PM

Last photo:

Pics of Singh Grooves

Heres the heads all cleaned up, with grooves cut, CCs polished. Those standard abrasives CrossBuffs work great.

Should have the pistons this week, motor together in a couple weeks.

Contrary to suggestions that the DCR is too high (still not sure how my number is so different, I get the same thing every time) I'm gonna try flat tops with the current cam. We'll see what happens.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0004.JPG
Views:	158
Size:	211.7 KB
ID:	40242   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0003.JPG
Views:	167
Size:	169.2 KB
ID:	40243   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0001.JPG
Views:	157
Size:	195.8 KB
ID:	40244   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0002.JPG
Views:	161
Size:	124.2 KB
ID:	40245  
Old 08-24-2009, 09:15 PM
More for Less Racer

What/whose calculator are you using? Some require you to input a different intake closing number than is on the cam card.
Old 08-24-2009, 09:43 PM

Last photo:

The grooves look good, keep us informed
Old 08-24-2009, 09:50 PM

Last photo:

DCR calculations?!??!

I checked the DCR calcs again. I did go to the KB page, which has plenty of helpful calculators on it. I input my info and it spit out a real high number, like 9.5:1 as the other gentlemen had said. Hmmm.

I then tried old faithful at http://www.empirenet.com/pkelley2/DynamicCR.html. IT's a free stand alone little program. THe author also goes into detail about the calculations, theories, etc. Good little read for anyone curious about running higher compression and hoping to run pump gas as well.

It's a nice little calculator that needs a little more information. You use the advertised duration, not just the .050 plus 15 deg. That sounds like an appoximation for a aggresive solid roller, not a more mild hyd. roller. Perhaps that's the difference??

Anyway, the above calculator comes out to a 7.9:1 DCR, which is right in the range with the Performance Trends Engine Analyzer 3.1 program I use, which spit out 8.1:1 DCR, and 208 psi cranking compression. (strangely enough that number is usually very close to reality, which tends to make me believe that the program is a fair calculator in at least some areas).

I dunno why the huge difference, but I"m sticking with what I know. I've used the Engine Analyzer before to recam my 10.5:1 350 and it predicted good results, and the motor does indeed run just fine with a 224 or so @ .050 cam in it.

I guess if all else fails I"ll convert my water / meth system to spray at 2" Hg instead of 4psi for a little added safety.
Old 08-24-2009, 10:00 PM
More for Less Racer

Thanks for the link, I collect all that I can find. Had this one and lost it to a computer crash a while back. Also have Perf Trends Engine Analyzer but it is V2.1 and is very out of date. I need to upgrade. Let us know who you make out.
Old 08-24-2009, 11:39 PM

Last wiki edit: How to title a hot rod Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 8

Fired up he 406 tonight,no road testing, sounds great though.
Shane
Old 08-25-2009, 02:01 AM
Senior Curmudgeon

Last wiki edit: DynoSim combinations Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 326

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotrodf1
I guess if all else fails I"ll convert my water / meth system to spray at 2" Hg instead of 4psi for a little added safety.
Ummmm....2" Hg equals 0.98 psi. 4 psi equals 8.16 in Hg.
Now, don't take this the wrong way, but if this is indicative of your math skills, then maybe the reason you're not getting the same DCR numbers we are is you.
Old 08-27-2009, 08:49 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by techinspector1
Ummmm....2" Hg equals 0.98 psi. 4 psi equals 8.16 in Hg.
Now, don't take this the wrong way, but if this is indicative of your math skills, then maybe the reason you're not getting the same DCR numbers we are is you.
Left out some info, had 8 psi from a Vortech, sprayed the meth at 4 psi pressure and above. Now without the Vortech I would spray at 2"Hg vacuum, as I near WOT. Just using "normal" units for vac and pressure.

The computer did the math with both programs, and I always recheck my work.
Old 08-27-2009, 08:52 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevrolet4x4s
Fired up he 406 tonight,no road testing, sounds great though.
Shane
Was this a totally new build - as in never heard it run before? I just ask because I've heard people say that the motor with grooves will actually sound different then before the grooves. I am anxious to find out for myself.

Pistons should be here finally on Monday. Maybe motor back in by next weekend. Then for some SCCA autocross action later that month to see how it does. Will report back, most likely with link to video.
Old 08-27-2009, 10:19 PM

Last wiki edit: How to title a hot rod Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 8

Quote:
Was this a totally new build - as in never heard it run before? I just ask because I've heard people say that the motor with grooves will actually sound different then before the grooves. I am anxious to find out for myself.

Pistons should be here finally on Monday. Maybe motor back in by next weekend. Then for some SCCA autocross action later that month to see how it does. Will report back, most likely with link to video.
Totally new build,basicially the block is all that was used of the old engine. Drove it a little thisevening man does it ever pull hard ,needs a bigger carb and exhaust.

Shane
Old 09-21-2010, 09:33 AM
WFO

Last wiki edit: Intake manifold
Last journal entry: 1980 Malibu Wagon
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1616

Quote:

So Hotrod, did you ever get this deal together? If so, what were the results of the grooves?
Old 09-26-2010, 10:41 PM

Last photo:

You bet. Ran it around on the street some and raced it on the road course a couple times along with some autrcrossing as well.

I would say it didn't hurt things any. I didn't notice a ridiculous change, but then I increased compression to 11.6:1 from 9.9 and ran it on pump gas 93oct with no problems whatsoever. Ran abot 32-34 degrees timing. that, to me, is saying that it likely does help.

It wasn't real tough to do, but I don't think I would take the heads off just to do this. If part of a high compression motor or even forced induction motor, I think it's good insurance.

I did not have a true before and after testing, like many others, due to the fact that I wasn't willing to invest the time and $ into pulling the heads yet again to do the grooves after running the motor without.

This mod is tough to really get a good read on since there are obviously several other things at work. I think quench distance plays a part in this as well. I ran about .040, was told that was basically ideal for maximum turbulence in chamber and still not kissing piston to heads.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.