Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Single exhaust questions.
View Single Post
Old 11-22-2012, 10:28 AM
Analog man in a digital world.

Last journal entry: HEI comparison.
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Single exhaust questions.

The engine for my '88 C1500 long bed is finally home from the machine shop and I'll start assembling this weekend. Time to start gathering exhaust components. The engine is an 8.75 to 1 SCR 355 with a Comp XR264HR-10 hyd. roller, basically stock '062 Vortecs, Performer intake, Q-Jet M4ME carb and HEI igntion. I have Doug Thorley ceramic coated 1-1/2" Tri-Y headers and from there I plan to run a 3" single exhaust. I used one on my last truck and it worked nicely but I want to make some refinements this time. It will have 2-1/4" pipes off the collectors into a Flowmaster Y-214300 2 into 1 collector, dual 2-1/4" inlets with a single 3" inlet. Off this collector it will have 3" pipe back to a Hooker Aero chamber muffler just ahead of the rear axle with 3" tailpipe to the back bumper. I'm not sure what the best position for the collector would be. Someone suggested putting an X pipe ahead of the collector to help quiet the exhaust. Seems like that may be overkill but I haven't ruled it out. Space is a concern as the truck has a 4/6 static drop with a flipped rear axle and C-notched frame and I don't have much room for duals or a 3-1/2" single where it goes over the axle but 3" will work with decent clearance. From my research so far a single 3" system done properly will support 350HP, I do not believe I'll be making quite that much. I'm thinking 325 at the flywheel is fairly realistic though.

Any thoughts on placement of the collector and if an X pipe would be of any benefit? Remember this is a pickup truck not a race car......

Here's the "collector"..