getting bars together
again, 1-1/4" .120 DOM.
Bar is adjustable, around 45", 10-1/4" center-to-center at the axle mounts, and consists of two triangles, one circumscribed about the other, with a front gusset at the apex of the tubes.
I welded the bar, as well as everything else in thise post with a TIG welder (Hobart 165i). I thought that would pose some problems, especially on the axle tubes and housing, it actually worked out really well.
3/32" 2%thoriated tungsten, sharpened to point
3/32" Alloy steel filler rod
straight Argon gas
For surface prep i used regular fiber disks and then cleaned it up with a braided wire wheel. The regular grinding wheels can leave little bits of crud in the weld area and they can create some ****ty, porous welds if you hit them. The wire wheel got rid of them. Also, in the questionable spots I used surface cleaner/surface prep for body work (auto parts store).