Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - single ladder bar for my 1950 street truck
View Single Post
Old 05-22-2013, 06:28 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by astroracer View Post
Hmm. I can see what you were thinking when you designed the front mount. I am wondering how effective it will be to control axle wrap. As loose as it is I really doubt it will have much of a controlling effect on pinion lift at launch.
It won't cause any bushing bind in the leaf springs because it will just saw back and forth on the shackle during jounce and rebound.
I will be very interested to hear how it works out. I would really like to see a go-pro vid of it in action.
Keep us in the loop on this please.
Mark
Mark, ill definitely keep you in the loop.
My thought with axle wrap was this: the axle body will rotate about the axles center line causing the pinion to climb. The top of the housing will rotate rearward while the bottom is 'pushed' forward. The upper and lower ladder bar mounts on the axle should control this movement and in turn cause a lifting effect at the front of the bar that is mounted to the frame. Now, because of the softer bushings at all bar mounts, and the shackle in front, the bar will inherently allow some movement and thus, not completely resist axle wrap. However, it can only move so far along all of the stressed axes, and ultimately it will control the axles wrapping. It's effectiveness will most likely be on a graduated scale rather than a pass/fail. So, in theory I've combined a ladder bar and a lift bar. There should be lift created at the front of the bar, and the axles propensity for rotation should be mostly controlled between the upper and lower bars on the ladder.