Hot Rod Forum banner

Single stage and duel stage air compressor?

18K views 24 replies 15 participants last post by  oldred 
#1 · (Edited)
I was wondering the difference between a single stage air compressor and a duel stage. I was looking at a 60 gallon single stage for about $750.00 bucks. I was wondering if this will work for paint and air tools or do I need a duel stage?

And what kind of plasma cutter should I pick up? I'm not rich so I'm looking for a decent lasting cutter and compressor that will keep me out of junk piles.

#3 ·
You should be able to get a 2-stage, 5hp, 50 gallon compressor for way less than $500. Here is nice unit from Harbor Freight

HF compressor

In general, you need compression stages for pressure and HP for volume. Single stage compressors can RELIABLY only go to 70 or 80psig. I know ads say they will do 115psig but that is really tough on them. As compression ratio increases on a stage, the temperature goes up. Two stage compressores split the compression into much milder increases with cooling between the cylinders and everythhing lasts longer. Two stage compressors take the pressure up to +120psig which is what you need for most serious applications. You need 5hp to get in the 10cfm @ 100psi range which, again, most serious tools need.

#6 ·
My two stage kicks off at 160 lb. Most two stage compressors are classed continuous run. That's what you need to run air sanders for hours at a time.

Troy

#7 ·
asennad said:
Hey Willys36,

Did you mean to link to a single stage compressor? Or is this a single stage that will do the job?
Woops! No I didn't . I picked the wrong one. Mine looks like that one but is a Campbell Hausfeld 5hp 2 stage. They have it listed in their catalog but isn't on their web site. There are a lot of parts they carry that aren't on their web site which is strange. Anyway, you can get a good 5 hp, 60 gallon, 2 stage that will serve single users of any tool for under $500.

Dubz said:
i have a 7 horse sinngle stage 2 piston compressor

what's the biggest air consumption rating you need?
Look for 10cfm @ 120psi (2 stage) and you will be in good shape.

#8 ·
willys-Are you sure about that price? I just looked at my HF catalog and the cheapest two stage campbell hausfeld compressor they have is $999.99 (in this book anyway).It is a 5 horsepower 80 gallon tank item90391-oxwa. They have some six to seven horsepower models for under $500.00 but they are all single stage.They also have a 7.5 horsepower 80 gallon 4 cyl. model that is also single stage but comes close to two stage performance (15.4 cfm@140 psi) for 899.99. I could be wrong but less than $500.00 for a good 5 horse two stage seems a little too cheap to me.But like I said I could be wrong.

#9 ·
You are probably right. I got mine as a gift many years ago and that was on sale so that is where I am getting the <$500 number. Still, HF has sales all the time and I'm sure it can be had for not much more than $500 on sale. For sure, Death should be able to get a good 2-stage for the price he quoted for the single stage.

#12 ·
[email]willys36@aol.com[/email] said:

Look for 10cfm @ 120psi (2 stage) and you will be in good shape.
just a question, what for?? i'm quite happy with my compressor, don't know what i'd need that much compressor for. Maybe it's because i'm a slow worker but my compressor seems to be great for any and every tool i've hooked up so far.

what are the big power robbers that you need these big compressors for?? or is it just so the compressor lasts longer since it's only working half as often?

#13 ·
It takes that size to keep up with a DA, or a long board . A good compressor will be classed as a continuous run, meaning it can run for hours without hurting it.

Troy

69 ss rs full custom camaro 98 ISCA grandchampion
69 ss rs bb camaro wifes driver
66 Elcamino 350/all dz parts,ac,windows,loaded,my driver
69 ss chevelle bb conv.fresh frame off
26 T sedan street rod

#14 ·
"80 Gallon, 7HP, dual stage that does 15.1 cfm @ 90 psi and 13.7 cfm @ 175 psi. "
Like Troy says, if you are planning a lot of body work and doing complete paint jobs, you will need the above power.
I got along with a 5hp, 60gal unit for years but, as soon as I upgraded to HVLP spray guns I noticed a big drop in performance. Spraying panels or doing lite body work is okay for the smaller compressors but, if you are going to do any major work step up the big dog...
Mark

#15 ·
just bought one of these for 869.00 just two hours ago

Yucholian said:
Home Depot has a 80 Gallon, 7HP, dual stage that does 15.1 cfm @ 90 psi and 13.7 cfm @ 175 psi. It's Husky and is made by Campbell Hausfeld with 3 year warranty all for $799. I am 99% sure I'll pick one up this week.
when i go to the store after reading the nets advertisement i almost ddint buy it and n fact i had done scoured the net and local places, the compressor actual only has a 4hp motor but runs at peak 7hp its a bit mis leading but it will actually give you the cfms and its two cylinder and two stage wth a 3 year pump warranty weighs 458 lbs was tough to get in garage but after weeks of price battles that was the best i could find for that range of money.

#16 ·
I have a single stage Cambell Haus. , cast iron cylinder [5hp. 60 Gal tank]. It will keep up with just about everything except my IR DA, those things are just air hungry, not that it won't do it, but it just about won't shut off. Maybe a more efficient DA out there then the model I have. Not that it won't keep up, but the comp will get plenty hot in the summer which seems to accelerate formation of condensation - good part is I seem to get good dry air by the time I trap the water. Painting is another story. No problems with using the HVLP guns I have - could be wrong, but I think it is rated right around 11 - 12 @ 90 PSI.

If had to do it again, I would go 2 Stage, but I got one heck of a deal on my single 2 years ago at Sears that I couldn't pass it up at the time. Got mine on clearance for $300.00.

#17 ·
I just bought a new compressor for the reason that I needed the air to
run my DA. It takes 15 cfm @ 90 PSI.
The good sanders typically take that much and you need a large compressor
to run them. Tank size has nothing to do with it, watch the cfm ratings
and compare. You usually get what you pay for in a compressor and I
personally think the Harbor Freight ones are very low quality.
Sears lies about their sizes, Their direct drive 5HP compressor has a
1HP 110 volt motor on it and it screams. I just got rid of mine.
Stay away from the oil-less (direct drive) ones, they're not as durable
and are very very loud.
This is one area where you want to get the best you can, it will last
a lifetime.

If you're running air tools you need a two stage.
A single stage will drop below the 90 psi needed before coming on to
pump back up, you'll run low on supply and it will work itself to death.
For just painting with a lower cfm gun they're perfectly fine,
that's all I had for years.
I'm on my 4th compressor now but I believe I got one to last.
It is about 17 cfm @ 90 and it just barely keeps up with my DA.

#18 ·
Anybody interested in a compressor should check this one out. I just bought one about ten days ago. It is a Kobalt K7580V2, item # 134749 sold at Lowe's. I think it is made by the same people that manufacture Bel Aire compressors. I found out that all Lowe's do not carry these. I couldn't even find it on their website. It is priced at $797.00 and I got an extra 10% discount for putting it on a Lowe's card. I think they are still currently having this same deal. Got to pay it off before the interest comes due.
It should be very good for a one person shop.

2-stage
80 gal. tank
7.5 hp motor (5 hp running)
22 amp motor
17.1 scfm @ 90 psi
15.2 scfm @ 175 psi

#20 ·
Im sure this topic has been beat to death but my opinion is.... stay away from the CH power single stage compressors.

I have the tractor supply 60 gallon CH power extreme duty compressor

why stay away
1. pumps are junk. I bet my compressor had only cycled 30-40 times when the pump let go. If I remember right the compressor repair guy said its a reed valve pump and the reeds are held in place by cheap rivets. He told me that his company is going to stop dong warranty work on CH compressors because they do SO much of it that they cant keep up.

2. very much underrated.

#21 ·
That's a good point that should be considered.
Like I said before, you usually get what you pay for in compressors.
I paid a lot more for mine than a competitors brand that delivered
the same cfm, The quality difference was substantial.
There's a lot of very low quality units out there so buyer beware.
Always check CFM, the motor amperage (not horsepower)
and what you're really getting, they vary alot.
And make sure it's a brand that's reliable that you can get parts for.
Some of this stuff from China may not be available later on.

#22 ·
Kampr, That does look like a good deal for that much money because it looks like the specs are real and not a lot of inflated nonsense. 22 amps is a good bit of power and 17.1 SCFM@90 PSI is pretty good for an outfit in that price range. I think you did ok.

Campbell Hausfeld :nono: :nono: :nono:

#23 ·
There appears to be a lot of misunderstanding when it come to air compressors and air tools.

The only real advantage that 2 stage compressors have over single stage is air pressure. 2 stage compressors will typically allow pressures in the 175 to 200 psi range. Not only do very few applications call for these kind of pressures, but it takes more horsepower to get there. As to life expectancy, 2 stage compressors generate more heat. Think about it... You are compressing the air twice. Heat is a killer to compressor heads.

The only important factor is CFM (cubic feet per minute). You will find that most air tool manufacturers (except paint guns) don't even give you pressure requirements, only CFM. Ignore horsepower ratings, most of the hobbyist targeting compressor companies have been required to back down from the peak horsepower claims http://www.aircompressorsettlement.com/

Make your purchase decision based only on CFM. Also pay close attention to the rating on the air tools that you buy. Most manufacturers give you average air consumption. Ask for the consumption under load. Here is an example of a very popular 1/2" impact wrench. Ingersol Rand IR231 is rated at 300 foot pounds of torque. It's average air consumption is 4.2 cfm. Looks good, your Campbell 6.8 CFM compressor can do this. The drawback is the 300 ft-lbs is at 22 CFM. The load CFM on the DA will be around 17 (IR311A).

Always buy as many CFM as you can afford

#24 ·
oldred said:
Kampr, That does look like a good deal for that much money because it looks like the specs are real and not a lot of inflated nonsense. 22 amps is a good bit of power and 17.1 SCFM@90 PSI is pretty good for an outfit in that price range. I think you did ok.

Campbell Hausfeld :nono: :nono: :nono:
It did say that it was assembled in the USA. They may have made all of the parts somewhere else and shipped them in though. I don't know. I do like buying things made in the USA when I can to keep us all working.

Danny

#25 ·
Reasly, you are right about the CFM since that is what counts and if it is low not much else matters but you are completely wrong about 2 stage compressors. Two stage units are a LOT more efficient than single stage pumps allowing them to produce more CFM from a given amount of power and they run cooler not hotter. The real advantage of a two stage is CFM and in fact a two stage is Superior to a single stage in about every way, think of a single stage as a car with only one gear. Single stage units are only built because they are simple and cheap to produce thus allowing a low cost compressor that meets the needs for some who have no need for large amounts of air but the advantages of the two stage units are well known and there is just no comparison between the two.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.